Having Issues Replacing a Tattoo in the Character Creator

Alright, so I've tried everything. I really have. I've been reading and testing and failing for the past several days and I can't seem to do this on my own. Everything just feels like a foreign language to me and frankly I'm at my wits end. I've never modded before, so this is completely new.

I downloaded the .dds from The Fenris Tattoo in Origins http://dragonage.nexusmods.com/mods/3443

I know I can't just add the tattoo, but I have to override one of the existing tattoos. I wanted to specifically put it on the Dalish slider.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it. Could someone please help me? I feel really stupid. Just a little step by step guide or something. I'd like to do it myself following a tutorial of some sort, but I think modding is just beyond my comprehension level..

I know I can't just add the tattoo, but I have to override one of the existing tattoos. I wanted to specifically put it on the Dalish slider.

Nah... Just drop the (extracted) mod in your "\override" folder. Seriously. That's it. :thumbsup:

That's my problem. I tried that and it didn't work. I've even renamed the file to all the tattoo file names I could locate.

And then started a new game with a brand-new character?

That's my problem. I tried that and it didn't work. I've even renamed the file to all the tattoo file names I could locate.

That exactly might be your problem. My guess is you tried to locate and replace modded tattoos. Problem is not all modded tattoos are added to character generation screen (CHARGEN) but are instead just used as a resource for dragon age toolset.

If you want to add anything to chargen screen you have to add it to chargenmorphcfg.xml file that you can open using notepad.

part of chargenmorphcfg.xml that tells you what tattoos will be shown on sliders during character generation screen looks like this:

<tattoos>

<resource name="uh_tat_av1_0t" />

<resource name="uh_tat_av2_0t" />

<resource name="uh_tat_av3_0t" />

<resource name="uh_tat_da1_0t" />

<resource name="uh_tat_da2_0t" />

<resource name="uh_tat_da3_0t" />

<resource name="uh_tat_dw1_0t" />

<resource name="uh_tat_dw2_0t" />

<resource name="uh_tat_p01_0t" />

</tattoos>

So if you want to add new tattoo for fenris that you downloaded my guess is you have to add new line and in the end it should look like this

<tattoos>

<resource name="uh_tat_av1_0t" />

<resource name="uh_tat_av2_0t" />

<resource name="uh_tat_av3_0t" />

<resource name="uh_tat_da1_0t" />

<resource name="uh_tat_da2_0t" />

<resource name="uh_tat_da3_0t" />

<resource name="uh_tat_dw1_0t" />

<resource name="uh_tat_dw2_0t" />

<resource name="uh_tat_p01_0t" />

<resource name="uh_tat_fenristat_0t" />

</tattoos>

After saving this file and starting new game you should be able to see fenris tattoo in character creation screen if you use sliders.

if you think this is to difficult thing to do you can just try to override default tattoos so rename downloaded fenris tattoo from uh_tat_fenristat_0t.dds to uh_tat_av1_0t.dds (you can see from list above that first tattoo will be replaced with fenris tattoo).

I hope that helps.

@Thandal - Yep! In theory it should have worked but apparently not.

@Stevo - I tried that as well, so I'm thinking it has something to do with the file itself.. unless someone else has gotten it to work on the slider and I'm just not getting it.

I did figure out how to work the toolset a little better via a tutorial video I found, so I'm going to make a preset headmorph with the tattoo and just override that way. (Since I know I can manage that now.)

Thanks for your help guys! If I ever figure out why it isn't working on the slider I'll post it here.

This might be reason why you can't get it to work

Section <tattoos>

This section appears to define the tint maps used for facial tattoos. However, the files listed are not those actually used by the character creator. Thus, it is not possible to append or replace these with custom files. It would appear that tattoos are hardcoded or specified elsewhere and that this section is unused.

At this time the only known method to achieve custom tattoos in the in-game character generator is either through the use of custom head morph presets or by overriding the default tint maps (by placing a custom tint map of the appropriate file name in the Override folder). If you wish to override the defaults, the races/origins that the tint maps are used for are as follows:

uh_pct_dc1_0t.dds - Dwarf Commoner

uh_pmt_001_0t.dds - Dwarf Commoner

uh_pct_dn1_0t.dds - Dwarf Noble

uh_pct_h01_0t.dds - Human, Elf City/Mage

uh_pct_h02_0t.dds - Human, Elf City/Mage

uh_tat_ed1_0t.dds - Elf Dalish

uh_tat_ed2_0t.dds - Elf Dalish

uh_tat_ed3_0t.dds - Elf Dalish

uh_tat_ed4_0t.dds - Elf Dalish