Upgrading my computer

I'd recommend 700w or more if you are going to overclock (as you're are buying that fan), and maybe another fan, coz Coolermaster ain't that good in CPU coolers ABout waht Javalin says: DO NOT go with AMD! You'll pay for it if you do. I have an FX 6100 and I hate it, it's much more difficult to overclock and it's cores are much slower. He's right about ram. 8 gb is fine, if you're running any video applications then 12 or as much as you can buy hehe, but if for gaming 8-12 is more than fine. About GPU: 560 is good, but it's on the way out. If you have the money (and it seems you do) go for the new ones: GTX 670 or 680, or ATI 7970.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm, I'm going to look on Amazon and see if I can find the same stuff. Shipping will probably be cheaper, and the parts might be too.

EDIT: The case is already $10 more it looks like :P EDIT2: The graphics card is a lot more too :psyduck: Nevermind with Amazon on that...

I looked on AmazonUS and couldn't find the Nvidia version of the graphics card. Nor the current case I have.. The current case I have cost £30 (About 45 USD) but i'm guessing because the manufacturers are based in the UK, it will not be available in the US

I'd recommend 700w or more if you are going to overclock (as you're are buying that fan), and maybe another fan, coz Coolermaster ain't that good in CPU coolers ABout waht Javalin says: DO NOT go with AMD! You'll pay for it if you do. I have an FX 6100 and I hate it, it's much more difficult to overclock and it's cores are much slower. He's right about ram. 8 gb is fine, if you're running any video applications then 12 or as much as you can buy hehe, but if for gaming 8-12 is more than fine. About GPU: 560 is good, but it's on the way out. If you have the money (and it seems you do) go for the new ones: GTX 670 or 680, or ATI 7970.

If you don't intend to overclock, then it's not a problem.

This is the one that's in my cart :P

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121560

Hm, I'm going to look on Amazon and see if I can find the same stuff. Shipping will probably be cheaper, and the parts might be too.

EDIT: The case is already $10 more it looks like :P EDIT2: The graphics card is a lot more too :psyduck: Nevermind with Amazon on that...

I looked on AmazonUS and couldn't find the Nvidia version of the graphics card. Nor the current case I have.. The current case I have cost £30 (About 45 USD) but i'm guessing because the manufacturers are based in the UK, it will not be available in the US

The graphics card that I have in my cart on newegg is closer to $700 on Amazon compared to the $469 it is on newegg :P The case that tanoman suggested earlier seems like it'd be a good case, especially for the $80 it costs.

I've noticed that some things available in the UK aren't here (especially certain Nintendo products, as useless as some may be ;D)... Sometimes I actually want something I see, like a special edition of Assassin's Creed, but then it's only UK.

EDIT: About the money, I'm willing to spend at maximum $1500; I'm trying to keep it closer to $1300 or lower though :P

Edited by Guest

I'd recommend 700w or more if you are going to overclock (as you're are buying that fan)

It's not really necessary with modern chips. 3570K will consume about 85W stock and top out at ~125W overclocked. HD7970 consumes 230W stock and you can push it to 350W overclocked. Everything else isn't even 25W combined, that's under 500W absolute peak at hard overclock. Most of the time it will be much lower.

TX650V2 is a good unit with headroom, it can handle 700W peak and won't have a problem with 500W continuously (and this build won't do that much).

The case that tanoman suggested earlier seems like it'd be a good case, especially for the $80 it costs.

I'm glad you liked it, it's a very good case. I first bought it because it was cheap and it served its purpose greatly, but as soon as I finished overclocking I noticed how cool it was, what an awesome air flow it has. This lead me to understand that sometimes side fans are not entirely needed, specially because in some cases it disrupts the natural air flow (Like in NZXT Tempest EVO, where its side fan is s***).