112 members have voted

1. 1. Heavy or Light Armor?

• Heavy Armor.
    • Light Armor.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My current d00d is a neutral-good Archery + Two-Handed Nord ranger (think Dunedan), so Light Armor all the way!

(But, then, I've started branching out of my "normal" character-archetypes recently, so -- who knows! -- maybe next I'll do a chaotic-evil Destruction + One-Handed Altmer seeress covered in ebony plate, with a soul blacker than the night in which she lives ... :ermm: )

Light. In Oblivion you could get away with no armor at all thanks to enchanting (soul and sigil, especially sigil) but in Skyrim only armor is armor.

Pure Alteration's out. Even with the perks real armor always outclasses it and the Master level duration is gimped. Real armor is armor all the time.

Since you can hit the cap with Light there's little reason to use Heavy. At low levels all armor is weak. At the point where Heavy becomes noticeably better than Light just keep working the forge and press on through until your Light is near the cap. You're inevitably going to level smithing anyway, so instead of having good protection and being slow at 25 why not have good protection and be fast at 50? (With all fortify smithing effects Gilded + Scaled + Lord Stone + Alteration gets really close to the cap, and it only gets better from 50).

The one big advantage of Heavy is leveling smithing with Dwemer metal. There's so much of it you might as well be collecting snow. Leveling smithing is much less of a grind when neck-deep in metal. If you're going to take the perk that lets you work it you might as well reap the benefits and wear it, right?

Using Heavy as a transition to Light isn't a bad way to go, either. Even without any Heavy skill perks the Heavy side of the tree gets you protected sooner and you can make really cool-looking Daedric weapons to boot. The Steed Stone might be helpful for the transitional phase. Level Light Armor skill once you make the switch and work on your Restoration at the same time. Some people like being clubbed by giants, but horkers are safer. You be the judge.

My Dark Elf assassin uses elite DB shrouded armor (the Black Sacrament) which counts as a Light Armor... ofc I will never let anyone (friendly NPC) see me wearing that armor, so while in cities and towns, I disguise myself with a hooded black robe.

Edited by KedrenAderac

Hunting Grounds Outfit for my Werewolf character (light armor) , it is awesome and my only choice :) very useful especially if wearing hircine's ring , it looks great , doesn't matter one handed , two handed or a Bow , especially with a bow :D

http://static.skyrim.nexusmods.com/images/5634773-1363128263.jpg

I have recently started playing a pure mage again who favors robes. I combine the alteration flesh spells with Bound Mage Armor mod and it has worked quite well for this character. I really like getting the Telvanni Robes that are in DB for my mage. My Battlemages still favor Dragon Knight Armor (heavy).

Mike

@KingFrostMan: The classic Oblivion "Battlemage" look, yeah, I like that style.

When I pass the armor cap I'll go for a circlet or hood myself just for style points. Back when the Unofficial Patch Falmer Helmet nerf seemed like the End of the World I downloaded a mod that allowed circlets and hoods together, which made a certain kind of sense from the standpoint of mages sacrificing armor for more enchant hardpoints.

I stopped using the mod so I could trade war stories here on the forum (Master level / Unofficial Patch equipment rules) and be playing the same game as everyone else. Heh, before the USKP Falmer Helmets were one of those seemingly random objects experienced players farmed like crazy. You could watch some random dude play Skyrim and be all, "Oh, look, he's keeping the helmets. This guy must be pretty good." *chuckle*

<p>Light amor for the simple fact that it is much harder to get to the hard cap and that there's actually a good perk in the tree. That one that boosts the Stamina regeneration by 50% when wearing all pieces of light armor.</p> Edited by DanielMM6