Budget upgrades

gigantibyte

Here's my current rig:

i7, 3 gb ram

GTX 295

Vista 32 bit

Vista 32 only understands 3 gb, so before adding memory, I'd need to upgrade my OS to 64bit. This would cost $100++ and I may as well wait for Win8 at this point. Or get 7 on sale?

For video there are perhaps 2 options. I could buy a new card or add a second GTX295, used. For the first option, what is the equivalent # in the latest series. So many cards to choose from it's hard to tell. My video card has served me well over the years (and still continues to), and I've learned that a bigger number is not always better.

For the second option, the GTX 295 has 2 video processors, so it's already like running 2 cards. Can a game like Skyrim handle 4 video processors? Would a 2nd card help me run HD textures?

Thanks for your thoughts!

I'd need a little more information about some of your other specs, like how good is your power supply? What type of motherboard CPU socket? What type of I7, and what is the clock rate? What type of PCI-e slot do you have? And how large is your case? Is it a mini tower, or mid tower? All these factor in to what type of CPU/GPU upgrade you might be able to get.

If this is a factory model, which brand/model # is it, and that could give me all the above information.

If you want a decent upgrade over your GTX 295, you would be looking at spending at least $250. And go for an upgrade like a GTX 570 or Radeon 7850/7870.

Edited by Beriallord

I'd need a little more information about some of your other specs, like how good is your power supply? What type of motherboard CPU socket? What type of I7, and what is the clock rate? What type of PCI-e slot do you have? And how large is your case? Is it a mini tower, or mid tower? All these factor in to what type of CPU/GPU upgrade you might be able to get.

If this is a factory model, which brand/model # is it, and that could give me all the above information.

If you want a decent upgrade over your GTX 295, you would be looking at spending at least $250. And go for an upgrade like a GTX 570 or Radeon 7850/7870.

EVGA X58 SLI3 motherboard (Intel Socket 1366, PCI Express version 2)

i7 2.66 with Cooler Master V8 CPU Fan

3 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333 MHz

Zotac GTX 295

1000 watt Ultra PSU

Cooler Master 932HAF full tower

Vista 32bit

(Custom built by me)

These guys over here have done a good job convincing me to go with the GTX660 TI. The price should be around $300 and I can add 2 more as I can afford it.

My immediate upgrade is memory, OS, and a new programmable laser mouse. It was suggested I overclock the CPU, but for that I'll buy another fresh one to experiment with.

EVGA X58 SLI3 motherboard (Intel Socket 1366, PCI Express version 2)

i7 2.66 with Cooler Master V8 CPU Fan

3 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333 MHz

Zotac GTX 295

1000 watt Ultra PSU

Cooler Master 932HAF full tower

Vista 32bit

(Custom built by me)

These guys over here have done a good job convincing me to go with the GTX660 TI. The price should be around $300 and I can add 2 more as I can afford it.

My immediate upgrade is memory, OS, and a new programmable laser mouse. It was suggested I overclock the CPU, but for that I'll buy another fresh one to experiment with.

Your CPU would bottleneck using multiple GPUs. Especially modern ones. For tri-SLI you need a very good CPU + a decent overclock. Most tri-SLI setups I've seen people either used a SB-E, or an I7 2600k OC'd to like 4.5 ghz +.

If you got money to burn you should upgrade your MB and CPU.

Is that 1000w PSU modular? How many 8 and 6 pin connectors do you got with it?

$229 for an I5-3750k, you can get the I7 variant for about $100 more, but I personally don't think its worth it. Not for a budget upgrade at least.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

Here is a decent motherboard for 129.99 after rebate, SLI capable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128546&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

Also its a Z77 chipset, meaning if you choose to get an SSD, you can enable smart caching.

I believe that cooler master V8 will still work with that MB and CPU, but if not get a Cooler master hyper 212+ $20 CPU cooler, I personally have the same CPU cooler, and my I5 2500k is OC'd to 4.5 ghz with this cooler. I had to buy an extra fan, and do a push/pull setup, but fans are cheap.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

16 GBs of ram (Gskill) for $83 which is a good brand.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231556

All that still puts you under $500.

Also don't forget that lots of games are CPU dependent, and this would get you a HUGE upgrade in CPU performance, especially if you OD'd that CPU. Games like Skyrim, and Witcher 2 are heavily CPU dependent. I'd make the case for this being a more substantial upgrade than spending $300 on a GPU. You future proof your PC with this, and set it up for more future upgrades.

