Legal things

StevoSegalovic

And im always free to show my mods on images section and show to everyone what they will never have :D

Anyway im mostly interested in me having the game the way i want it so this wont be a problem for me. Problem with this is that something i make can give an idea or teach someone else how to do things and that person could make something even better (upgraded). This is the reason why im here on forums helping people telling them how to do things. Sharing is a good thing you know.

Anyway thank you for your informations and answers.

And im always free to show my mods on images section and show to everyone what they will never have :D

No, you are not. Images that are created using rips or other techniques that would not be allowed to be posted here... are not allowed to be posted here.

Doing so the first time would probably just result in the images being deleted by a Staff member. Doing so repeatedly after being warned would result in the poster's account being deleted as well. :armscrossed:

No, you are not. Images that are created using rips or other techniques that would not be allowed to be posted here... are not allowed to be posted here.

Doing so the first time would probably just result in the images being deleted by a Staff member. Doing so repeatedly after being warned would result in the poster's account being deleted as well. :armscrossed:

Now that doesn't make any sense. What do you mean by "Images that are created using rips or other techniques" ? We keep seeing images that are showing in game play and on this images we see personaly modified versions of someone's mods. Authors are changing textures to armour and sharing their results with everyone on images section but are never sharing mods coz of permissions or other reasons. We even see images that are edited in photoshop or some other program that contain many mods from many different authors including modified versions of original work. No one ever ask original author if they can post an image coz his mod is shown on an image. If they need a permission from original author of the mod to post images then you can delete whole images section of nexus and ban everyone for sharing their images coz of this.

Edit : You actually made me read Nexus Terms of service. This is what it says:

"Aside from no nudity, you should only upload images that would be acceptable in the file database. This, importantly, means that you should not upload pictures of mods you are using that would not be allowed in the file database such as mods using ported or copyrighted content. Whether or not you use these mods is your choice, but please do not upload pictures of these mods in action to the Image Share section of the sites."

Ported content - content from one game made available for another game.

Copyrighted content - content from companies and people that is protected by copyright laws.

(user mods are not protected by copyright laws but instead nexus is protecting their intelectual property so they don't fit in here)

This means you can't put pokeball you ported from Pokemon game to Dragon Age Origins, take a screenshot and post image on nexus. That pokeball is ported content and is protected by copyright law.

But Bioware allowed porting from DA2 to DAO so images containing ported mods from DA2 are acceptable in the file database same way as mods are. In other words they are allowed.

So if im not using image created by someone else and if image contains only things that are allowed to be in DAO (no forbidden ported content from other games) and image doesn't contain nudity then according to terms of service im free to post images of my mods.

Edited by StevoSegalovic

Images that contain content ripped from other games (meaning other than the one being screen-capped) are deleted when they are brought to the Staff's attention unless the publisher has given permission for the assets to be ported.

Same for any image that contains material that, when asked "How did you produce that?!?", would require the poster to reply "I stole it.", or "I can't tell you because it would get me banned." :armscrossed:

Well my answer is "I screen-capped it and edited it in paint" so its fine (and it is the truth) :D

As i said if you are serious about removing any image that contains work from another author and poster did not ask for permission to post that image then you can delete half of the nexus images and ban more then half of its members.

Ferelden models mod contains lots of pictures with faces and every face comes with some unique armor mod not made by author of ferelden models.

Kirkwall exports mod comes with ported armors from DA2 that many players use when they take screenshot and post this images on nexus.

Almost every user got armor for leliana from sacred ashes trailer and they all show their characters wearing that armor without asking author of the mod for permission.

My own mods contain images with custom armors made by different authors that i like to use on my characters and everyone else does same thing. Well except for people who are making new armors :D

Are you going to delete all those images and ban people? No one is breaking Terms of Service by doing this. Using your own screenshots that do not contain nudity, forbidden ported and copyrighted content - is NOT forbidden according to Terms of Service.

When you change Terms of Service i will gladly pull off all my images and mods (even though they do have permissions or do not require one) from nexus.

No no. You misunderstand. It's not that you need "permission" to post a screenshot of a mod in use. That is expected and completely fine.

It's that you may not post screenshots that contain stolen/ripped/illegal content. See my previous post. If you can't say how you made it, don't post it. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

I think it has more to do with whether the author wants his/her mod be shared or modified as willed. Some authors are kind enough to mention this some where in the description of their mod. If it is mentioned and the author is OK with it, asking for permission is not necessary. Might be nice for the author to know who modifying his/her mod, though.

How do I know? Reading mod descriptions can prove to be invaluable in this particular regard.

No no. You misunderstand. It's not that you need "permission" to post a screenshot of a mod in use. That is expected and completely fine.

It's that you may not post screenshots that contain stolen/ripped/illegal content. See my previous post. If you can't say how you made it, don't post it. :thumbsup:

I would like to think that the Nexus also adheres to Fair Use laws, if you're wanting to be truly "fair" (which is really hard to do in regards to copyright since the laws are so ambiguous to begin with).

I can easily argue that every image of in-game content from Dragon Age, The Witcher, Fallout or of The Elder Scrolls games that was not created by the image's author (which would mean anything from their characters models to the environment they're standing in) is copyright to Bethesda and that the entire Nexus Network infringes on their copyright by allowing such images to be displayed. This is a technicality that many fan-sites seem to conveniently forget about. A really good example would be the ZAM Network's database websites which use various copyrighted content from the various game owners and they do so for commercial use (ZAM isn't just out to provide a service, they also want to make money, and the Nexus is no different*).

It's unlikely that Bethesda - or any game company - is going to ask you to take down the images but if they wanted to they could and would be well within their rights to do so.

Let's take another example: YouTube. How many videos on YouTube have 100% original content? I haven't seen any. Even something as simple as a Let's Play video infringes on someone's copyright. The key point here is that many of them are used in fair use. Most videos or screenshots made are in tribute of a game (especially mods) rather than to make money off of them**, therefore they could be classified as being created under fair use. I don't see why StevoSegalovic couldn't merely claim the same if so many others do.

Asking permission is obviously the first direct step you should take when using other peoples content, but if it's not possible to get in contact with a copyright owner than so long as you give credit to the original author of whatever content you used and you're not blatantly ripping it off to make money from it then I see no real issue with it. Modders and fansites have done it for years, continue to do it and will do it long past my death and will get away with it for various reasons (not the least being sites like these promote the game by supporting it with an active community and further replayability, therefore it's in Bethesda's best interests to keep the Nexus running, rather than shutting it down for arguably "petty" reasons).

* I'm not saying that what the Nexus is doing is "wrong". Far from it. I strongly believe the number one priority for any business should be to make money. Providing a good service is all well and dandy but you don't tend to get very far when you've got no money. Without "premium" services or adverts none of these great websites would survive, so it's only natural they want to make some money to counteract the costs of management.

** This usually differs from a websites motive (which usually is for commercial gain). Gaming networks like the Nexus, Curse's branch of websites or the ZAM network, whilst profiting of other peoples work also tend to be a great benefit to the original content owner anyway, as said above. It's free publicity, if nothing else, and that alone usually leads to more sales to the original owner (I know lots of people who buy Bethesda's games on PC because of the mods).

"Fair Use" has very little applicability to what is found on the Nexus.

These sites do not (primarily) deal with the kinds of things that are covered by that term as it applies to copyrighted material: "commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship". :armscrossed: