[Fallout: Project Brazil] Quest Scripts & Level Design

Thaiauxn

Hey guys!

a lot of you are familiar with Fallout: Project Brazil. If not, here is a link to the mod and a brief introduction: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/45138

I've been working on this monster for a little over 3 years now. Almost 4. It started on Fallout 3, took a year long break, and, pretty much 100% to the credit of RickerHK, we ported it over to New Vegas last January. Since then, Rick has been probably the single best internet friend I have, and together we've made something people will truly enjoy.

Fallout: Project Brazil has a devout following on the Nexus, ModDb, and facebook. We even have an Illuminati conspiracy theorist that thinks we rule the world. (Not joking.)

Eight, almost 9 months after I returned to work on F:PB (I can hardly remember where the time went,) we have a complete story written as dialogue, in word documents - which need to be copy/pasted into the game & scripted. The first 1/3 of the story is already implemented in the game - several THOUSAND lines worth - and a lot of it is scripted and ready for voice acting. You can read the outline for it here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1e0LIIUGTHlWCRbzvC4RcEtrFD8cBdNUUVBeajJw5MBk/edit

And a VOICED character highlight here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=U2FL_gyefXE

We're missing a few holes that need filling, but it looks and plays pretty amazing up until we hit the wasteland, where the story & scripts currently stop. I've decided in the past months to cut the story down to bare bones for the sake of getting it done this year, maybe even into february or march. In the process, it's actually become not just feasible, but way more entertaining.

Numbered%2520Vault%252018%2520Map.png

As of tonight, the wasteland only needs about 14 locations edited, and navmeshing. Some overall cosmetics that will take a few days before we render LOD not withstanding. :P I only need to finish a couple more interiors. I'm guessing I'll be doing this all by myself, which will take aprox. 3 - 4 more weeks to finish. By the end of September, the entire wasteland can be done.

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/images/45138-1-1345187926.jpg

You can see a video run-through of it here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/fallout-3-project-brazil/news/project-brazil-worldspace-video-and-voiced-characters

OH! We also have an original soundtrack by Erik & Christana.

Now, for what I'm asking for:

o Quest Programming

- I need someone to help me implement quest dialogue & script the actors. You will have the framework RickerHK came up with to easily follow, and all the dialogue is written for you. Rick is also still working with us, and will be here to assist and reference. The story needs to be copy/pasted into the right windows, with scripted dialogue flags to point to the right topics. This would include quest triggers and variables. It's reasonably difficult for a novice, and even challenging for the experienced. Thankfully, you can expect a ton of interactive support. Again, all of the dialogue is written already, it just needs to be pasted into the game, the actors staged, and triggers drawn. It's a big job, and there are probably only a handful of people left in the community that can do it - those same people probably already have huge projects under their belt or on their plate. ;)

This does require lots of experience, and someone capable of working independently from a word document. Usually, this person gets a decent office and a wikid hourly rate at a real industry job. ;) Sometimes even with benefits if they aren't a temp. I'm aware that asking it from a community of fans is a big thing, but it is mostly very rewarding, as the text is engaging and people will undoubtedly enjoy it.

However, this is the only job I, personally, can't do. I look at the dialogue interface and my brain freezes. After 4 years, I've become extremely proficient in design and writing. Programming will always stump me. For this, I'm very reliant on my team members. Alone, I am nothing.

o Navmeshing

- About a million miles of it. (kidding.) The Wasteland is HUGE! And while this task is easy, it will take forever, and gets tedious. My girlfriend gives -that- face when I'm doing it. I need to spend more time writing, directing voice actors, and less time navmeshing. ;) Parts of it are done, and done thoroughly, and I've taken care of all interiors so far. I'll even pick up where you leave off if you get bored. I'd just like some assistance is all.

o Audio Editing & Formatting

- There are thousands of lines of spoken text in Project Brazil. Seriously. Thousands. All of that translates to LOTS and lots of audio files. :P I need help from someone with an ear for acting, and the ability to edit audio for levels and noise. I know, this one is a long shot, but it takes hours and hours to do this after a 6+ hour recording session is over. There are good takes and bad, re-takes and misplaced or disordered lines... most of the time we work from an EXCEL file, and we voice act down the list in order, copy/pasting file names into the *save as* window, and saving as both a .wav and a .ogg. Sometimes you have to work from a word doc for the ease of the actor, and that means you must go hunting for which line in an audio file matches which line in Excel. Our NTG-2 Compressor mic and H4N Zoom introduce a little noise (hardly any) and produce beautiful broadcast quality audio - but it needs to be amplified in one pass and then de-noised. Then, the audio must sample rate at 42000, split stereo to mono, and set to PCM-16 bit. Each line needs to be cut and saved as an individual file, twice. The .wav is used to lip-sync, and the .ogg is played in game, so we need both. For every line in the game. Which translates to manually (or by macro) doing this thousands of times.

Seriously, it is a job for a small team of well paid people. I've been doing it alone on free or borrowed time. :P I know it's a lot to ask for free from a stranger, but it is a very rewarding experience, and the material is great.

If you read all this, I sincerely thank you for your time. If you can't help, or don't have time, words of encouragement are always welcome. :) If you can't help us, please, feel free to suggest someone who may be willing.

Cheers

Edited by Thaiauxn

• 1 year later...