Expanding And Uploading Another Persons Mod On The Nexus

vonBennett

Does a mod that contains just an .esp which modifies another mod (and therefore requires you to download and install the other mod and all its resources) require the permission of the other mod's author? By default I mean, in lieu of any disclaimer by the other mod's author?

Nope...I just started to modify the original for my own use. Once I got things done I was thinking about sharing it. Having said that, unless the original author gives me written permission, I am just going to keep it for myself. I don't want to break any rules or post someone else's work without their consent. Thank you for your help.

Does a mod that contains just an .esp which modifies another mod (and therefore requires you to download and install the other mod and all its resources) require the permission of the other mod's author? By default I mean, in lieu of any disclaimer by the other mod's author?

Nope...I just started to modify the original for my own use. Once I got things done I was thinking about sharing it. Having said that, unless the original author gives me written permission, I am just going to keep it for myself. I don't want to break any rules or post someone else's work without their consent. Thank you for your help.

Of course, that's the right call when you're uncertain. I'm in a similar situation - I made patches for several clothing and armor mods for full compatibility with VIS-G & AE - and was hoping someone more familiar with the mores around here could clear up my confusion.

I think If I downloaded your mod....then modified your esp file in the Creation Kit...the uploaded that modified esp file, I don't think you would need the original esp file (or mod) for it to work? If the original mod had its own materials, textures or meshes and you didn't include them in the modified mod, then I think you would need the original? I could be wrong? I don't know....I am a novice at this stuff. I am a forester by profession.

ESP replacers are usually frowned upon, too.

You could try loading both the original esp and your version in xEdit, add the original as a master to yours, and try to turn yours into a patch. I tell you right away that this won't be easy. You will have to figure out which records in your file exist in the original already, and turn them into overrides.

Hmm, I wonder if that could be automated...

You can use a delta patch to create a .esu file that only contains your differences. You would then be able to rename it to a .esp and it would only contain your changes, while having hte original as a master.

To make a Delta patch:

1) Make sure you have xEdit (FO4Edit) 4.0 or newer.

2) Load the original version of the mod in xEdit (either rename your version, or put it in a separate folder).

3) Right click on the original mod -> Create Delta patch (near top of the right click menu).

4) Navigate to and select your edited mod.

5) Save and exit xEdit.

6) Rename the generated .esu so it has a different name than the original, and has a .esp file extension.

7) If you made a .ba2 file, or any files that require the filename to match, fix it to work with your new plugin name.

Delta patches are wonderful, wonderful things.

I was wondering this myself. I've been itching to modify some clothes, but I'm not entirely sure what the rules around that are (in other words, IF it still requires the original mod anyway, do we still need permission?)

Its proper etiquette to ask anyway, but if its an older mod (and as I've stated, the 'tweak' would still require it), and your basically just doing some retexturing, is permission still required?

Also, I would think there should be some sort of 'implied copyright' time-limit, just as there are with actual copyrights. There are a lot of great mods lying around here that are no longer all that usable because of all the 'updates' to FO4 have broken them over the years. I mean, if someone hasn't been around in, lets say, three years, then they won't be around (probably), and they just left their mod up (because if stuff was taken down, then that's definitely a no-no), it just means they no longer care about F04 modding. There was one in particular I saw recently, and someone in the posts section described how it can be 'fixed' with F04edit... but they can't post that fix themselves (just a how-to). That seems counter-intuitive, to me. Maybe some sort of system can be implemented for that? Post a 'new version' of the mod on the same mod page, so the original author still gets full credit? This would only be a factor in the cases where mod-authors have 'disappeared' off the radar. In that way, other community members can take up the torch and fix all those old (but still cool) broken mods.

And if a mod-author does come back and says no to it for any reason, it can be removed immediately (not sure why they would want a broken mod to remain on the Nexus when they can just remove it if they don't want folks messing with it). Of course, I do realize a lot of that outdated stuff gets left here because people who ARE mod-savvy can use it as a modder's resource (cherry-picking the parts they want and making their own, personal mods for them).

It's always best to contact the author and get permission. Failing that, however, the proper way to do what you're describing is this:

1. Create your mod as an .ESP file
  2. Use the original mod as a master for your .ESP
  3. Include ONLY your changes in your .ESP - make sure it does NOT include anything from the original mod
  4. Explain clearly on your mod's page that the original mod is required as a separate download, and provide a link to it
  5. Explain clearly on your mod's page that your mod is not affiliated with the original author in any way, unless you have spoken with the author

Doing it this way should clear you of any need for the original author's permission, since you're uploading only your modifications and not any of the original files. Be aware, however, that if the author of the required mod complains or asks you to remove your expansion mod, you will probably need to do so. That's highly unlikely, but some authors are very protective of their mods.

I'm not the expert by any means, but I'd say that depends largely on the permissions/disclaimer for the required mod. Some authors, for example, state quite clearly that the mod's content cannot be modified in any way without their explicit permission. I would think that means even a patch ESP, since I read it as anything that alters the content of the mod (as opposed to just the files). As others have said, when in doubt... just don't.

I think If I downloaded your mod....then modified your esp file in the Creation Kit...the uploaded that modified esp file, I don't think you would need the original esp file (or mod) for it to work? If the original mod had its own materials, textures or meshes and you didn't include them in the modified mod, then I think you would need the original? I could be wrong? I don't know....I am a novice at this stuff. I am a forester by profession.

ESP replacers are usually frowned upon, too.

You could try loading both the original esp and your version in xEdit, add the original as a master to yours, and try to turn yours into a patch. I tell you right away that this won't be easy. You will have to figure out which records in your file exist in the original already, and turn them into overrides.

Hmm, I wonder if that could be automated...

I'm explicitly talking about patches, not replacers. Everything was done in xEdit by "Copying as override" only the records I intend to modify, so my esp has the original esp as master. It may be the same kind of thing produced by xEdit's "Create diff patch" when fed a modified esp & the original.

Even so, I share Omegacron's view that even something like this is subject to the permissions of the original mod's author. It's just that often the permissions are less than clear, sadly. I uploaded a few small mods under another account (to which I've lost access) years ago, and I could have sworn it was necessary to explicitly indicate permission for several common scenarios, one of which was something like this.