Is oblivion Fun to Play after playing skyrim?

WhiterunPrince

I don't know what to say about that, then. In a single weekend I can put in about twenty or so hours if I decide to do a gaming marathon, and I can easily progress from right out of Helgen to level ten or so. And that's with avoiding anything that artificially levels my character, such as the Guardian Stones, training, or skill books, all of which I never use because I think you level up way too quickly in this game as it is. I have not quite 27 hours of play on my current play-through. I'm using a mod that lets me play as a monk, so I'm not using melee weapons. This slows down level progression quite a bit (something the mod creator actually warns people about), and, again, I'm avoiding anything that boosts level progression speed. I'm just over halfway through level 16. This is why I'm amazed that you can't get beyond level 5 with over three and half times that many hours playing.

The problem may be that you're not using your skills often enough to get them to level up. If all you're doing is running around trying to cure yourself of vampirism that might be contributing to the issue. I've never done that quest, so I don't know how "skill intensive" it might be. Also, if you're mostly using skills that are already at high levels, you'll find yourself progressing more slowly. That could be part of the problem, as well.

Ok. You're confused. I'm not talking about Skyrim. I'm talking about Oblivion. 100 hours into Oblivion on 360, I'm at level 4 or so.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. You're confused. I'm not talking about Skyrim. I'm talking about Oblivion. 100 hours into Oblivion on 360, I'm at level 4 or so.

Yes, I was confused. I was born confused. I'll probably die confused. At least there will be parity.

OK, then. Leveling in Oblivion, and not in Skyrim. I could say pretty much the same thing, though. If you use the skills that you set as primary skills, you'll level very rapidly. Oblivion has the same problem that Skyrim has. If you do all the quests you'll over-level, at least if you're playing the game the way the developers intended for you to play it. If you're leveling too slowly then you're probably not using your primary skills enough. This was, in fact, a well-known tactic among experienced Oblivion players to avoid over-leveling. When you create your character you intentionally set as primary skills those skills you expect to seldom (or even never) use. This would keep player level consistent with quest/enemy levels quite far into the game.

• 3 weeks later...

It is. Main story is poorly written , just like Skyrim, but you'll definitely enjoy playing it because it's still fun and packed with lots of cool quests.

I haven't played Oblivion in years but I still plan to...it's just that I'll probably have to spend a whole day researching/installing mods for it. =\

I was obsessed with Oblivion for years. It was my fav game. Now it's Skyrim. I tried going back to Oblivion, but everything just felt so dated. Core gameplay elements like melee combat felt especially primitive compared to the sorts of things one can do in Skyrim. I have very fond memories of Oblivion, but now it just feels silly going back to those awkward looking characters & stiff animations.

If i could get Morrowind working on Windows 7 i'd probably be giving it another have-at-er too.

i've played the TES games since TESII daggerfall (i was a little to young to really get into that one). out of those 4 games morrowind is still my favorite one of the bunch, but alas... i added far too many mods, and added modern music to the jukebox before realizing i made it unstable and non-immersive (immersion is a big thing to me now, and i'm a lot more sensitive to it these days) and i almost don't want to redo the 300 or so mods i've gotten for it. would take me months just to sort out my load order after reinstalling everything.

well why i was responding to your post in the first place. you can't get morrowind to run on win7? it took a small amount of tinkering (about what a slightly complex mod might require) but it's running fine on my rig. i avoided playing oblivion until it had been out for some time, knowing it would be inferior (for my taste in gaming at least) to morrowind, but i would be unable to return to outdated graphics. like when i avoided getting a dvd player because i had a collection of 100s of VHS tapes and i know i'd never watch them again if i had a dvd player. but, also alas... i got a dvd player, and i got oblivion, and skyrim. all good, fun games to be sure, and even though i'll likely never play it again, morrowind is still my most beloved TES game.

sorry for the rant. lol

----edit

and the commas. for those grammar monkeys; some of those commas are for taking note of dramatic pauses, i didn't fail english 101. i just happen to talk like i write... which some seem to find confusing.

Edited by Invisible Man

I personally never felt there was anything wrong with oblivions graphics, oblivion's graphics arn't blocky or bad, they are just a little.... cartoony due to the age. The games is just as good today as it was back than, and it's a lot of fun. Oblivion still has better graphics than some of the games being released today! And the gameplay is fine! Buy it! You'll have a blast!