fixing third person animation bugs

dmr weapon animation is built additive to gripriflestraight and combatshotgun. Those keywords r found on thd custom weapon. Adding that fixed the 3rd person animation but its missing the "extension" u added to the weapon. I will generate the subgraph metadata and see if its help..

ne, i just added the anim keywords found in the dmr to the br77 weapon in CK. This resulted in the hands now lining up with the weapon, but instead causing the new problem with the restricted range of motion where I drew this sketch https://imgur.com/a/TTk8jLN

also does this seem like the right thing to be running to generate the metadata?

D:\Program Files (x86)\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\CreationKit.exe -GenerateAnimInfo:BR77.esp ..\Data ..\Data\Meshes\AnimTextData --speed --stance

I've been trying to do that, but it isn't generating new animtextdata. I unpacked the br77 main ba2, replaced the relevant files with the altered versions, deleted the existing animtextdata, moved the br77 main ba2 to a backup folder, and ran that command like the subgraphs wiki page suggested, but no new data was generated.

What I might be able to try doing is just replacing the keywords instead of the .hkx files, and make misriah armory a master of br77, but I'd like to avoid that if i can, to minimize the required mods for people to get this. Plus i have no idea if that would even work.

The data should generate in a directory like this: Steam\steamapps\common\Data\Meshes\AnimTextData\Meshes\AnimTextData

You then will have to copy those files over to the mod folder once it completes.

Also this is my command line for generating the anim text data:

CreationKit.exe -GenerateAnimInfo:BR77.esp ..\Data ..\Data\Meshes\AnimTextData --speed --stance

I created a bat file that I run in the main fallout 4 directory, once started you should see the CK open up on itself, once all data is completed it will close on its own. It will take awhile.

The data should generate in a directory like this: Steam\steamapps\common\Data\Meshes\AnimTextData\Meshes\AnimTextData

You then will have to copy those files over to the mod folder once it completes.

CreationKit.exe -GenerateAnimInfo:BR77.esp ..\Data ..\Data\Meshes\AnimTextData --speed --stance

I created a bat file that I run in the main fallout 4 directory, once started you should see the CK open up on itself, once all data is completed it will close on its own. It will take awhile.

See its doing that, opening CK for a while then closing on its own, but when its done, there's nothing new at all in the animtextdata folder

Now its fixing the 3rd party animation, the character holds the weapon correctly and fired correctly but its missing the "extension" portion. If just using BR77 keyword, the "extension" part is there but character is not holding the weapon correctly and zooming ,etc the weapon is pointing downward left side as mentioned by your earlier post. With just the keyword and not subgraph metadata, ur character cannot walk properly. May have to look at the animation file directly and customized a few of them to "fix" the problem. But don't hold me to this cos probably needs some work and I m messing with other things too. Or I can take a look at the other "fix" by u which u mention everything works but just certain part of the movement is not working...

See its doing that, opening CK for a while then closing on its own, but when its done, there's nothing new at all in the animtextdata folder

My only guess is it thinks all the data was generated so it has nothing new to generate. If the loose files for the BR77 are in the Fallout 4 data directory and the animtext folder is deleted it should technically generate all the data again since it cannot find the existing txt files anymore.

I've never personally seen the data not generate when it needed to, I know the only pre-exisitng reason why it would not generate is when the data already existed so it just closes since it thinks there is nothing new to generate. This is also why the packed ba2 will not work since that has the animtext packed in it. If I remember any other troubleshooting idea I will let you know, the issue above was the only thing I've run into when I was first making weapon mods a long time ago that I remember how to fix. I guess the only other thing to point out is I never have an active mod manager open when I do this process, I strictly work with just my one mod in the Fallout 4 data directory then when finished move/copy the files back to my mod manager for in-game testing afterwards.

After much testing, its always the same result. After installing the customization, the weapon will not be held properly, weapon grip offset by a considerable amount. Weapon movement slows down to a crawl. While the movement can be fixed by regenerating subgraph metadata, the weapon is still not being hold properly and zoom firing will result with the weapon pointing at downward left position. Technically, all these can be fixed by moving respective weapon bones but we are talking about tons of animation files (weapon movement, sneak, jump, even the BR77 weapon firing ,etc) and its just not feasible.

On the other hand, if animation keywords like gripriflestraight and combatshotgun are added to the customized weapon (like the dmr mod), everything was corrected and functioning perfectly. The weapon now lines up properly in player hand. You don't even need to regenerate any subgraph metadata. Moving, firing, zoom firing, etc all works perfectly. But the modification done on the weapon (the extension at the weapon stock) is no longer visible. But throwing the weapon on the ground or viewing the 3D model, u can clearly see the extended portion of the weapon stock ....

ok so i think i've finally got this working! I ditched the subgraph idea after finding this tutorial https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/articles/548/

I basically followed the instructions from that with a few key differences to cater to this particular mod which ill detail for posterity:

1: Since the BR77 has different animations for different grips, fire modes, and mags, while the misriah armory only has different animations for burst or regular, i had to first open the mod in creation kit and remove the animation keyword additions in the mag and grip object mods, as well as the "hybrid anim keywords" in the burst fire mode object mods such as "burstforegrip"

2: After that was done, following the tutorial to a T was producing issues with the animation keywords for the dmr that were placed in the br77 defaulting to null values and removing its master requirement when saved in CK, causing the in game animations to just use the combat shotgun's animations all around. Instead, i simply did the same process in fo4edit instead. Added misriah armory as a master, then replaced the null values (which should have been the dmr keywords) with the dmr keywords in the fire mode object mods and br77 weapon objects.

I just hope this babbling nonsense I just spewed is of any help to anyone in the future who tries to do a similar mod and runs into similar problems.

only drawback is now the mod requires both misriah armory AND the br77 to function, but any self respecting halo fan should have both installed anyways

Edited by mauskal

ok so i think i've finally got this working! I ditched the subgraph idea after finding this tutorial https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/articles/548/

I basically followed the instructions from that with a few key differences to cater to this particular mod which ill detail for posterity:

1: Since the BR77 has different animations for different grips, fire modes, and mags, while the misriah armory only has different animations for burst or regular, i had to first open the mod in creation kit and remove the animation keyword additions in the mag and grip object mods, as well as the "hybrid anim keywords" in the burst fire mode object mods such as "burstforegrip"

2: After that was done, following the tutorial to a T was producing issues with the animation keywords for the dmr that were placed in the br77 defaulting to null values and removing its master requirement when saved in CK, causing the in game animations to just use the combat shotgun's animations all around. Instead, i simply did the same process in fo4edit instead. Added misriah armory as a master, then replaced the null values (which should have been the dmr keywords) with the dmr keywords in the fire mode object mods and br77 weapon objects.

I just hope this babbling nonsense I just spewed is of any help to anyone in the future who tries to do a similar mod and runs into similar problems.

only drawback is now the mod requires both misriah armory AND the br77 to function, but any self respecting halo fan should have both installed anyways

Glad that you managed to resolve your issue.

To be honest, the whole subgraph thingy is still pretty messy. Bethesda has improved animation workflow since Skyrim and they mentioned for Starfield, things will be even better. Just hoping ...