Blender/Nifskope Confusion

ChampionOfHircine

I spent hours trying to figure out how to get a model made in Blender into .nif format. I couldn't figure out how to do it using the 2.49 plugin. Eventually I figured out I can export as a .3ds, import it into gmax, then export as a .nif (because I don't want to relearn to model in gmax). Then after opening the model in Nifskope I found an option to import .3ds models into Nifskope. I tried it, it worked (I think) and I resaved it as a .nif. I don't really know what I'm doing so I thought I'd ask if there's anything wrong with doing it this way. I spent all those hours trying to figure this out and this way just seems too simple to be right I guess.

Also, can someone direct me to a video tutorial on texturing a model with .dds in Blender? Specifically the way that vanilla Skyrim models are textured? From what I can tell each model uses several different textures with one on each object in the model, is that right?

I spent hours trying to figure out how to get a model made in Blender into .nif format. I couldn't figure out how to do it using the 2.49 plugin. Eventually I figured out I can export as a .3ds, import it into gmax, then export as a .nif (because I don't want to relearn to model in gmax). Then after opening the model in Nifskope I found an option to import .3ds models into Nifskope. I tried it, it worked (I think) and I resaved it as a .nif. I don't really know what I'm doing so I thought I'd ask if there's anything wrong with doing it this way. I spent all those hours trying to figure this out and this way just seems too simple to be right I guess.

Also, can someone direct me to a video tutorial on texturing a model with .dds in Blender? Specifically the way that vanilla Skyrim models are textured? From what I can tell each model uses several different textures with one on each object in the model, is that right?

Blender Nif Script. importer and exporter for blender..

about texturing tutorials, i'll go with youtube for video tutorial or you might want check FO3 section, its pretty much the same thing with skyrim..

Edited by ebony_ivory

Well I gave 2.49 another shot and it didn't work. If I had to guess I'd say it has something to do with opening a file made in a newer version of Blender. It says something like "key data may be lost". Anyway, my question was is there anything wrong with the way I did it? So much easier. Just export as .3ds and import into Nifskope. Any reason I shouldn't do it this way?

I'm trying to make a static mesh. I figured out what the problem is with 2.49. I assumed it put my model in wireframe mode when I opened it but it actually was deleting all of the faces of the mesh. I figured it had something to do with ngons since 2.49 can't have any. I tried triangulating the whole mesh in 2.63 but 2.49 still deletes the faces. Any ideas on how to fix this? I'd really rather not replace all 900 faces manually. :(

Edit: Figured it out, had to save in legacy format.

Edited by ChampionOfHircine