Those "What have I done?" Moments

ClonePatrol

It was still cloudy when I left, and now I worry I might have accidentally doomed to fallen Nords to an eternity of bleak overcast skies. :confused:

I was about to post that I did the same thing in High Hrotgar, shouting Storm Call for fun while on my way to turn in a quest. Long story short, about 10 saves later I realised it was still raining. Clear Skies did nothing.

So, um, sorry for the permanent rainstorm, Greybeards, I was just bored...

--

Also, killing wolves on sight at several instances before realising I had the Voice of the Sky effect active which is a permanent Kyne's Peace and makes animals not attack or flee. They trusted me... :sad:

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he murdered his first housecarl in a daedric ritual.

...an ordinary day for my character

Maybe the biggest regret for her would be discovering and befriending Serana :rolleyes:

Til that faithful night she had no idea there could be someone more favored by her lord.

Now she is just jealous :whistling:

I definitely regret it, as murdering somebody in cold blood is out of character for my Redguard Knight, but I got to participate in a fun quest, disposed of an annoyance who would otherwise darken my doorstep in Breezehome or otherwise vex me greatly whilst adventuring, as Lydia is hardly a companion you are able to choose.

I also regret joining the College of Winterhold, again out of character but I just wanted some quests to do. Turns out they were fairly mediocre and uninteresting quests anyway. I've become quite the character player.

wait...the sacrificed housecarl was..L..Lydia? :ohmy:

I regret College of Winterhold everytime I have to go there as simply that questline is just illogical :down:

Well my character is a worshipper of Molag Bal so guess her heart became corrupted overtime , if she ever had one that is :thumbsup:

Yeah, because otherwise she would be following me or waiting endlessly in my house.

The Daedric Quexsts are really great, but I always feel kind of sullied working for a demon, unless it's a neutral/good one like Azura or Meridia.

The Daedric Quexsts are really great, but I always feel kind of sullied working for a demon, unless it's a neutral/good one like Azura or Meridia.

The concepts of Good and Evil do not apply to Daedra or the Aedra for that matter, saying Mehrunes Dagon is evil is the same as saying a Tsunami or Earthquake is evil. Daedra are the embodiments of their spheres, it's their nature. Natural disasters are part of Mehrunes Dagon's sphere of influence, hence the example earlier.

Some Daedra's spheres align with what mortals consider good, but in the end it's pointless to say a Daedra is good or evil, they simply are.

i had open cities installed, so that whiterun was in the open worldspace.

I was bugging the mammoths and giants just south of whiterun on a really low level character. I decided to runback to the city so the guards could deal with them.

2 giants and 3 mammoths proceeded to slaughter everyone in whiterun, while I hid on top of a building. :facepalm:

i had open cities installed, so that whiterun was in the open worldspace.

I was bugging the mammoths and giants just south of whiterun on a really low level character. I decided to runback to the city so the guards could deal with them.

2 giants and 3 mammoths proceeded to slaughter everyone in whiterun, while I hid on top of a building. :facepalm:

roflroflrofl

Sounds fun, too bad my rigs not strong enough for open cities :dry:

The concepts of Good and Evil do not apply to Daedra or the Aedra for that matter, saying Mehrunes Dagon is evil is the same as saying a Tsunami or Earthquake is evil. Daedra are the embodiments of their spheres, it's their nature. Natural disasters are part of Mehrunes Dagon's sphere of influence, hence the example earlier.

Some Daedra's spheres align with what mortals consider good, but in the end it's pointless to say a Daedra is good or evil, they simply are.

Eh. Dagon lives in what is essentially Hell, and he once tried to invade Tamriel by opening hell portals all over the place and sending his demon hordes through them to set fire to everything. And unlike a tsunami or an earthquake, Mehrunes Dagon possesses agency and reason. He could decide to not set fire to everything, but he never does, because setting fire to everything is his most favorite thing in the whole world.

So, yeah, not evil my bein miiraak. You can't argue that he isn't evil just because he doesn't consider himself evil. Down that path lies madness. Arguments like that always lead into definition games and amateur philosophy that render the words themselves void all meaning in the end.

If we define evil, than it has to be the human definition of evil. And by the human definition of evil, Dagon is very evil indeed.

Edited by Relativelybest

I'm not very good at roleplaying. My PC is basically my own self, but living in Skyrim. As such he only does things that I would do in the real world. I have a colourful career history and find myself, unfortunately, no longer able to really distinguish between 'game-world evil' and 'real-world evil' on some level. It's probably denying me hours of game play, but there are things I just can't and won't even pretend to do.

Combat against an armed foe is fine. I understand and enjoy that, much as in real life. They've got a weapon and they've chosen to go down this road with me. Fair enough.

