[LE] How to adjust what actions affect skill progression

I am running a mod that strangely modifies the block skill whereby it only progresses through bashing and not actually blocking. I would like to change this! Where would I need to look in the records to make the change so that the block skill progresses every time you make a successful block, in addition to bashing, like in vanilla?

As far as I know the skill progression is hard coded, and varies on checks like weapon types and such to determine what skill is used. On some occasions, like with work benches and magic effects, you can select what skill is directly influenced by it.

I don't really know how to create an advanced script that could suppress skill progression, perhaps there might be a way through SKSE which I have no experience with.

It is hardcoded, but can probably be achieved via scripts. Just as an idea: Have a an Ability with an MGEF that is set to permanent and given to the player via a perk or any other way you like. Set its effect archetype to "Script". Add a script improves Actor Value "Blocking" by X amount every time the spell is used. Make a condition in the MGEF window (or ability window, not sure which is better) that the spell only activates on successful blocking. I highly doubt this is an optimal, or even a good solution, but you can find workarounds for just about anything!

Edited by skaybestrog

Things like the relation between skill use and XP gained are usually controlled by Game Settings, which are accessible from the top bar of the CK under Gameplay.

The defaults for them are listed on the CK, here: https://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=Category:Settings&redirect=no

Run a search/filter for ones that have Block or Bash in the name, see if they've been adjusted.

Edited by foamyesque

• 6 months later...

I know this is a bit old - but google is forever....so I wanted to add some additional useful info here.

The amount of xp an action contributes to its specific skill is controlled by some actor values, most specfically - the SkillUseMult -iplier.

So, to turn off a skill from progressing in the engine - you would set its specific skill use multipler to zero.

For more details, see this page in the wiki;

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Leveling

best of luck!