[LE] Help With Creation Kit and Mod

gorignak

So Dawnguard came out and I am still disappointed by how weak vampires are... I mean I go through and now I am a Vampire Lord!!!! Oh s*** is that a bandit?!?!! NOOOOO!!! ಠ_ಠ Really?

Tried a few already existing mods but they were either too complicated, too powerful, too weak, ridiculous, or caused glitches. So I decided to do it myself. I know what I want to do and mostly how to do it but I am stumped.

Basically Im going to add some vampire abilities as constant effects to start but there are like 50 different vampire abilities... And the only CK information I can find is on how to put in custom weapons or make buildings.

So my questions are:

1) What does the designation cr in front of abilities mean and when are they used?

This comes up as under spells > abilities there exist AbVampire1 and AbVampire1b all the way to 4 which are the weakness to fire and resist frost levels as your progress through vampirism. Then there is crAbVampire which adds resist frost 50% and weakness to fire 50%. But both of those are already covered in AbVampire4 and 4b. So what is the cr designation and when is it used.

A related question, these stages are as per dawnguard plugin and seem to totally replace the original vanilla stage progression (25% -100%) even if you are simply a regular vampire and not a vampire lord vampire, is this correct?

cr also handles vampire sun damage and unarmed damage fortifiers. The unarmed damage fortifiers appear to be leveled going from 5-7-10-15-20 (Dawnguard adds a 7th level that fortifies 25 though again its cr) though in game information shows a steady state fortification of 20 but only if you are a NON transformed vampire lord vampire. Regular vampires miss this. cr sun damage includes only 100% regen rate damage to magic, health and stamina though in game I believe there is health damage as well.

2) Which DLC added vampire abilities are used by the player??

I know this is a pretty vague question but there are a lot and only they dont all make sense. For example DLC1AbVampireLord adds water walking and adjusts the weakness to fire and resist frost to 25%. Now I know that this has to do with vampire lord transformed form because that is the only time that you can walk on water and you cant see your active effects so I have no idea about the fortifications. I can only assume this is whats happening. Then there is DLC1nVampireEnhancements which adds a 20% unarmed fortifier that I guess would account for the steady state I mentioned previously but it also adds 100% fortifiers to health and magic which I definitely do see evidence of in game. There is also DLC1PlayerVampireLvlXXAndBelowAbility which ranges from lvl 10 - 50 and are all named "Vampire Claws", it has water walking so Im guessing transformed vampire lord form? it also has an adjustable unarmed damage modifier ranging from 5-40%, it also has base damage resistance which starts at 100%... which unless it works differently in this game would make you immune to 100% of incoming damage... So invincible? Also at level 15 ( my test characters level) there should be a health, stamina, and magic fortifiers of 75% 10% and 60% respectively. However in game in vampire lord form I experience an 83% health increase = 125 hp, a 43% stamina increase = 60 pts and a 73% magic increase = 110 mp. So this ability clearly isnt effecting me. Then there is DLC1VampireLordSunDamage which doesnt use crAbVampireSunDamage but instead calls on VampireSunDamage04 which is part of a set of 4 obviously that refers to the stages of vampirism. But the effects under DLC1VampireLordSunDamage such as damage health and regen rates are already present under VampireSunDamage04 if slightly different, so do they stack or does the DLC1VampireLordSunDamage overwrite the effects of VampireSunDamage04? Plus there are also VampireStrength01 - 4 which fortify unarmed from 5-20... so again there is that

Sorry I know thats a lot but at least you are as confused as I am at this point :tongue:

3) Should I simply add new effects to preexisting abilities or create new abilities with the additional effects?

If I add new effects to pre existing abilities then I need to figure out which abilities to modify hence the above mess. Or I could add new abilities like.....

Champion of the night and Night stalkers footsteps are both separate abilities that all vampires have labeled as AbVampireSkills and AbVampireSkills02. If I created lets say AbVampireSkills03 with the effect of fortify health regen rate 5%, would this automatically add to the player when you become a vampire? (i doubt but I might as well ask) or do I need to edit something else to get it to add my new ability when you become a vampire like the way it adds champion of the night and night stalker? Or do I have to write a script to do it?

4) How do I alter fall damage? Is it possible to make reduced fall damage a vampire ability?

5) Feed off recently deceased?

Is it as "simple" as modifying the werewolf feed to work with vampires both in transformed and non transformed? Just use the same animations as feeding on sleeping people?

