Help Please?

Styxie

It's not that I'm new to modding, not exactly. I'm just new to DA: O modding. I don't rightly understand the tool set, but I have figured out some of the simple functions of it. I have one of the most noobish questions in my book and the bad part is is I feel like I should know the answer.

I've wanted to create new weapons for some of my characters but I do not want them to be OP. I just want them to work for the characters and what is important to said character/class. I hate when games are made way to easy by OP mods, I do like a challenge. But most of the weapons I've ran across via game system or computer version don't really fully work to what I need specifically.

I've followed this: http://dragonagemodding.wordpress.com/2009/11/11/a-start-creating-a-module-to-give-your-player-an-item/ to a tee for the most part. My issue is when it comes to the folder itself for the custom mods. I do not know how to make a folder for the particular purpose and I would very much like to. My issue is is I'm not sure how but I feel like I should know the answer.

This part is not a ploy for anything it's just an explanation as to why I feel like I should know how to do this but can not rightly grasp how. I have MS (Multiple Scerlosis) and I used to mod things before my first really bad exaserbation (flare up). I also used to do some script/coding w/ C# and the like. This includes an old SQL database. But when I had the first flare up, it practically obliterated my main know how of these things, but these can be re-learned.

So I'm guessing my question is do I create the folder through the SQL or do I do it some other way?

Any information or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

~Styxx

Toolset is not that difficult to use. You dont need to use any SQL commands or anything - toolset is doing that for you.

First thing you should know is what is MODULE. Game is separated into modules. Main module of main campaign is SINGLE PLAYER module. If you dont want to destroy something in main campaign then its best not to do anything inside single player module.

This means that you should go to custom module before you start making anything new for the game. Your custom module is considered as "ADD-IN" it means it adds something new to the game. If you change properties of your module and set it to extend single player module then your module (add-in) will show up in main game campaign. It will be combined with single player module. So as you can see there is NO NEED TO CHANGE anything in single player module in order to add new things or replace existing ones.

Next thing is you have to CREATE new module that you will use for modding. To do this click FILE -> MANAGE MODULES -> NEW. Give it name "Testing" (or whatever you want) change UID to "test_module" (or whatever you want). Then click OK.

Now when you click on FILE -> MANAGE MODULES you should see 3 modules listed. Demo Module, Single Player and Testing.

If you want to go to Demo Module then click on Demo Module and click open. Same goes for any other module.

You will mostly work in your own module so click on Testing and click open.

This module will be almost completely empty but it is ready to start adding new things.

Now lets see what we just did. Close toolset to avoid distraction. Go to your documents/Bioware/Dragon Age/Addins folder. Take a look what is inside.

You should now see folder "test_module" inside. Open that and go all the way to ".../test_module/core/override/toolsetexport"

TOOLSETEXPORT folder is used for anything you export from toolset. For example if you create new item and export it without dependencies the item will show up in this folder. Every module has this folder so make sure you know what module you had opened when you created and exported something.

It is good to make a shortcut on the Desktop to this folder because you will have to open it often.

Now close everything again and go to your "...documents/Bioware/Dragon Age/packages/core/override/" folder.

This OVERRIDE folder is used to INSTALL MODS.

For EXAMPLE lets say you want to replace some sword from the game and you know that sword has filename somesword.uti (all items end with .uti).

You make another copy of that sword (same filename) in your module, you give it increase attack +1000 (or different appearance).

Then you export that sword without dependencies and it shows up in toolsetexport folder of your test_module.

Then you copy that file and paste it in override folder where you install mods.

Now when you start a game and load your save game where you had somesword now that somesword will have attack increased by 1000 or different appearance.

Anyone else who puts that file in their override folder will now also have changed sword.

This is how you modify things and REPLACE them. If you want to add NEW things you have to use SCRIPTS (they are based on c++). I wont explain them.

Now what if we want to make something new, something that will have new areas, new story, new items and all of that is not happening in main campaign but instead in our own campaign. Your module can be your own campaign. Start the game and instead of loading saved game go to OTHER CAMPAIGNS.

