My EVGA gtx 670 is not being detected. . .

As the title says, my EVGA gtx 670 is not being detected by my pc, (it won't show up under my devices, and it's not outputting a signal to my monitor- but my chipset is.) My pc has reverted back to its integrated chipset. The card is properly seated and connected to the psu- my 700 watt psu had 200 watts of power to spare, even with the 670 installed, so power is no issue. The fan on the 670 even spins when my pc is on, but I only get 1 fps in games which I used to get 60+ fps in with a far inferior 6770.

I have un-installed the old drivers from my AMD 6770, and I have done clean installs of the current Nvidia drivers, Evga drivers, and even the Nvidia beta drivers. None have changed the issue.

I have tried disabling my integrated chipset in an attempt to force my pc to use the 670, but the 670 still didn't work- my pc just switched to relying entirely on my cpu until I re-enabled the integrated chip set. I tried to enter my BIOS to force the pc to use the 670, but my pc wouldn't let me enter my BIOS- by this, I mean that none of the buttons that are supposed to have brought up the BIOS actually brought up the BIOS.

I'm really frustrated and miserable right now, as I don't have the cash to buy a new 670, but it's looking like this one was dead on arrival. Any help would be appreciated.

1. Make sure both of the power cables are in place, and the card is seated correctly to the mobo

2. Try sticking it to another PCI-e slot (if you have one)

3. Update your mobo BIOS

4. RMA

What mobo/CPU are you using?

Edited by kalikka

Some motherboards have a primary Video card slot that should be used first, then any secondary cards can use any other slots.

Check the manufacturers website for any advice. Most have a forum. You can also contact the tech support for that company there to find what their return policy is.

Any reputable dealer will replace a DOA board. Some will require you to pay to send the old one back first though - contact them for an RMA and any special requirements. Most want the board returned with all parts - such as any adapters or cables - and prefer it to be in the original box. :pinch:

EVGA site link: http://www.evga.com/default.asp

1. Make sure both of the power cables are in place, and the card is seated correctly to the mobo

2. Try sticking it to another PCI-e slot (if you have one)

3. Update your mobo BIOS

4. RMA

What mobo/CPU are you using?

1. Everything is connected and seated correctly.

2. I only have 1 PCI-e slot, but my other video card still works fine there.

3. How can I try this? My mobo is an M4N68T-M V2

Edited by Aegrus

my 700 watt psu had 200 watts of power to spare

Wattage means nothing. Especially on some junk PSU's, even some higher quality PSU's, as they use a combined 12v rail. You need to have a min of 30 amps across the 12v rails for it to even post if you're using a CPU made within the last year or two. Though most people are saying 32-35 amps just to be sure on a dedicated +12 pcie line. The card runs cooler than the previous 500 series, but it's power hungry.

Post your model and brand of PSU, that'll help.

Edited by Mashiki

Thanks for the advice, everyone, but I got it working. It just randomly was detected after I took it out and put it back in for a third time- perhaps because I cleaned my pc of dust this time? Seems to be working great now. I'm not getting below 60 fps in anything ultra, even with ambient occlusion and lots of anti-aliasing enforced. It's also quieter and cooler than my AMD 6770. This card is amazing. :D Edited by Aegrus

If that's the case, it could be that your PSU is actually right at the limit for the videocard then. So it was getting just hot enough trying to power up it was tripping the internal thermal switch. Something you might not know, you actually lose between 15 and 25% of it's rated wattage and amperage in the first year. And between 1-5% every following year.

Glad to know you got it up and working though, cheers and enjoy they're a great card.

• 3 months later...

If that's the case, it could be that your PSU is actually right at the limit for the videocard then. So it was getting just hot enough trying to power up it was tripping the internal thermal switch. Something you might not know, you actually lose between 15 and 25% of it's rated wattage and amperage in the first year. And between 1-5% every following year.

Glad to know you got it up and working though, cheers and enjoy they're a great card.

Are you referring to the buildup of heat from accumulated dust in the power supply? Or are you saying the power supply simply degrades that drastically in its first year?

I can see that on cheaper power supplies, or power supplies that aren't cleaned of dust when needed, but I have some reservations in believing that any PSU worth it's weight in gold would degrade that drastically. Capacitors today hardly even begin to corrode after 5 years of average use. The only way I can see a PSU degrading this quickly, is if it is constantly under the poorest of conditions. High dust, excess heat, and under high load constantly.

Also Aegrus I am glad to hear you got your card working (enjoy it!) but the fact that it didn't work the first few times is troubling. You could have a problem still, and now it could take your GPU with it. I too am going to guess it is your PSU. We can eliminate the card though from fault if you go to a friends house or open up another one of your own computers and plug in the 670. If it works right away, and in multiple computers we know its not the card. Which leaves either your PSU or your motherboard.

Are you referring to the buildup of heat from accumulated dust in the power supply? Or are you saying the power supply simply degrades that drastically in its first year?

I can see that on cheaper power supplies, or power supplies that aren't cleaned of dust when needed, but I have some reservations in believing that any PSU worth it's weight in gold would degrade that drastically. Capacitors today hardly even begin to corrode after 5 years of average use. The only way I can see a PSU degrading this quickly, is if it is constantly under the poorest of conditions. High dust, excess heat, and under high load constantly.

Also Aegrus I am glad to hear you got your card working (enjoy it!) but the fact that it didn't work the first few times is troubling. You could have a problem still, and now it could take your GPU with it. I too am going to guess it is your PSU. We can eliminate the card though from fault if you go to a friends house or open up another one of your own computers and plug in the 670. If it works right away, and in multiple computers we know its not the card. Which leaves either your PSU or your motherboard.

Aegrus and I have stayed in contact, as we know each other in real life. As it happens, he returned the 670 eventually (and got a full refund), and ended up with a 560 SC for half the cost. From what I hear, his 670 didn't work correctly for very long.

Edited by Rennn