Editing the color on an armor mod?

PastaTapestry

I apologize if this was addressed in the tutorials sticky and such - I glanced and it honestly just confused me! I've only slightly messed around with the Creation Kit when it came to making heavy armor into light armor and making helmets invisible and such. I'm using Immersive Armors and I absolutely love the Heroic Imperial armor. However, the greaves/gauntlets/helmet are JUST like the heavy imperial armor in the vanilla Skyrim; it kinda feels less epic than the amazing chest piece (this is the armor I'm talking about: http://static.skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/images/19733-2-1341168023.jpg). Anyway, I'd like to accent like the imperial emblem on the gauntlets and the shin guard diamond thing on the greaves maybe. However, to my knowledge you cannot do stuff like this with the Creation Kit, you have to use an outside program and load it into the CK (which I see several tutorials on how to do that!). What kind of program would be good? I want to accent it with a gold that's the EXACT same color as the gold on the chest. How would I do that (tutorial links will be fine)? Also, does it give you like RBY numbers and such for stuff you loaded in there? Since I wouldn't know what gold to use. I'm only wanting to edit the armor for my own personal use, I wouldn't upload it or anything (know that'd be frowned upon).

Sorry for being long winded! If any clarification is needed just let me know. Oh and I don't want to make a new armor set entirely - editing the current one is fine for me (and seems like it'd be simpler; unless this isn't allowed).

GIMP is a good program, a lot of people use it or Photoshop to edit armour files.

Here's a link to it's homepage.

GIMP

I've only messed around a bit with doing a retexture of some amour from FNV, but it's fairly easy to grasp the basics for doing so. My suggestion is to have both armour files open at the same time in the program, and use the color dropper tool to get the tone and accent you want from the chest armour, and apply it to the shin guards.

Again, I've only barely grasped the basics myself, so if anyone else has a suggestion, I'm all ears. And well, this guy will be too.

Oh, and making a new armor set is completely allowed man! If you want to edit the actual mesh (the physical shape), than all you need is Blender.

Right Here.

Althought this has to be said: If you've decided to make your new armor set from the base of someone else's work, you won't be able to upload it due to copyright issues.

You can use it for yourself, just not for others. Hope this stuff helps man, and welcome to the Nexus!

GIMP is a good program, a lot of people use it or Photoshop to edit armour files.

Here's a link to it's homepage.

GIMP

I've only messed around a bit with doing a retexture of some amour from FNV, but it's fairly easy to grasp the basics for doing so. My suggestion is to have both armour files open at the same time in the program, and use the color dropper tool to get the tone and accent you want from the chest armour, and apply it to the shin guards.

Again, I've only barely grasped the basics myself, so if anyone else has a suggestion, I'm all ears. And well, this guy will be too.

Oh, and making a new armor set is completely allowed man! If you want to edit the actual mesh (the physical shape), than all you need is Blender.

Right Here.

Althought this has to be said: If you've decided to make your new armor set from the base of someone else's work, you won't be able to upload it due to copyright issues.

You can use it for yourself, just not for others. Hope this stuff helps man, and welcome to the Nexus!

Yeah, made sure people were aware I wasn't trying to rip off the guy's work haha. And wow, thanks so much! When I get back to my gaming computer I'll DEFINITELY be checking all that out! Much appreciated!

Any other programs that are recommended/tips?

Pretty much any tool mentioned here: http://cs.elderscrolls.com/index.php/DDS_Tools_Listing

GIMP and Paint.net are probably the easiest tools to use, whereas Photoshop is more advanced.

That list also contains a plethora of other tools that might come in handy when creating assets for games :)