End of an era?

Deleted3881394User

Recently I have noticed that a lot of the mods in Nexus are all becoming body/ cloth/ henati mods. Only about 1 in 10 mods are actually good quality expansion pack type. So is oblivion modding coming to its end, have all the good modders disappeared? For example the only good mod that has been released recently is Knights of the nine: revelations!

was your intention to offfend most of the people modding? or all? And going by the reviews KotN: Revelations isn't a good mod it's a completely showing Bethesda up awesome mod. Great mods like that take a long time and a lot of skill,

I know i'm working on a very large mod and also Terran Vampires Revived is being worked on. Probably there are many more in progress. these types of mods can take a really long time. I've spent about 2 months just finding and adding resources to my mod. Literally thousands of items. Then you got a couple of days to work out the more complicated scripts, each. Couple of months of building interiors and exteriors, same for NPC's and their packages, again with quests. I haven't even done any work with adding clutter but tbh that looks like a massive chunk of work. Then playtesting and bug fixes. Trying to find ways of doing what could be simple tasks but you don't want to mess up other mods.

a lot of people probably prefer to create mods that they can see finished, which usually means quite small mods that none the less can be, and often are, good mods.

Edited by cfh85

I hope not. I've been playing Oblivion for less than a year, never got past level 9, because I keep starting over, so I'd be pretty bummed if the mods just stopped coming. I tend to make little mods, because my computers not a gaming computer so I find them useful. If your talking about quality it's probably because a-lot of mods don't get feedback, so they might not understand that theirs things that they could improve on until they reach a wall, or their still new to the modding scene and just want to contribute to the site. I've been releasing a ton of mods lately that are probably useless, but with each one I'm getting a bit better and I enjoy modding more than the main game itself really. I doubt I'm the only one who thinks like this. Let's face facts, adding things to a massive game like Oblivion is awesome, you can pretty much shape the game into anything you want. I'm guessing a great number of the experienced modders probably moved on with their lives, or playing/focusing on Skyrim, so for now your stuck with mostly amateurs like me. :)

I don't think anyone should be offended, because the good modders are still modding, it just might not be on oblivion right now. And while I don't dare say the clothing mods are made by bad modders (hell, they are quite talented), they are the most released mods of late, with very few being content/gameplay mods.

I think the OP hit the nail on the head, but this late in oblivions life, most of the good mod ideas have already been thought up! So I say bring on any mods, even if it's clothing, because every mod is a piece of the greater puzzle for each player. It might be one small tweak here, one huge quest there, or that fancy set of shiny new shoes added by that clothing mod over there - they all add up to the goal of modding oblivion to each players personal taste.

I would love more gameplay tweaks and quest mods though, so anyone working on those don't be discouraged, people still play and love those mods!

I didn't mean to sound like I was upset. I'm sorry if it sounded that way though. :wallbash:

Xen pretty much said what I was trying to say, that the more experienced guys are modding somewhere else.

Modding Oblivion never gets old, so I doubt the mods are going to stop coming. You just have to be patient for the big ones, and in the mean time, theirs all those little mods to hold you over. I doubt the nexus has seen the last of huge expansion mod for Oblivion.

Recently I have noticed that a lot of the mods in Nexus are all becoming body/ cloth/ henati mods. Only about 1 in 10 mods are actually good quality expansion pack type. So is oblivion modding coming to its end, have all the good modders disappeared? For example the only good mod that has been released recently is Knights of the nine: revelations!

You realize that Lanceor was working on Revelation for years, right?

Mods like that are HARD. Clothing mods, on the other hand, are significantly less hard.

And amazingly enough, the existence of clothing mods do not, in fact, reduce the existence of quest/overhaul mods, which should be obvious if you think about it for a bit.

my girlfriend is always on to me about proof reading things I write. I never listen and they're always full of mistakes...

Personally I didn't find the OP offensive and I'm sorry if I came off that way. It's just that some times people forget that they need to have extra care of how they word things on the internet as tone doesn't come into so things are easily taken the wrong way.

I'm glad you didn't intend to offend anyone :biggrin:

Big mods are HARD. Everytime I think I'm making progress I have to go back and redo most of it for some reason. Also, in the process of making and testing my mod I'll be releasing several smaller mods (for testing etc) that are simply part of my main mod. So even if I do finish my mod I'll probably release 10-20 smaller ones in the process. I don't know how common it is but I've noticed that a lot of skilled modders just release 'components' for players to pick and choose from