Is oblivion Fun to Play after playing skyrim?

WhiterunPrince

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

100 hours into Oblivion and you're still level 4, Stemin? I've never heard of such of thing happening. I suggest there may be something wrong with your setup, especially seeing as how you can't seem to install the UOP, which has installed without a hitch for me every time I've had to reinstall Oblivion for one reason or another.

The 100 hours are on the xbox as I got fed up with the crappy UI on PC and lack of gamepad options. So I don't see how there could be a setup issue unless you're referring to my in game choices. I spent most of that time doing the quest to cure myself of vampirism, since to my annoyance just sleeping a few times progressed my vampirism to stage 4 without warning. Just some vague messages about shadows and whatnot. Took me a while to find the exact information in the menus.

I don't know what to say about that, then. In a single weekend I can put in about twenty or so hours if I decide to do a gaming marathon, and I can easily progress from right out of Helgen to level ten or so. And that's with avoiding anything that artificially levels my character, such as the Guardian Stones, training, or skill books, all of which I never use because I think you level up way too quickly in this game as it is. I have not quite 27 hours of play on my current play-through. I'm using a mod that lets me play as a monk, so I'm not using melee weapons. This slows down level progression quite a bit (something the mod creator actually warns people about), and, again, I'm avoiding anything that boosts level progression speed. I'm just over halfway through level 16. This is why I'm amazed that you can't get beyond level 5 with over three and half times that many hours playing.

The problem may be that you're not using your skills often enough to get them to level up. If all you're doing is running around trying to cure yourself of vampirism that might be contributing to the issue. I've never done that quest, so I don't know how "skill intensive" it might be. Also, if you're mostly using skills that are already at high levels, you'll find yourself progressing more slowly. That could be part of the problem, as well.

Oblivion is more fun than Skyrim, especially with all of the mods currently available.

I think that this is an evaluative problem. Skyrim has been around for less than a year. Oblivion has been around for 6. Yes, Oblivion is great with the mods available (if you can get past the almost sickening lack of character) but because of the time it's had to acumulate those mods, it can't be accurately compared to Skyrim.

Straight out of the box, Skyrim is more enjoyable, IMO. That doesn't mean, of course, that Oblivion isn't fun, and if you're into the whole generic High Fantasy setting and the likewise Denomic Invasion theme, it's a great game. With the wealth of mods for it, it even becomes fantastic. The same can be said for Morrowind, which has had a decade to accumulate some absolutely gob-smacking mods.

Still, it's not fair to Skyrim, Oblivion or really any game to compare a vanilla, or even a slightly modded version with something which has has at least 5x the amount of times to be modded. If you're going to compare them, do it in their clean state.

Oblivion is more fun than Skyrim, especially with all of the mods currently available.

I think that this is an evaluative problem. Skyrim has been around for less than a year. Oblivion has been around for 6. Yes, Oblivion is great with the mods available (if you can get past the almost sickening lack of character) but because of the time it's had to acumulate those mods, it can't be accurately compared to Skyrim.

Straight out of the box, Skyrim is more enjoyable, IMO. That doesn't mean, of course, that Oblivion isn't fun, and if you're into the whole generic High Fantasy setting and the likewise Denomic Invasion theme, it's a great game. With the wealth of mods for it, it even becomes fantastic. The same can be said for Morrowind, which has had a decade to accumulate some absolutely gob-smacking mods.

Still, it's not fair to Skyrim, Oblivion or really any game to compare a vanilla, or even a slightly modded version with something which has has at least 5x the amount of times to be modded. If you're going to compare them, do it in their clean state.

Of course, it's pretty clear one of the reasons Oblivion has incredible diverse mods is because the Oblivion community has had way more time to make them.

I accounted for that when I made the comment about playing Oblivion years from now, because, at its core, I just enjoy Oblivion more as a game either with or without mods. Same with Morrowind, at it's core, I just enjoy Morrowind more than Skyrim. Again, it's all just my opinion and my personal sense of fun with those games.

Maybe it's just me, but I found Skyrim's setting to be a bit more generic than previous Elder Scrolls games (I know many people ridicule Oblivion for being generic; personally, I see Skyrim as closer to generic fantasy), and as they say "You know what's wrong with Skyrim these days, everyone is obsessed with death," and they don't have a good sense of gallows humor, made it harder for me to like a great deal of the characters (too serious for their own good).

That said, I played Skyrim for around 150 hours so far. So, no one should interpret my preference for other games as suggesting I don't love Skyrim for what it is.

Edited by xaliqen

Lets put things this way... Do you ever go back and play the original Mortal Kombat? I sure as hell do. I'm replaying Daggerfall right now, and still enjoying it, despite the terrible graphics, oppressive magic system and enough glitches to make people who claim Skyrim is Glitch-City want to bore their eyes out with a rusty spork. If i could get Morrowind working on Windows 7 i'd probably be giving it another have-at-er too.

If you are even remotely nostalgic, any game is fun, no matter how old. Even if you've never played it before, you can go back and see where things came from, how franchises have changed and how games in general have advanced.

If your not, well... Must be a sad world to live in.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but YES :P Dear god yes.

1.) Mods are amazing with Oblivion

2.) Shivering Isles

3.) When you start to get bored, Google morroblivion and buy & install Morrowind GOTY so you can use it :D

Now you have Oblivion + Shivering Isles + Morrowind (Quests, spells, armors and all WITH the radiant AI!) + (some) of Bloodmoon & Tribunal + Oblivion Mods (Some may not function, unfortunately, such as food/water mods though I hear some will; mainly due to the mods not knowing what the hell the 'food' is in Morrowind :P) + Oblivion Mods designed for use with Morroblivion listed on the page.

Aka.. You have.. uh.. 5 games in one <.< and while some bugs exist they are not major that I came across in my time with it, though that was like.. six months ago.. so by now it's even more freaking awesome :D

Edit: Also only a matter of time before Skywind is released, likely a year.. but then we'll have six games + Skyrim's DLC o_O Oh my brain it boggles, it boggles!

Edited by Satorinu