Edited by Beriallord

Your CPU would bottleneck using multiple GPUs. Especially modern ones. For tri-SLI you need a very good CPU + a decent overclock. Most tri-SLI setups I've seen people either used a SB-E, or an I7 2600k OC'd to like 4.5 ghz +.

If you got money to burn you should upgrade your MB and CPU.

Here is a decent motherboard for 129.99 after rebate, SLI capable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128546&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

First off, thank you for taking the time to write this detailed response!

No, there is no money to burn. And if I upgrade the motherboard to the one you suggested (with socket LGA 1155, I would definitely need to upgrade/change the CPU, as the one I have is socket LGA 1366. If moving to a new socket, perhaps a mainboard with LGA 2011 and the i7-3820?

Is that 1000w PSU modular? How many 8 and 6 pin connectors do you got with it?

Quite modular, yes. If there are not enough connectors, I'll order more. There are also spares from other builds.

$229 for an I5-3750k, you can get the I7 variant for about $100 more, but I personally don't think its worth it. Not for a budget upgrade at least.

What I mentioned above (LGA 2011 CPU & mb) can be purchased in two shots of around $350.

Also its a Z77 chipset, meaning if you choose to get an SSD, you can enable smart caching.

Funny you should mention a SSD. I notice most of the SSD form factors are 2.5". Do I need adaptors for the SATA and power connectors in my desktop? What's a comfortable size for a gamer? Should I install my favourite game on it, the OS, or both?

I believe that cooler master V8 will still work with that MB and CPU, but if not get a Cooler master hyper 212+ $20 CPU cooler, I personally have the same CPU cooler, and my I5 2500k is OC'd to 4.5 ghz with this cooler. I had to buy an extra fan, and do a push/pull setup, but fans are cheap.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

16 GBs of ram (Gskill) for $83 which is a good brand.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231556

All that still puts you under $500.

Also don't forget that lots of games are CPU dependent, and this would get you a HUGE upgrade in CPU performance, especially if you OD'd that CPU. Games like Skyrim, and Witcher 2 are heavily CPU dependent. I'd make the case for this being a more substantial upgrade than spending $300 on a GPU. You future proof your PC with this, and set it up for more future upgrades.

Does overclocking have the potential to wear out the CPU, reducing it's lifespan? My thought is to buy a spare before messing around.

Does overclocking have the potential to wear out the CPU, reducing it's lifespan?

Yes, even if it's done right. Almost instantly if it's done wrong.

People who overclock their CPU are usually those who can buy a new computer every 1-2 years, or can afford to manually replace parts.

Since the main reason why you would need to do this is for a triple videocard setup, the solution is simple... deal with having only 1 or 2 videocards. Unless you're a fps junkie and constantly running benchmarks to tell you how many frames you're getting, you probably wouldn't notice any difference. Since 3 videocards would probably also require a higher power supply, you would be essentially building a whole new computer just for a few dozen extra frames that won't necessarily make anything look better.

Does overclocking have the potential to wear out the CPU, reducing it's lifespan?

Yes, even if it's done right. Almost instantly if it's done wrong.

People who overclock their CPU are usually those who can buy a new computer every 1-2 years, or can afford to manually replace parts.

Since the main reason why you would need to do this is for a triple videocard setup, the solution is simple... deal with having only 1 or 2 videocards. Unless you're a fps junkie and constantly running benchmarks to tell you how many frames you're getting, you probably wouldn't notice any difference. Since 3 videocards would probably also require a higher power supply, you would be essentially building a whole new computer just for a few dozen extra frames that won't necessarily make anything look better.

The main reason to upgrade is to run high resolution textures. Adding a 2nd video card is a low priority. Based on the advice I've gathered, my current "game" plan is to purchase upgrades in affordable steps as follows:

1. more memory + Win 7 64bit + Logitech 10 button programmable laser mouse (already ordered).

2. 1 x GTX 660ti (after release of course).

3. SSD

4a. socket LGA 2011 motherboard with SLI 3

4b. new i7

5. second GTX 660ti

6. new PSU

7. cooling improvements

8. third GTX 660ti

Edit:

Looks like I'll need to fit in another Win7 OEM with the new motherboard.

Edited by gigantibyte

the benchmarks are out for the 660ti and its impressive

http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-geforce-gtx-660-ti-power-editon-oc-review/14

using less power then the 560ti, higher benchmarks and FPS then last years 500 dollar card the 580. its a pretty badass card

What a great time to upgrade at an affordable price. Being single GPU, I like the fact that 2 more 660ti's can be added later.