Legal things

StevoSegalovic

Hello everyone!

I don't want to get myself banned so i have to ask some questions before sharing things with public.

1. If Person A made a mod and gave permission to Person B to modify it or use it or include files in his mod... does Person C need to ask for same permission?

2 If Person A made a texture file (.dds) and Person B uses that file and changes part of it... Does person B needs permission from person A to share his modified file?

3. If Person A made a model files (.msh .mmh .phy) in 3d program and then Person B changes all files (renaming and gff editing to recreate connections or even remodeling but using original files as a base)... does person B needs permission from Person A to share modified files?

4. If Person A made a script (.nss) and person B uses same custom script does it need permission from person A to share his script?

In all this scenarios all files are modified by person B (some actions require hard work - even hours of work) so in all this cases is it enough to mention original author or is it necessary to ask original author for permission every time just to be able to share your work and gain nothing from it?

Ok another legal question comes to mind.

There are many mods that are considered modders resources ( they are mostly texture files - skins, hair colors, eye colors, tattoos etc. or even hair models).

I know there is Nbaio mod that combined many mods together in one big download so the question is:

Would one need to get permission from everyone who made modders resources to be able to create one package for users to download instead of wasting time downloading hundreds of different mods?

(I know you are going to say yes :D still asking just to be sure)

I think all this asking for permissions is bs when you don't profit from it in any way (only mentioning original author should be enough) but like i said i don't want to get myself banned so i wont share any files without given permissions.

Yes. The author of NBaio contacted and received permission from every author who's material is included. Same for several other complex mods others have created and uploaded here.

Mods that are distributed by their author as a "modder's resource" are, in fact, free for (non-comercial) use by all who wish to do so. Our own The Vampire Dante has published several such mods for Morrowind/Oblivion. In those cases, the permission for use by others is granted, in advance, in the appropriate documentation (Description, Readme, etc.)

Ok few more question. What if the author of original mod is not active anymore? What if he/she doesn't respond to requests for permission and is not making any new files posts or any type of online response? Is there any time period after which his files become looked at as modders resources?

Does modder's resources have to be defined by original author?

For example i created mod that is using tmp7704's (Social Bioware member) files. i had to change all of them in order for things to work in my mod. From my point of view his files were modder's resources to me if i am modder and used his files (resources). His mod is replacing all qunari models in game and my mod doesn't do that.

This is what i mean:

http://dragonage.nexusmods.com/images/2776897-1342977269.jpg

So from where im standing it looks like i wont get any response from him so i wont be able to share my mod with the community (Legal things) and i bet lots of people want this mod.

Making mods is fun, asking for permissions is annoying...

BTW this should be sticky topic i bet other people are wondering about this legal things as well.

Asking authors for permission to use their work is not "annoying", it's simple courtesy. And it's required. :armscrossed:

As far as "remaining active"; authors are under no obligation to continue to participate in the Community, but players (and other modders) are under an obligation to respect the author's original ownership regardless. The rule in copyright law is (now, generally) "Life-of-the-author plus 75 years". That's pretty much what we go by here on the Nexus. :thumbsup:

Ok you may see some of my mods sometime around middle of the next century :D

This rules are funny because i already mentioned who original author is but im not allowed to share files that i modified myself without his permission. I understand when its about losing money but if im not gaining any profit then this rules are just annoyance.

Its like asking guy who invented fire for permission to light a match (upgraded version of making fire). But rules are the rules...

So if anyone wants to make a mod and share it:

1. Try to get permissions

2. Give up if you don't get it

Anyway thanks for answering.

You are free to do whatever you want with the game and mods... on your own machine.

What you're really asking is whether you can use the Nexus to DISTRIBUTE materials created by other authors WITHOUT obtaining their permission. And the answer is the exact same as it's been every other time and way you've asked the question: "No."