Bethesda bought S.T.A.L.K.E.R (?)

NodTuGud

Not too many people I think ever played this game - siting the numerous crashes and graphics that ate video cards. But I have to tell with my more than 30 years of gaming it one of my favorites to this day. While searching the web to see if there was any news I stumbled on this about BETHESDA buying the rights to S.T.A.L.K.E.R.2 the sequel to the first 3 games. If its true I am totally psyched.

According to these sources, Grigorovich has retained the rights to all manifestations of S.T.A.L.K.E.R except for the rights to make the sequel as a game. Further, Bethesda have indeed purchased these rights, and are planning to make a sequel to S.T.A.L.K.E.R using their own engine and platform – that is, presumably, the Creation engine used for Skyrim.

My link

Edited by NodTuGud

So... I looked up S.T.A.L.K.E.R, and please correct me if I'm wrong because it does look fun - is it like a more serious Fallout, without the Fallout comedy and style? I'm actually interested in playing it, but since Bethseda already /has/ a post-apocalyptic series with Fallout, I'm really wondering what they'd be thinking in getting S.T.A.L.K.E.R to add to that. Maybe combine the two? But that'd be a mess.

I dunno. I kind of hope Bethseda didn't buy them - I'd rather they just make another Fallout game, but that's personal preference.

Hmm, the most atmospheric game I've ever played (outside of Thief), in the hands of Bethesda :thumbsup: Sounds too good to be true, but hopefully it proves to be a winning combination - seems to be on paper at any rate.

The original could be a bit unstable at times, but nowhere near as much as the follow up, Clear Skies - any problems in both being ironed out by the 'Complete' series of mods. I've certainly had more trouble with dead end missions and the like in Skyrim and Oblivion than I ever did with Stalker. Clear Skies was horrendously riddled with bugs though, before the Complete mod fixed it.

It is not uncommon in the world of business to buy a competitor and then kill it.

As mentioned before Beth has a post-apoc game. I think its more likely they'll canninbalize Stalker. Taking its best bits, pieces, tech and people then axe the franchise.

I heard about this some time ago, wonder how similar to fallout will it be. I keep dreaming maybe someday bethesda buys vampire the masquerade franchise and works his magic.

I really LOVE the Stalker games, but in the hands of Bethesda I honestly think they will kill all that made it what it was. Bethesda make way too mainstream stuff, and Stalker was quite a hardcore unforgiving PC game for its time, which is what made it so awsome, alongside its creepy realistic graphics and mood. Add an even more realistic overhaul mod to it and you have the most awesome post-apocalyptic FPS-RPG's out there. Fallout is nothing in comparison.

But if I recall correctly, some of the original developers have started a new company to begin creating a new title heavily based on the original Stalker-games. I cant recall it's name right now though, but it sounded awesome. I'm sure more info will pop up soon.

My son has told me Stalker is an excellent series. I LOVED Fallout 3 and Liked FONV but I always felt it would have been much more fulfilling if wasn't so... stupid? Maybe that's not the right word but although "Fallout Boy" etc. were sometimes humorous it was a bit absurd. Kinda killed the immersion for me. Always wished it was based on an actual holocaust in this world and not some alternate reality. Yes, I am aware that an actual holocaust would be the end of everything (gimme a break :tongue: )

If Stalker is like a more serious version of FO3... I'm all ears. :biggrin: If beth is taking it over as stated... I'll be... reserved but definitely interested. I'll be looking into the last version of it. Getting burnt out on Skyrim for now anyway. Thanks.