legal question

tnu

actually i'm pretty sure that's incorrect. you dont need SI to use 1.2 mods just the 1.2 patch

That is correct, unless they rely on SI resources.

You do need the updated CS to edit these mods though (or else you need to adjust the tag on the mod file to .8)

Let me put it this way, you CANNOT legally use any SI/DLC scripts, or modify those scripts to suit your needs.

You CAN however make a new script from scratch which accomplishes the same sort of actions.

In more specific terms, you don't for instance need SI to make a script that allows one weapon to be swapped out for another when a condition is met. You don't need SI to make an enchantment on that weapon which alters some quest variable which controls what happens when that change happens. You do need SI if you use the dawn/duskfang scripts as a blueprint for accomplishing this.

One of those nice things about scripting is that there are usually several different ways of accomplishing the same result, and the methods and systems used can be compared against similar scripts to see if one was used as a basis for the other. You may use the general concept, but you will need to know how to put the script together from scratch, and make it from scratch to make the mod not require SI. By nature of remaking the same sort of process from scratch, without any guide, your scripting should be quite a bit different than what Bethsoft has done, and therefore would not be re-use of assets.

Oh, yes, right, the patch, sorry, freudian slip lol.

Anyway, I never delved too deep into this subject, but I've got a pretty good guess why's the beth licensing so strange. I think that beth employed quite a few external artists to cut developement costs. Like This guy here for example. Aaand in order to save even more money they probably didn't buy the copyrights but merely signed redistribution license contracts with theese artists. And now they're simply trying to withhold their end of the bargain by protecting theese peoples copyrights at all costs.

Just a guess though.

so i'm not allowd to look at the script and use it as a guideline? it seems rather strange to me i just want to be able to have a dagger with a duel nature like the Dawnfang/Duskfang. and i have no idea how to script it mysellf

Trust me, once you get the basic gist of scripting it would be SIMPLE.

It would take trial and error, but don't worry (chances are) your PC won't blow up. You will get it right!

For example. Lets say you wanted a sword that upgraded as soon as the player killed X amount of things with it. Well you'd probably create a global variable and then create an enchantment effect that counts the kills. It would do so by adding one to the global variable after every kill. Duskfang and Dawnfang do this, but just find your own way to do it. Then have the blade scripted to "upgrade" or swap out once the global variable reaches a certain value.

For example. Want it to upgrade at 50 kills? Give the sword a script that tells it to swap out when the global variable reaches 50 kills.

ok first of all that was way over my head. second of all what if i just want it to swap out not upgrade. do what dawnfang/duskfang doew and change depending on the time of day

Everything above is correct TNU.

But they are forgetting that the commands used in that script come with oblivion not SI and you are free to use those commands to make your own script. Just because beth made a script to do it, does not mean you cannot make a similar script to do the same job.

You could even make an identical script that is 100% your own work and be on perfectly legal grounds. But if you copy or edit the SI script to make it, identical or not, then your on 100% breach of copyright grounds.

Anyway this is dead easy task mate, pm me on mechstorm and I'll make one for you my self once you tell me what you need it to do exactly.

Giskard

Archived