Driver performance loss

Ok so i have had this PC for about two weeks now and i bought skyrim during the steam summer sale when i first started it up it does its detect settings thingy and put the settings at ULTRA, however i dropped them down to HIGH due to a shuttering but i didn't really mind because it stills looks good ... now yesterday i was playing skyrim on HIGH and turned it off overlooking the volcanic tundra place then using the steam feature to ''check for video driver updates'' it directed me to version 301.42 for my nvidia gt 545 card (im on and alienware x51) it was late at night when it finished so i installed and turned off my PC ... then when i got up this morning i turned on my PC whent to play skyrim and it did the detect settings thing again, i though ok ... until it set me on VERY LOW settings ... i thought the thing was broke or something so i put them back on high and booted up the game ... at the same place where i was overlooking yesterday with 50+ FPS id say i got under 10 FPS ... and even on the very low setting my game is like 15 or 20 FPS

So how did i got form high to very low settings, is it a bad driver or something, this is really annoying

BTW i didn't put this in the skyrim thread because i assume its a problem with my driver and not the game

t seems that using the Windows Device Manager to install updated Nvidia drivers - OR to roll back to an earlier driver, no longer functions like it is supposed to. - Don't Do That!

Instead use the windows add remove programs to first remove the old driver completely. Then install the new driver, or if rolling back, the older driver.

OR, go to the Nvidia website and use their driver update - if that doesn't work, manually download and install the specific driver you want to use and manually install it.

More info on this bug here. http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1174372&mpage=1

Thanks for all this help guys but i made the problem worse, i uninstalled the last driver i had then had to restart, now the computer wont display to the TV i think its a problem with the Alien x51, but il just ask (god knows i would be stupid enough to do it) by uninstalling a Nvidia driver did i break the display of my computer is that possible?? ... once again it could be the Alien X51 but i said id ask

It's usually easiest and best to simply download the driver and run its installer. No windows functions, no explicitly uninstalling the old driver, just run the installer. Whether it's older or newer.

IF and only if you still have problems, uninstall and do a clean install.

Dyflinn432, you didn't break anything, but you're in for more troubleshooting now.

It still displays to something, or nothing at all? If the latter, when does the image end?

If the former, it's fine, just install the driver and open settings to activate the TV.

It's usually easiest and best to simply download the driver and run its installer. No windows functions, no explicitly uninstalling the old driver, just run the installer. Whether it's older or newer.

IF and only if you still have problems, uninstall and do a clean install.

Dyflinn432, you didn't break anything, but you're in for more troubleshooting now.

It still displays to something, or nothing at all? If the latter, when does the image end?

If the former, it's fine, just install the driver and open settings to activate the TV.

it cant display to this monitor im using now cause the cable don't fit (alienware makes everything smaller) i might get some cables tomorrow, BTW the image never starts the PC turns on fine but doesn't display anything on screen its just a blue TV screen, my ps3 works fine with the same HDMI cable so its not the TV