You should see your mod listed there its called Testing.

In order to start this module it needs starting area (you can set starting area in module properties in toolset). There are lots of tutorials about areas and level layouts so i wont explain them here. You asked about folders so i explained what all of them do. Good luck with modding :)

• 4 months later...

Okay, sorry for my double posting in my own thing but I figured it was just easier to post to mine and to not clutter up a new thread. I'm pretty good with making the module's now after a little bit of time. My new problem has came with a reaction that more so made my head hurt. I've been looking around the forum to see how one may go about coding the items in. I sort of understand it and I sorta do not. I have a friend that's willing to help but C++ is not the language that he knows. So bit of a delimma there, lol. But I was wondering really if there is a good way to go about it that is semi-understandable. I mean I learn fairly quick, it's just the getting started part that I'm not so great it. When I see code it's like my brain freaks and I'm left with a headache.

I do already have my own script for my mods so that it doesn't interfere with the game and you know risk messing it up beyond repair. Just there's nothing in said script because I'm not really sure how to go about starting to code it so the items can be added. Any help/advice/guidance would be much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Styxie, please feel free to ask questions. I just needed more specifics so I directed you to a source of general information. I've written some small mods so I may be able to help if you have specific questions

Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I know, I'm bad at details when I'm like over-excited, haha.

I've looked at the forum posts on how to code in the items that one makes into the game. But I don't understand what is the best way to go about writing said code. I'm not sure how to start it or make it do what I would like it to do. I've created my items it's just coding them to implement them into the game.

C++ is not a coding language I understand anymore. So when I do see it it just makes my head hurt.

I'm not needing an actual code, just an example that doesn't look really garbled of how I might actually go about trying to code it myself.

I hope this is not as broad as my first post, haha.

The toolset doesn't use C++, it uses a 'C like language'. Trust me, it isn't C++

http://social.bioware.com/wiki/datoolset/index.php/Adding_custom_items_to_custom_modules_tutorial

Without a details, this is the best I can do. There are other and better examples, but this is the one that I could find with just a few minutes of looking. You are going to have to do work/research for this, The toolset wiki http://social.biowar...x.php/Main_Page has tutorials that I found very helpful In addition, I suggest just doing a google search and including everything that you want in the search parameters.

I learned by doing the toolset tutorials and asking tons of stupid questions, but you need detail. Have you created a module? Have you created an item? Where are you trying to add the item?

• 2 weeks later...

The toolset doesn't use C++, it uses a 'C like language'. Trust me, it isn't C++

http://social.bioware.com/wiki/datoolset/index.php/Adding_custom_items_to_custom_modules_tutorial

Without a details, this is the best I can do. There are other and better examples, but this is the one that I could find with just a few minutes of looking. You are going to have to do work/research for this, The toolset wiki http://social.biowar...x.php/Main_Page has tutorials that I found very helpful In addition, I suggest just doing a google search and including everything that you want in the search parameters.

I learned by doing the toolset tutorials and asking tons of stupid questions, but you need detail. Have you created a module? Have you created an item? Where are you trying to add the item?

Ahhh okies, thank you. I coulda swore that it was C++, I don't know why. I figured it was like a C language though because I dabbled in C# but was just learning that. And yes I have a module and some items/weapons. I'd like to add them to my character's inventory. I've read tutorials on it, just when I see some things it looks like it's a garbled mix of code and other things.

I used to be just a straight .DDS editor for the most part, but I am unsure where to look for those files so I figured I'd try my hand at the weapons part. I'll look at those and see if I can make heads or tails of it. I really do appreciate the links, that's for sure. They help now I just have to make sense of them, lol.

I'm more artist than coder. But I figure if I can insert stuff I make into the game, then I can hunt for the .DDS files so I can edit them to my preference. Although I have noticed that this is like the hardest thing I've ever tried to modify.

I really do appreciate the information though as well as the patience you've shown. I'll go through all of these and if I have more questions I won't hesitate to ask. Thank you kindly! ^.^