What game series is most realistic based on lore?

scottym23

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which game series is most realistic based on the lore?

• Fallout
    • The Elder Scrolls

If I had to choose one or the other, I would argue for Fallout. It's arguably based on our history, except for a key divergence point where everything went towards a different kind of history compared to us. In their alternate history, it can be argued that having laser weapons right next to computers from the Dos era makes sense.I mean, they have fusion batteries. We can't even really make fusion work for us and we have computer technology 100 times more advanced than what they seem to operate on. I don't know. I guess it all makes sense in the "If our history split into a completely different focus in technology and went on for 100+ more years than our current time" sense.

I think you're misunderstanding what lore means. In the FO universe, aliens also exist and have been capturing people, and radiation just turns you into a ghoul instead of just giving you cancer. What we consider as possible by our own standards has no bearing. That said, I think you might be selling short human ingenuity a little. Technically speaking, the only reason why we even moved from a DOS based system was because computers were being designed for consumer use instead of military use. Without the push of Microsoft Apple to make a GUI based interface for ease of personal computing, the interface would be largely utilitarian, not too different from what currently exists for manufacturing systems. The reason why none of this happened is because WWII didn't ever stop, so pretty much every aspect of life for generations was centered around the war effort and culturally they didn't progress beyond 50's concepts and style. Over 100 years spent almost completely invested in war-based advancements, automatons capable of fighting, weapons and tech research without particularly caring about moral implications... And yeah, we could have robots and laser weapons too. They drive atomic powered cars and lock people away for generations with all manner of psychological flaws and physical impracticalities... Safety and sanity isn't exactly part of their rulebook.

The problem with Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim isn't one of realism it's that the whole world is scaled to the player, you're never too weak or too strong. In that sense none of them are realistic in the slightest. Morrowind got it right, if you walked into the wrong place as a low level player you died, you had to build your character up before attempting to access these places. New Vegas was similar, leave Goodsprings and turn left rather than right at the bottom of that hill and enemies there will kill you, again you had to build your character up before accessing certain areas. Admittedly the world was set up to push the player in the direction the devs wanted but still the result is the same, you weren't a god from the start. The older Fallouts were even less forgiving.

I remember an interview with Todd Howard where he said "Let the player win", this for me sums up everything that is wrong with modern day Bethesda, they don't understand that success is meaningless without the possibility of failure and that winning is no fun if that win is handed to you on a plate.

Hey thanks for your comment, and I completely agree. That was a point I never really thought about and it makes me rethink my stance. Although I think about Fallout 3 and it's true that it also has this flaw in it, so I still think TES series is more realistic based on the lore. However I can think of a couple enemies and locations that you couldn't go to and expect to live through. I remember once I tried to rush to the Labrynthian early on in the game so I could get a cool storage area to put my valuables, and the frost trolls completely obliterated me. Also fighting any dragon priest or giant without being properly equipped or having a strategy would usually result in a death. But I guess that also depends on the option to make the game harder or easier at a moment's notice. Of course if I put the game to novice in Skyrim i'll roflstomp anything, but at the same time if I put it on master i'll get whooped by anything. I think the difficulty of the game is perfect in Skyrim IF (and it's a big if) the player adjusts it accordingly based on his own skill. In that case I don't see a problem with it, but the people who have Daedric armor and weapons at lvl 50+ who have the game set to adept and don't change it are of course going to cry fowl when they say the game is "too easy".

If I had to choose one or the other, I would argue for Fallout. It's arguably based on our history, except for a key divergence point where everything went towards a different kind of history compared to us. In their alternate history, it can be argued that having laser weapons right next to computers from the Dos era makes sense.I mean, they have fusion batteries. We can't even really make fusion work for us and we have computer technology 100 times more advanced than what they seem to operate on. I don't know. I guess it all makes sense in the "If our history split into a completely different focus in technology and went on for 100+ more years than our current time" sense.

I think you're misunderstanding what lore means. In the FO universe, aliens also exist and have been capturing people, and radiation just turns you into a ghoul instead of just giving you cancer. What we consider as possible by our own standards has no bearing. That said, I think you might be selling short human ingenuity a little. Technically speaking, the only reason why we even moved from a DOS based system was because computers were being designed for consumer use instead of military use. Without the push of Microsoft Apple to make a GUI based interface for ease of personal computing, the interface would be largely utilitarian, not too different from what currently exists for manufacturing systems. The reason why none of this happened is because WWII didn't ever stop, so pretty much every aspect of life for generations was centered around the war effort and culturally they didn't progress beyond 50's concepts and style. Over 100 years spent almost completely invested in war-based advancements, automatons capable of fighting, weapons and tech research without particularly caring about moral implications... And yeah, we could have robots and laser weapons too. They drive atomic powered cars and lock people away for generations with all manner of psychological flaws and physical impracticalities... Safety and sanity isn't exactly part of their rulebook.

Hey thanks for your comment. Looks like I beat you to the punch line in telling thedragonemperor his definition of lore is off :P. And yeah I agree with your point about our technology could be that advanced if we were as ruthless and fixated on war as the U.S and China were in the Fallout series.