.2da Files

Herculine

Until today I thought I pretty much had the hang of installing NWN mods (i.e. I know where the most common mod elements get put in the game's installation folder).

However, I just downloaded a mod that contains a .2da file, and I have absolutely no idea what it is or where to put it.

I tried Googling and searching some other forums, but it looks like tracking down the answer to my question through those venues will require several days of reading text walls (which I'd prefer to avoid).

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

A 2DA should be inside a hak file attached to a module, but it can be placed in the override folder, and it should work, but you should remove it when you're done with the module to avoid overriding the same 2DA in anyone else's haks. What kind of mod is this?

Thanks for the reply; that was just what I needed to know.

Since my initial post, I managed to track down where I had downloaded the mod from last summer (a task that would have been made much easier if the author had included proper documentation with the mod or named its files something at least similar to the actual title of the mod, which also could have eliminated the need for this thread altogether http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/wallbash.gif) and I discovered that the file is only supposed to contain two prestige classes needed by characters in the mod. If that is indeed true, then it should be okay to leave the file in the override folder indefinitely, right?

Anyway, thanks again for the reply and I apologize for taking up space here with this as I apparently could have tried a bit harder to find the answer myself before posting!http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/whistling.gif

There's really no need to apologise for that. I had a hard time figuring out where to put all these files, myself, and I think this kind of information is good to have posted in as many places as possible, to make it easier for people to find when they search for it.

I wouldn't leave it in there indefinitely, if it's only useful for characters in the mod. The 2DA files themselves are probably used by the base system (if you tell the names of the files, I can confirm that), and leaving them in the override would cause interference with any other mod that has to alter those same 2DAs for its own purpose, which you may not even know the mod has in it, if it's in the module's hak file, like it should be.

I'd remove them after you're done with the module.

Edited by Tchos

I'd remove them after you're done with the module.

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks again.

I don't know much about modding the game (yet); is there a way I can add that to the module's .hak file to avoid such complications (and are there good reasons why the author would not have done so)?

As I understand it, no, there is no good reason to not put it in the hak, if the module includes a hak. But without knowing the nature of the module, I can't say for sure. I can say that the use and placement of files can be as confusing to some modders as it is to the players, though. I've seen some authors tell players to place their files into the version of the folders in the same location as the program itself, instead of in the "My documents" version, which is where they should go.

Yes, there is an easy way to put things into and take things out of hak files. This little program, Tani's NWNpacker, is very useful and user-friendly, if you can sift through the scrambled-up dozen versions of files on that download page and find the one named NWN2Packer_20080808.zip, which I think is the last version. (Leaving a zillion old versions of a file on the download page and not clearly marking the old ones as obsolete is one of the unnecessarily confusing things that I wish mod authors would not do.)

That does indeed seem very user-friendly (reminds me a bit of the TES Gecko). Thanks for the links; it likely would have taken me forever to find that. A Kudos point for all your help.