I'm new, what should I download?

nagasumii

Usually with rpg pc games, there's a ton of bugs that never get fixed, and people release their own little fixes. I searched up some unofficial dragon age fixes, but they're years old, and I'm wondering if the game is bug free now that it's 2012, or if there is some special patch I should download?

Also any mods I should get that you feel are a "must have" that just make everything better?

Apply the latest patch (1.05). Yes there are still a few bugs, but nothing game-breaking.

Then play the game WITHOUT mods your first time through. It's a fantastic ride! After that, when you read mod titles and descriptions you'll have a good idea of the kinds of things you might actually like. And when you use them you'll have a much better appreciation for what they do for your game.

That said, here's one thread that discussed this issue at length: "Good Mods - Some Opinions"

It's a little dated now in that there are plenty of good mods that are more recent, but it gives you a few different people's perspectives. :thumbsup:

Thandal is right you should see what game looks like without mods just patched.

After you do that you will find things you don't like, things you think should look better, more realistic, more lore friendly, maybe more easy if you prefer cheating in games.

Then you will look for mods that make changes that you want. Its that easy. You can use advanced search to find top 100 most endorsed mods etc. but even then you will probably download only things you think you need or like so asking others for opinion is not best idea coz everyone have their own preferences.