Solution for being recognized as a mortal in dawnguard vampire quests.

swiftflame

Okay first thing first, even though this should solve most of the problems concerning doing the quests, it will not fix the bug where you are unable to do anything in your vampire lord form, and also if you do turn into a vampire lord if you have that bug that unable you to do anything, it WILL revert you back to a mortal for some unknown reason. I couldn't find the cause of this, but i'm not really a tech wiz.

When you are changed into a vampire lord for the first time, you are changed into a mortal by chance.

If this happens, after you revert, you need to open console commands and type in

" setplayerrace [race]racevampire" where race would be replaced by your current race.

Be aware, that the problem concerning vampires could be caused by you using a custom race.

Sorry if this doesn't help you though if you have the same problems :c

• 2 weeks later...
This worked at first but some seconds after the quest is updated to "Follow Garan" they all attack me again. I tried using the command again and again but it doesn' work. So, if someone knows what to do, please help me, not being able to play Dawnguard is getting really annoying...

I disabled the SkyRe mod that changed the racial abilites, read somewhere it might create some problems with dawnguard. then used console commands "player.setrace lunariracevampire" (replace lunari with ur own race), also used console command "set playerisvampire to 1". Then ran past the vampires in Castle Volkihar who became hostile and exited the castle, ran to the boat, zoned away. Once away from enemies I fast travelled to another location eg. Solitude. This reset the factions hostility in castle volkihar. From then i returned to castle volkihar and everything worked out fine again. the npcs there were no longer hostile and regarded me as one of their own Edited by tommarley

I think some race mods haven't been updated to address the vampire issues, and there has been an explosion of interest in vampires since Dawnguard. I would recommend looking at Expired's Tutorial "Creating A Playable Race - The Right Way" and adding scripts yourself, if the mod is not looking likely to be updated.

• 1 year later...

Not sure if this thread is closed or not but I tried the console command "setplayerrace nordracevampire" and it temporarily worked before. Second time I tried this it resets all my stats! I downloaded the mod but seeing as how I'm still mortal... I'm not sure how to continue my game. Dawnguard ruined a lot for me.

• 1 year later...

I have this problem and I'm playing with the vanilla high elf race. using the console commands as suggested above work, but any time I turn into a vampire lord and then revert back to normal form, the glowing eyes disappear and the denizens of the keep view me as mortal. I tried changing my race too but the same problem persists. I wonder if it is a bug that happens before you are first changed into a vampire? I'll reload an earlier save and see what happens when Serana changes me later after I refuse Harkon.

• 1 year later...