Upgrading my computer

Even if it's a high-res one and even if some game forces you to lower your settings or fps drops a bit, you'll never notice on a small screen.

With the computer I have now I definitely notice... I usually only get at most 20 fps outdoors with Oblivion, a little more in interiors (until I hit somewhere with a lot of resources) and in less intensive outdoor areas. I know what you mean though if it's already a higher fps and only drops a bit.

If I were ever to buy a bigger monitor (tbh I think the one I have now is perfect though), say a 24" like this one, would I be fine with only one card?

Edited by Guest

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would pay to see that! (pun intended :P)

So something like playing Skyrim with a lot of mods and with an HD texture pack and then still get a good framerate wouldn't need it, right? (probably one of the games I'd be playing most tbh)

EDIT: I put the one case tanoman recommended in my cart and removed the HAF X. I watched the video on it and it seems like it would be easier to install stuff in. Also, I don't care too much about noise because I usually have a headset on the entire time I'm on the computer (whether I'm watching Youtube, listening to music, or playing a game) and they block out noise :thumbsup:

I'm glad you took my advice :)

It's the same case I have, it's freaking awesome.

20fps is visible everywhere. But ~40fps (for 30 min) is perfectly playable on a typical 20"-ish monitor, or any CRT, or any plasma. On a LCD TV, not so easily.

If I were ever to buy a bigger monitor (tbh I think the one I have now is perfect though), say a 24" like this one, would I be fine with only one card?

If you like the one you have now, stick with it. It's not worth going 21"->24" anyway. Now, if you went up to 27" or a 32" TV...

One card is still fine for most everything, and will remain so until next-gen consoles hit the market, and at least a year after.

If you like the one you have now, stick with it. It's not worth going 21"->24" anyway. Now, if you went up to 27" or a 32" TV...

One card is still fine for most everything, and will remain so until next-gen consoles hit the market, and at least a year after.

Well, if it's still fine for pretty much anything, then I guess it doesn't matter what size case I get really. I don't see the point of spending another few hundred dollars for something that won't be all that noticeable :P

I might eventually get a new monitor just because this one is nearly 6-7 years old and might need to be replaced sometime.

Well, if it's still fine for pretty much anything, then I guess it doesn't matter what size case I get really. I don't see the point of spending another few hundred dollars for something that won't be all that noticeable :P

I might eventually get a new monitor just because this one is nearly 6-7 years old and might need to be replaced sometime.

It's interesting how we changed your mind from upgrading a tiny little computer to a mid/full tower with the latest GPU, I7, 8 or more GB RAM and like 1000w of power :)

EDIT: How much are you spending now?

Edited by tanoman

Like I said before, not a good RAM choice. If you need 16GB, take 2x8GB Samsung. Since no game actually uses more than 4GB, there's no reason for 16 for gaming though.

Not sure about the sound card. Do you have a hi-fi setup? Cheap speakers do fine with onboard sound. For games, X-Fi Titanium is optimal.

650W is plenty for any single-GPU, single-CPU build. Real consumption won't exceed 400W even under heaviest load.

Like I said before, not a good RAM choice. If you need 16GB, take 2x8GB Samsung. Since no game actually uses more than 4GB, there's no reason for 16 for gaming though.

Not sure about the sound card. Do you have a hi-fi setup? Cheap speakers do fine with onboard sound. For games, X-Fi Titanium is optimal.

650W is plenty for any single-GPU, single-CPU build. Real consumption won't exceed 400W even under heaviest load.

I have the two speakers that came with this computer I have now, and then a Plantronics headset (and then some other cheaper ones because the mic on this one broke and I haven't felt like buying a new one yet :P)

I thought the RAM was 2 8 GB sticks, but I guess I didn't read it too well. These are the ones I added to the cart: (x2) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233246 (I can't find the Samsung ones :psyduck:)

So is the extra just for backup? Or for powering the parts or something?

I'd suggest you just build a new one if I'm being completely honest.

My current (New) PC I built for around £500 (Roughly 750USD) that depends on the exchange rates though. I'd say my system has a nice foothold on the middleground. Not top of the line, but certainly not crappy either. I did buy a legitimate copy of Windows 7 Home Premium for about £65 (Approx 90 USD)

Had a look on Amazon. Here are my hardware pieces:

Motherboard: ASUS M5A99X-EVO (AM3+) (135 USD)

CPU: AMD 8-Core FX-8120 (3.1ghz) - (160 USD)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz (8GB) (55 USD)

Power Supply: 700W OcZ Technologies - (80 USD)

Hard Drive: Western Digital 1TB SATA Hard Drive (90 USD)

Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 Ti - You're looking at another 160-180 USD.

(http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-560ti)

You're only looking at around 700 USD for a decent system. I've attached the information about the graphics card.. That is my current system i've linked. Had no problems with it so far in terms of graphical capabilities. Skyrim plays on 60FPS on high settings :)

I'd suggest you just build a new one if I'm being completely honest.

My current (New) PC I built for around £500 (Roughly 750USD) that depends on the exchange rates though. I'd say my system has a nice foothold on the middleground. Not top of the line, but certainly not crappy either.

Had a look on Amazon. Here are my hardware pieces:

Motherboard: ASUS M5A99X-EVO (AM3+) (135 USD)

CPU: AMD 8-Core FX-8120 (3.1ghz) - (160 USD)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz (8GB) (55 USD)

Power Supply: 700W OcZ Technologies - (80 USD)

Hard Drive: Western Digital 1TB SATA Hard Drive (90 USD)

Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 Ti - You're looking at another 160-180 USD.

(http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-560ti)

You're only looking at around 700 USD for a decent system. I've attached the information about the graphics card.. That is my current system i've linked. Had no problems with it so far in terms of graphical capabilities. Skyrim plays on 60FPS on high settings :)

Hm, I'm going to look on Amazon and see if I can find the same stuff. Shipping will probably be cheaper, and the parts might be too.

EDIT: The case is already $10 more it looks like :P EDIT2: The graphics card is a lot more too :psyduck: Nevermind with Amazon on that...

Edited by Guest