Murdering people in cold blood is not at all fine, though. I regretted killing Grelod as soon as it was done and will admit to experiencing a very real sense of hate toward Astrid when she showed up. Her little game cost her one fancy suit of armour and her own head.

I then marched straight into the DB sanctuary and slaughtered every living thing within. I think I must have a psychic X-Box that somehow picked up on my feelings at the time, as that was the single longest, unbroken string of decapitation kill-cams I've had to this day.

To be honest, there's a hell of a lot of really tragic stuff in Skyrim- often in the form of notes and diaries- so I try to avoid adding to it if I can. I'd quite like more quests with peaceful resolutions and maybe the opportunity to bury unfortunates like poor old Balbus (eaten by a bear outside Whiterun) or the Lighthouse Family (not the band).

Playing a Chaotic Good Khajiit, I haven't had too many "What have I DONE?!" moments, but the scene where Septimus injects himself with the elf blood straight into his gut (which I seriusly was not expecting) and then getting vaporized by Hermaius I-control-your-mind-blah-blah-blah Abyssjerk (Not even going to bother spelling his name right) after long years of service and dedication left me a little shaken. I didn't even want the stupid book thing you get at the end of the quest. I tried going to a previous save so I didn't have to go and let Septimus die, but none were close enough.

And I'm dreading the day I go to Markarth and get wrapped up in the Forsworn quest. I hate/pity them, and I really hate the Silver-Bloods, so I don't know what I'm going to do. Same for the Civil War questline. I've already decided I'm going to join the Legion, but I can't bring myself to go and sign up. I guess I'll just keep helping both sides by killing every Thalmor I come across.

Eh. Dagon lives in what is essentially Hell, and he once tried to invade Tamriel by opening hell portals all over the place and sending his demon hordes through them to set fire to everything. And unlike a tsunami or an earthquake, Mehrunes Dagon possesses agency and reason. He could decide to not set fire to everything, but he never does, because setting fire to everything is his most favorite thing in the whole world.

So, yeah, not evil my bein miiraak. You can't argue that he isn't evil just because he doesn't consider himself evil. Down that path lies madness. Arguments like that always lead into definition games and amateur philosophy that render the words themselves void all meaning in the end.

If we define evil, than it has to be the human definition of evil. And by the human definition of evil, Dagon is very evil indeed.

Dagon possesses agency, yes, but not reason. Again, he can no more decide not to destroy than a fire can decide not to light a piece of paper. He is the living embodyment of change through destruction, and is absolutely incapable of doing anything else. His plane in Oblivion is essentially hell because it lacks consistancy or stasis, and is ever in flux, being destroyed and rebuilt only so it can be destroyed again. His deeds of destruction may be evil from a causal perspective, but they aren't from a moral perspective because Dagon is literally incapable of anything else.

Edited by Lachdonin

Yes, Mehrunes Dagon posesses agency and reason, but that is rendered largely irrelevant when the concept of change through destruction is intrinsic to his very being. Telling Mehrunes Dagon not to cause destruction is like telling the plants to not grow.

At any rate, my point was this: it's meaningless to classify Daedra as good or evil, you have to look at their spheres and recognise that their spheres are what they are. Just like Mara embodies the concept of Love, so does Sheogorath embody Madness. Mara is love, Sheogorath is madness. What mortals think doesn't matter, it doesn't change anything about the how the Daedra, or Aedra for that matter, act. They are what they are, they will not change, for all intents and purposes they are forces of nature. I'm not saying that the Oblivion crisis wasn't bad, I'm saying that Mehrunes Dagon did it because that is what he does.

On the subject of his realm, the Deadlands, I don't see how it matters that it looks like our idea of hell. Fire is a common represantation of both change and destruction, it burns away what is and leaves room for something new. Forest fires leave the ground very fertile, allowing new plants better conditions in which to grow. As a spirit of destruction, the Deadlands represent Dagon very well. It's also worth noting that the Deadlands are Dagon. Daedra don't have bodies unless they choose to, their realms are just extensions of themselves.

I guess in the end, it largely comes down to your definition of the word evil. I don't consider a being acting in the only way it can act to be evil. To me, evil is a deliberate act of cruelty for no other reason than to cause suffering and misery.

Some other examples for illustrative purposes:

You can say Boethia is evil, but without Boethia, there would be no Chimer. Most people consider Azura good, but without Azura, they would not be the cursed Dunmer.

Meridia is often called good because she hates the Undead. On the other hand, she also gave signifigant power to Umaril, who most would consider abhorrent.

No Daedra is inherently good or evil. They simply are.