Need help about edit master file

wanqiqi

Hi, everyone

I'm keeping using GECK for a long time to create mods for FO3, now everytime I run fo3 I have to load tons of mod files. I'm really tired of this so my question is, is there a way to edit master file instead of plugin files? It seems it can't be done in GECK, but i am new to fo3edit, can anyone help me with this?

Thanks very much.

wanqiqi - Hello!

"is there a way to edit master file instead of plugin files?"

Yes, you have to change the .esm into a .esp file first.

You can use FO3Edit to do it.

MAKE A BACKUP of the .esm you are going to edit FIRST.

Just in case something unexpected happens. :)

Load up FO3Edit, expand the details of the .esm you want to change by clicking on the + next to it.

Left click on "File Header", it's details will show up on the right.

Next to "Record Flags" right click on "ESM" & select Edit.

In the box that comes up untick ESM.

Close FO3Edit, it will ask to save changes to the mod you modified, click OK.

GECK will now allow you to edit the .esm.

To turn it back, follow the same steps above in FO3Edit & tick ESM in that box.

If it's your own .esm, it's better to always keep a copy of the original .esp form of it & modify that before changing it into & .esm.

Of course, if it's some other .esm you want to edit you have no choice but to do it this way.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Hi Prensa,

Thank you so much for help.

Now I have a real problem here, in my fo3edit the right is always blank, i guess i click something there, no matter how many times I close and reopen, the view area is still blank, do you know anything about it?

Sincerely,

Jing

wanqiqi - Hello!

"Now I have a real problem here, in my fo3edit the right is always blank, i guess i click something there, no matter how many times I close and reopen, the view area is still blank, do you know anything about it?"

The right hand window should show flowing information as your mods first load, saying "Background Loader.........." etc.

Once done your mods will be listed in the left hand window.

In order for data to come up in the right, you have to expand one of the mods on the left by clicking on the + next to it & then selecting one of the sub records.

For example, left click on the + next to Fallout3.esm at the top on the left. Many sub headings will be expanded. Left click on "File Header" & the details of that will be displayed on the right.

You can expand other headings & left click on them to see their data on the right.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

“For example, left click on the + next to Fallout3.esm at the top on the left. Many sub headings will be expanded. Left click on "File Header" & the details of that will be displayed on the right.”

I did everything until this, but the right is empty. The details used to be displayed once, until I click on something.

http://p13.freep.cn/p.aspx?u=v20_p13_photo_1207210554316304_0.gif

Edited by wanqiqi

wanqiqi - Hello!

That's odd.

Click on the "Messages" tab at the bottom of the Right hand window.

The Right window should show all the mods you've loaded (left ticked in the initial selection window).

The last message should be something like:

Background Loader: Finished

If you have an error message there instead, that could be your problem.

Make sure your load order is correct & no masters are missing or loading below .esp's.

If there is an error message there & adjusting your load order does not help, copy & paste the error message here.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Hi Prensa,

Thank you so much for helping me. I actually foolishly clicked on the "Hide no conflict rows", that is why all the things vanished on the right. Really sorry wasting your time on things like this :wacko: Now I can continue my modding work. If I have any other questions I will come to you, hope you have time then.

Really appreciate your help,

Jing

wanqiqi - Hello!

" I actually foolishly clicked on the "Hide no conflict rows", that is why all the things vanished on the right."

Oh, I wondered what would cause that. :)

Just glad you got it sorted. ;)

Prensa