Kill Bill Katana Request (attaching sound triggers)

OneBoredBoredKid

Sorry swamped, but should have some free time this weekend.

No probs.

Finding a track that isn't copyright protected is harder than I thought, I think you should still use the RZA track i edited and posted a few days ago- just label it clearly as a demo, and put a readme in there going through the legal drama. I honestly doubt that nexus would shut down the page over it, and if they did then you can put it back up with a different song (one of the jingles from New Vegas or something).

I'm only pressing the RZA thing because the song works perfectly for the theme and provides the kind of atmosphere and ambient effect that goes a long way to demonstrating to people how they *should* be using music effects in mods and gameplay. Anyways, use the RZA track and people will love it, then if nexus gets mad, you can switch the track to "MUS_Flower_Duet_Lakm_KPM" from the game files and it'll be cool.

;)

OK the mp3 version is done, and it does bump a song instead of playing multiple sounds at the same time (instead it just starts again). Plus it allows us to use a silent mp3 to end a song at any time (I didn't implement that....but the option is there). The mp3 has to be in your data directory under "music\mysoundtrack.mp3". It's here.

I'd say remove the combat trigger altogether if that's the case and just keep the trigger to activate when the weapon is drawn, otherwise everyone's going to get their music playing constantly and overlapping.

Flip that, more conditions make it less likely to have the tune playing over itself. But I made a separate version for you that plays regardless of whether your in combat, it's the MySoundTrackMP3noCombat.esp. It still has the weapon drawn check so that if you sheath your weapon and draw it again, it should play.

I noticed that the sound stops when the player brings up the pipboy screen, so maybe there's a way to mimic the code that causes that mute- i don't know how to do that myself but in theory it's doable. In theory :)

It's just the way the function operates by default, if you add the flag it will play in menu mode too

I meant to say, have two separate versions of the same mod- one of them which plays the sound for every weapon the player draws, and then a second mod which only plays the song when a unique katana is drawn.

Yeah, that's no problem to put together, since it's just the equip sound. In fact it should be possible by using if/else statements & GetEquipped in this script to include unique audio for any number of individual weapons (unique) or weapon types (non-uniques) that only plays if the pc draws a weapon.

If you're able to make graphics maybe you could mimic the Kill Bill katana (if that's insanely hard to do or too time consuming, a regular katana works just as well), that way we could still have the mod be vaguely marketed to Kill Bill / Samurai fans. That would be a huge bonus.

Sure, I'll take a look. The Brides katana is pretty cool too.

since there's so many mods and DLC content

Yeah, I'll probably just put out special theme packs. Maybe a cowboy pack (357, 44mag, trail gun etc).

there'd eventually be an issue of having multiple weapons of the same type displaying

Nah, there's just 4 body slots and each type of weapon will probably only go in 1 particular slot.....max of 4 weapons being displayed (5 with your equipped weapon). The back slot (left shoulder diagonally to right hamstring), left holster and two undecided (thought maybe left and right boot, for knives). There are other ways of doing it but this is simple and therefore dependable/solid. It also gives decent combos, like a holstered pistol, a sheathed katana, a brush gun on the back, and a knife in the boot. etc.

Actually if you kept it only to pistols and guns in general (excluding tiny knives and crowbars) then the concept would work absolutely beautifully.

Heck no, gotta have knives (especially the bowie knife), and other weapons. But I probably won't do heavy/backpack weapons....or do them last.

But I really brought it up just in reference to a making a daikatana. The only snag I see is figuring out where a weapon is sheathed, since the daikatana is too big to go on the hip and has to be slung across the back.

Finding a track that isn't copyright protected is harder than I thought,

Yeah, the PD thing is tricky

I think you should still use the RZA track i edited and posted a few days ago

Not a good strategy brother, guaranteed to be a bag of hurt.

Anyway give the mp3 version a shot, it has a lot of advantages over the wav version.

Added a nexus page here and added a split second of silence when combat ends/weapon is sheathed/holstered to stop the mp3. There's also a optional file that just plays when the players weapon is drawn (regardless of whether the player is in combat).

EDIT: looks like Nexus is having a stroke or something, so that mod is down for the moment. Here is a link on media fire.

Edited by devinpatterson

Added a nexus page here and added a split second of silence when combat ends/weapon is sheathed/holstered to stop the mp3. There's also a optional file that just plays when the players weapon is drawn (regardless of whether the player is in combat).

EDIT: looks like Nexus is having a stroke or something, so that mod is down for the moment. Here is a link on media fire.

Awesome. I tried it out last night and it works absolutely perfectly. :devil:

I was going to upload a few tracks for it ...but with the copyright problem (which you're right to have mentioned) and the fact that each person would want to use their own music for it anyway it'd seem like a wasted effort to upload them and an unnecessary 50mb+ for people to download. But for "promotional purposes" so people understand the point of the mod a little better here's a few random tracks along with a link to a website which rips music from the videos and saves them as mp3's - you can put it onto the desc to they get a sense of how they *should/could* be using the mod for combat.

youtube.com /watch?v=C2cbIUkvDuQ (RZA : Kill Bill : Yakuza O Ren)

youtube.com /watch?v=nUyNjjQq_rk (Ennio Morricone : Kill Bill : L'Arena)

youtube.com /watch?v=9ZFhke6HoYQ (Kenji Kawai : Ghost in the Shell: Floating Museum)

etc (i'd choose basically anything from [insert favorite movie] which plays during a gritty or dramatic fight scene to capture the mood of it)

and http://www.offliberty.com (copy paste youtube url)

re: mp3s and issues with audio people might have. I didn't have any problems getting tracks to play, but if people can't get their mp3 to work then they need to edit and mirror the file info on mysoundtrack.mp3 (which was 192kbps). Format Factory 2.90 http://download.cnet.com/FormatFactory/3000-2194_4-10968547.html is what I've been using for conversions, and it can alter bit rates easily without messing up the sound quality.

aaand here's a header image for it - i feel like i should contribute something - ;)

http://s9.postimage.org/rw2u7ifx9/header_graphix.png

http://s9.postimage.org/rw2u7ifx9/header_graphix.png

(make sure you save it as a.png otherwise it'll loose its transparency and won't blend with the nexus background)

anyway thanks for making this, I'm looking forward to the brushgun mod as well and if you're needing help with audio editing or graphics on any other projects just send me a pm.

Awesome. I tried it out last night and it works absolutely perfectly. :devil:

Good deal, glad it's working

and an unnecessary 50mb+ for people to download. But for "promotional purposes" so people understand the point of the mod a little better here's a few random tracks along with a link to a website which rips music from the videos and saves them as mp3's - you can put it onto the desc to they get a sense of how they *should/could* be using the mod for combat.

Sounds good I'll add this and your mp3 info to the page. I'v been getting caught up in rockabilly as of late....I blame tiger army for sending me down that path. Even started to wander toward Fred Eaglsmiths stuff which I think is folk/rock. You'v got some good choices there for action soundtracks. I think the ghost in the shell one would be better for an ambient soundtrack, but the two kill bill ones are solid. Gotta say though I was surprised Ennio Morricone did one of them. I don't know how old he is now, or how many soundtracks he's worked on, but the guy is freak'n amazing....

anyway thanks for making this, I'm looking forward to the brushgun mod as well and if you're needing help with audio editing or graphics on any other projects just send me a pm.

Cool. Music is such an integral part of the fallout experience, I'm sure I'll be dealing with it in a lot of future mods.