Pay to Upgrade Weapons and Armor

dunamisdeos

Wouldn't it be nice if you could walk up to the Skyforge and say something like, hey man, you probably have like, more than 30 levels in smithing. Think you could upgrade my iron stuff to higher than fine?

It seems silly to me that to wield anything higher than fine iron you need to level smithing. Like you're the only guy in Skyrim who can grind iron daggers. How hard would it be for someone to make a mod that adds a dialogue option to existing smiths, or maybe new merchants at those locations who charge, say...

(150 + L) + (M x1.5)

per upgrade? Hard? Easy? It would mean that yes, leveling smithing would save you piles of money, and the NPC smith obviously isn't using enchantments or potions (so that leveling smithing will also bring higher quality goods), but if you don't want to blow 15 character levels on smithing to wield kickbutt weaponry, you don't have to.

L = Level of upgrade. An extra 100 for each level. Ergo, fine is L = 100. Superior is L = 200. Etc.

M= Material Costs. This should keep things costly as per your character level. You will not be upgrading your daedric warhammer unless you can afford both ebony and a daedra heart. Similarly, the cost of iron is negligible, as per the means of lower level character. Has this been suggested before, for that matter? Nothing on a search.

Also I don't know or care if I put the parenthesis in the right place for the fancy math formula. School was a long time ago. :armscrossed:

The idea there is 150 plus L, plus the result of M multiplied by 1.5.

Edited by dunamisdeos

I would love to have that option instead of just wasting my hard-earned perk points on some dead end skills!

Exactly, that's my main beef with the system as it is. If I am the level 45 leader of the dark brotherhood, I should not have to burn 5 perk points to get a flawless quality dagger. The problem is doing this without making the smithing skill meaningless, but I feel I've put enough thought into it that this shouldn't happen.