What to do with merged .esp files

Chosen215

Hi, so I have a quick question about what to do with merged .esp from the tool Merged Plugins.

I have no idea what to do with the merged .esp file. I have tried installing in via mod manager, only it never shows up. I feel like I am missing a step somewhere. Help would be much appreciated.

Hi, so I have a quick question about what to do with merged .esp from the tool Merged Plugins.

I have no idea what to do with the merged .esp file. I have tried installing in via mod manager, only it never shows up. I feel like I am missing a step somewhere. Help would be much appreciated.

Put them in an archive (7z. rar, zip,...), and drag and drop that into your mod manager? That's what I do with patches made with TES5Edit.

Put them in an archive (7z. rar, zip,...), and drag and drop that into your mod manager? That's what I do with patches made with TES5Edit.

Oh, that is a good idea. I will give it a shot. Thanks!

By the way, what is the tool you're talking about. I know about merging with XEdit, but if there is an easier/better way, I'd love to hear it.

The tool I am using is Merge Plugins.

Link: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/69905

I figured out the process for it. You just choose what you want to merge. Then drop the merged .esp into your data folder and enable it via mod manager. Then, disable the singular ones that you merged. You also have to set it up, but there is a handy video on the actual toolpage to look at.

Edit: Someone I want to mention, when you load Skyrim again it will give you the prompt that content is missing. I double checked this in my game and everything is there. My guess is that something about the merged plugin vs. singular plugins does something with the game. To be clear, you will get a warning but everything is actually there. :happy:

Edited by Chosen215

Ooh, that's nice. And it merges records? So, lets say you have an item with the keyword "Elven" in one ESP, and another ESP has "Mythril". Would the resulting record have both keywords, or would the last in the load order get priority resulting in an item with only one keyword?

As mentioned, I make a lot of my own patches, and about half of the work seems to be merging lists (formlists, keywords, etc.).

Edited by tomtheclone

Ooh, that's nice. And it merges records? So, lets say you have an item with the keyword "Elven" in one ESP, and another ESP has "Mythril". Would the resulting record have both keywords, or would the last in the load order get priority resulting in an item with only one keyword?

As mentioned, I make a lot of my own patches, and about half of the work seems to be merging lists (formlists, keywords, etc.).

Yes, with Merge Plugins it will copy the data for you. You don't need it, but it is there as a backup for you. Well, what happens with Merge Plugins is that you name the new plugin yourself. I name my armor plugin... armor because it holds all of my armor mods. Each individual plugin still "exists" inside that merge. All of you have to do after you choose what mods to merge is disable their .esps in the mod manager and activate the merged .esp. In the Merge Plugins thing you will have to check for issues / resolve them. Minor issues are able to ignored. Then you just check for issues. If there are none, then everything saves correctly. Oh right, you have to close merge plugins after you build the patch so that the .esp is created. The merge plugin will use the data from the loaded mod. For example, I disabled Merta Assassin's plugin because I have it in my armor.esp, yet all data related to Merta Assassin will be used alongside the merta assassin plugin in the armor.esp. Hope that I made sense and answered your question.

Oh about load order. As far I can tell, the order you select and add them determines what the LO of the merged plugin will be. So, it goes 1st added to last added and loads in that order. If you have any other questions, I'd be glad to share what I learned thus far.

Edit: I re-read your question and I think I flew over it. It does not merge the records. It just copies them into a new folder. It does, however, merge plugins which are used to activate a mod (if you did not know that already).

Edited by Chosen215

You said: To be clear, you will get a warning but everything is actually there.

So you have merged plugins and then loaded a save where they weren't previously merged? That isn't a process I would recommend.

I'd encourage you both to watch the YouTube merge plugins tutorial by Gamerpoets.

Edited by QuagaarWarrior

You said: To be clear, you will get a warning but everything is actually there.

So you have merged plugins and then loaded a save where they weren't previously merged? That isn't a process I would recommend.

I'd encourage you both to watch the YouTube merge plugins tutorial by Gamerpoets.

If it does most of the work, and all the user has to do is go back to tweak it here and there, I call that a win.

I'm assuming GamerPoets uses XEdit?

No that's not what we're referring to here. We are referring to merging ESP plugins with a program called Merge Plugins.

The merge plugin facility in xEdit is something different and not a process I've seen recommended on Special Edition

What I'm recommending is that you should finish merging your plugins before you start a new game.

In theory there may not be an issue doing it on an existing save but I see no reason to take the risk

Edited by QuagaarWarrior