NOT ENOUGH COMPANIONS/FOLLOWERS FOR FALLOUT 4

TR71777

Currently, the most in-depth companions for Fallout 4 are Heather Casdin and the three followers from Tales from the Commonwealth mods. The Tales companions even have dialogue for the DLCs.

Also, the companions from Project Valkyrie are very good. I have not tried it yet, but the Darlene companion from the I'm Darlene mod sounds very promising.

Skyrim has about a dozen better than vanilla companions, plus the excellent ones found in the Interesting NPCs mod. Skyrim also has thousands of subpar companions that exist for a variety of reasons.

Currently, the most in-depth companions for Fallout 4 are Heather Casdin and the three followers from Tales from the Commonwealth mods. The Tales companions even have dialogue for the DLCs.

Also, the companions from Project Valkyrie are very good. I have not tried it yet, but the Darlene companion from the I'm Darlene mod sounds very promising.

Skyrim has about a dozen better than vanilla companions, plus the excellent ones found in the Interesting NPCs mod. Skyrim also has thousands of subpar companions that exist for a variety of reasons.

Interesting observations, and thanks for the information about TftC.

Tried that mod a very long time ago, but it kept crashing my game due to some conflict that I never figured out, not TftC fault, probably some other shite I had/have installed.

I've never played much Skyrim (have both Oldrim and SE), swords, dragons and stuff, never been my cup of tea. Give me guns and zombies any day of the week!!

Totally agree regarding Heather, imho best stand-alone companion.

I've never played much Skyrim (have both Oldrim and SE), swords, dragons and stuff, never been my cup of tea. Give me guns and zombies any day of the week!!

I used to share those feelings some years back. I was lamenting on this forum that I was tired of replaying Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas over and over, yet at the same time loving the open world non-linear shooter aspect. I asked if there was anything similar elsewhere. Everyone told me to try Skyrim. I was very hesitant but eventually, I gave it a try.

Now I love both Skyrim SE and the Fallout series. Currently, I am blown away by free Skyrim based game Enderal Forgotten Stories. It seems like the best fan-created effort to date.

Quest and companion mods are what keeps these games interesting for multiple playthroughs. Skyrim has many more of them than the Fallout series. That is one of the reasons we must treasure those who create such mods for Fallout 4.

I used to share those feelings some years back. I was lamenting on this forum that I was tired of replaying Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas over and over, yet at the same time loving the open world non-linear shooter aspect. I asked if there was anything similar elsewhere. Everyone told me to try Skyrim. I was very hesitant but eventually, I gave it a try.

Now I love both Skyrim SE and the Fallout series. Currently, I am blown away by free Skyrim based game Enderal Forgotten Stories. It seems like the best fan-created effort to date.

Quest and companion mods are what keeps these games interesting for multiple playthroughs. Skyrim has many more of them than the Fallout series. That is one of the reasons we must treasure those who create such mods for Fallout 4.

I swear sometimes Fallout modding seems dead.

WIP threads with 30 views for medium-major projects...

I am in process of internal testing on a completed companion called Malia. High level overview, Malia features her own custom affinity system that has 15 quests directly related to her affinity and eventual romance. Malia features random chatter, so she will say things randomly while traveling along with you. She has more layers of autonomy, driven by the Story Manager, than I can shake a stick at. I have created a custom survival mode for her, so she requires food, drinks, sleep. She has a custom build RADS system, since NPCs are not affected by rads in the game, not in a long-term sort of way. Malia is capable, via her autonomy stacks, to search for her own food and water under certain circumstances. She has more layers than any companion ever made for Fallout (in ANY of the games). She features roughly 6000 voiced lines of dialogue. Furthermore, she is fully capable of detecting and commenting on / using AAF as an animation system, if the mod finds it installed - this can be for simple things like hugging or kissing animations, but also included the more racier adult content featured on the Other Site, where Malia's WIP thread is located - simply due to the lack of limitations on screenshots or embedded video samples.

Malia is built on my RSE technology, so there are layers of custom scripting in her mod the likes of which have seldom been seen in any mod for Fallout.

Literally, Malia is everything you've ever wanted in a companion for Fallout 4. She is not watered down and actions on some darker, realistic-to-the-game-world themes. She is not a companion for a Sunday School kid, that is for sure. No punches pulled, drops F-bombs like they were punctuation and says some suggestive / lewd things when the mood takes her.

You can read about Malia HERE, though this is not her WIP thread (located on Lovers Lab) and the details are not 100% up to date - the jist is there for you however.

Developmental Work In Progress can be viewed HERE. Please note, this thread is hosted on a NSFW site and you may experience banner ads of an explicit nature.

Edited by joerqc

Heather Casdin is pretty decent, although her constant "ragging" on Piper does get old very quickly (even worse if you have a multiple follower mod, and they are together) And her "flavour" dialogues are somewhat limited, so after a while it get's repetitive. Her various "quests" and affinity sytem is quite good though, and she's a pretty decent 'scaling' companion that can stay with you through most of the game.

Darlene is ... Interesting. Her basic back story and concept is quite good. She doesn't have much in the way of "flavour" text/speech and her abilities don't scale as well as Heather's do. My biggest problem with Darlene is unfortunately the French accent.

The dialogue is very well recorded and delivered with good emotional range, but, unless you are used to hearing it, the accent is quite "heavy" and her dialogues can be a little hard to understand. It's also difficult to tell (unless you use console commands) where you actually stand with her as far as affinity goes, and the "triggers" for her affinity 'chats' are not easily discovered. (unlike vanilla companions who will forcefully interrupt you, sometimes at the worst possible moment)

Ada2Human is also an optional mod. Although it changes absolutely nothing with her dialogue or interactions, it is nice to have a "human" to talk to/interact with, and of course it allows you to put armour on her, and give her better/different weapons. Plus the mod give you some extra options for couple of perks and combat behaviours.

Hi

I use lots of followers in Skyrim. I think I have over 100 installed. I have them because after a few large battles some become unresponsive and broken. I use MHIYH on them because most will still work with it after they become broken and they help flesh out the game.

For Fallout 4 I don't use any of the vanila followers. I find them extremely annoying.

The ones I use are as follows.

T0-R1 Victoria Standalone Companion. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/13610

She just shoots and keeps her mouth shut. She is also usually the first with a stimpack if my character goes into bleed out.

Ellen - the cartographer. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15962

Ellen is a bit buggy while her quest is active but after it is over she is solid.

Vex the Commonwealth's Best Knife Fighter. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15401

By the same author as Victoria, she will stop following if you don't get a stimpack in time if she goes into bleed out. She resets with a dismiss so not big deal.

Servitron. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/32801

These make great followers and help to make Automatron less pointless.

Nora Spouse Companion. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/24680

This follower can get a bit annoying but it does produce a copy of your female character as you originally created it.

Heather Casdin. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23273

Heather is the least favorite follow I use for the simple reason she is not a good shooter.

Veronica Santangelo. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/27358

Probably my favorite with the NV voice files.

I would like more followers but what I would really like more is for them eat and sleep like my followers do in Skyrim.