6) Make feeding add a temporary boost like drinking a potion?

Edit vampire feed effect? no idea how to do this

Thanks in advance. Hopefully someone can help me out.... Cheers.

So in case anyone has seen this I figured out a bunch of stuff but does anyone know if there dawnguard dlc uses its own scripts? Like I can just create a bunch of new abilities in the ck and then edit PlayerVampireQuestScript to have them add to the player. THe only issue is this script appears to using vanilla vampire abilities and not dlc vampire lord abilities. So my concern is that even if I do all this it wont effect dlc vampire lords. Unless there is a dlc edit to the script or a new script. Unless Im missing something.

I have been dabbling in the Creation Kit for over 60hrs. I'm finding it incredibly unintuitive to use, and Im sure a great many others here are as well.

Also, people don't live on these forums so don't expect a reply right away.

Beyond what Bethesda has released in terms of tutorials, it seems that what can be done by a majority of modders here is relatively limited, and it seems that the geniuses among the CK users either want to keep their findings a secret or simply don't post.

For now, try to search around for tutorials on the Creation Kit, even if they're seemingly unrelated to what you want to do. They may end up giving you a clue as to how to begin. Youtube has some good tutorials as well.

Im currently working on a follower with custom animations, dialogue, and voice, and am finding useful things under the topic of Quest Creation and house build, for example.

Best of luck. I didn't receive any replies for what I needed help with, so I had to look for myself.

Thanks for the replies, I figured out a bunch already like I said. I just edited one of the vampire scripts but it seems to only effect vanilla vampires. I would have to find a way to tweak dawnguard vampire lord vampires in order to have the full effect but there dont seem to be any scripts for the dlc. Ive looked into writing extended scripts but Im kind of lost and not really sure if it would even work. So if anyone knows anything about Dawnguard scripts let me know.

and im stuck again.... I created a new ability, just water breathing and named it vampire lungs. Saved it to an esp all good. esp is checked and loaded. Went to PlayerVampireQuest script and went to the section if vampire stage = 1 and I put addspell and then added my new unique ability. Which should work But doesnt. So how to I add the new abilities to my character?

• 2 weeks later...

okay so Dawngaurd does use it's own scripts! Helpful information here, you can't have them just yet. when setting up the CK you should get a bunch of script source and more pre-compiled scripts. I believe that with the use of the ck you can edit the source of scripts that you do not have the source for already unpacked (they should be packed in the bsa!) So to answer your question yes Dawnguard uses it's own scripts and more importantly almost everything you would want to look at is inside that bethsoft archive. You may want to just up and unpack the whole thing and rummage around, but my suggestion would be to load the dawnguard dlc into the ck and look for the effected items. quests maybe? Anywhere that a script could be attached and contain the wanted effects. Look more into the skill tree and look for information on making your own perks. (new perks excite users, adding a simple perk that shortens shout regeneration times unlocked by using your shouts would be a wondrous addition to the game.)

I'm loading up my CK now and going to look a little more into this.

Well I pretty much figured out everything. A few things I cant do until we get access to dawnguard scripts, but w/e. Basically anything you add to vanilla scripts will work in dawnguard so long as they are not being specifically overwritten by dawnguard scripts..... So if i create a new ability and use the vanilla scripts to add it when you become a vampire it will add to danwguard vamp lords as well. But if I just edit lets say, the vanilla weakness to fire from 25 to like 300 it will get overwritten by the new dawnguard scripts which change it to 20. At least I think... unless this edit is created in a custom esp that is loaded after dawnguard... thereby overwriting the danwguard scripts.... hmmm tests!!!!

Anyway thanks enchiwhatever for enlightening me to the cr thing!!! I believe you are absolutely correct

MacManChomp thanks too, custom perks are usually the way to go. You know you can use the console to set shout regen to 0. I did it once and went around spamming fus ro dah on rapid fire. Pretty fun. Would be cool as a perk. A question though about perks. Barbarian an Armsman both edit weapon damage by 20,40,60,80 % and they both seem to use the same method, that is using the perk entry point "mod attack damge" and "multiply value" function. So how do the do perks differentiate between one handed or two handed weapons??? Do you know?

On a related note what does AbFortifyMeleeDamage do?

Trying to create a vampire ability that boosts weapon damage to give the illusion of increased strength and im not sure whether to create custom perks mimicking armsman and barabarian and use them as the effects of abilities or just use AbFortifyMeleeDamage.

Thanks again.