fixing third person animation bugs

Update: I've been doing most of my tinkerings with the burst subgraphs and leaving the others mostly alone since that's what I was using as the misriah armory is only missing a battle rifle (burst fire weapon). However, I did have to add some animation keywords to the weapon object in CK to get it to match the DMR. I recently decided to try changing my BR77 to the assault rifle configuration for shits and giggles, and noticed the animations are working just fine, minus the reload animation. I'll edit this post if I can get this working the same way for the burst variant. From there, it would just be a matter of ensuring the firing and reloading animation keywords are pointed to the correct burst and reload animations respectively

Not sure if I understand correctly, if u wanna use DMR/AR animation on the weapon BR77, y not just add custom animation keyword of DMR/AR animation on BR77 weapon ? If for whatever reason it is not working, then do your own animation customization. I took a look at DMR/AR animation, there r a few custom animations like firing, reload, etc based on a few different weapons. You can stick to the default animation or what was used for BR77 and then for those animations like reload, firing,etc use those of DMR/AR animation (if this is what u want). It's basically what we have discussed, create additive subgraph to replace those animations (reload, firing,etc) of BR77 with those of DMR/AR animation. However, take note that for DMR/AR animation, they created different animations for different weapons since things like reload,etc need to be customized to the weapon so that it looks "good" so u have to choose the ones from DMR/AR animation that closely matched BR77 ...

i might not have the modding knowledge to quite get what you're proposing, but ill give it a look next time i got time. i've been busy preparing for a dark souls hitless tournament lately. If you're curious enough to want to dig through the files yourself, an early version of the animation swap is found here https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/39634. It's set up in a way that only the br77 is required for it to work, but not the misriah armory.

Honestly, the metadata generation sounds like the problem here. "the speeds the game wants into what animations play" sounds awfully similar to the movement speed inconsistencies with the subgraph "fix" I tried

Edited by mauskal

When it comes to sungragh data if the directories are changed/new hkx files are added in the directory the metadata must be regenerated fully. Before it is generated all of the txt files in the animstextdata folder needs to be deleted. Not doing so the data will only generate new directories but not update previous files which can cause conflict issues. When subgraphs are edited but no new metadata is generated this will cause animation issues in-game such as the player unable to walk in 3rd person.

When you start to generate the data, yes, it will take a good 30+ mins to generate as the BR77 has many custom subgraphs that are needed to accommodate all the different firing modes, reloads, and hand grip options. This is why it is always important to make sure you add and edit everything you need because each time you make a small edit it mean regenerating the data all over again which can be time consuming.

I take a look and not sure how u create the customize weapon. Did you rebuild everything from base thru 3ds max for the collision or some patch job thru nifscope cos I can see the connecting points r moved and transformation of the grip were moved too. This resulted in the weapon being shifted back when holding in 3rd person as can be seen the right hand is not holding onto the weapon grip. By right, the custom weapon must be created properly, placed down properly on the origin point so that it will go to the "weapon" bone of the player hand when equipped. Then we can talk about proper animating ,etc ...

I take a look and not sure how u create the customize weapon. Did you rebuild everything from base thru 3ds max for the collision or some patch job thru nifscope cos I can see the connecting points r moved and transformation of the grip were moved too. This resulted in the weapon being shifted back when holding in 3rd person as can be seen the right hand is not holding onto the weapon grip. By right, the custom weapon must be created properly, placed down properly on the origin point so that it will go to the "weapon" bone of the player hand when equipped. Then we can talk about proper animating ,etc ...

Are you asking me or the edits that mauskal did with the misriah animation files? For my content all the models and animation files were created from scratch based on my own baseline and do not rely on any existing vanilla bone positions (hence the custom animations). Everything lines up perfectly and is held by the character in 1st and 3rd person correctly when my animation files are in use for the weapon. I cant guarantee any animation replacements will line up the weapon correctly unless the user was to edit those animation files to line up to the weapon bone positions I placed. This happens with any custom animations for any custom weapons really, replacing animations from one weapon to another (especially made from different modders) generally will cause weird placement positions if the files were not edited to fit the other custom weapon.

When it comes to sungragh data if the directories are changed/new hkx files are added in the directory the metadata must be regenerated fully. Before it is generated all of the txt files in the animstextdata folder needs to be deleted. Not doing so the data will only generate new directories but not update previous files which can cause conflict issues. When subgraphs are edited but no new metadata is generated this will cause animation issues in-game such as the player unable to walk in 3rd person.

When you start to generate the data, yes, it will take a good 30+ mins to generate as the BR77 has many custom subgraphs that are needed to accommodate all the different firing modes, reloads, and hand grip options. This is why it is always important to make sure you add and edit everything you need because each time you make a small edit it mean regenerating the data all over again which can be time consuming.

I see...I'll have to give that a try. That may be why my attempts at metadata generation have yielded no effect. I've previously figured out how to get CK to start the metadata generation, but it always seemed to do nothing when it was finished.

Are you asking me or the edits that mauskal did with the misriah animation files? For my content all the models and animation files were created from scratch based on my own baseline and do not rely on any existing vanilla bone positions (hence the custom animations). Everything lines up perfectly and is held by the character in 1st and 3rd person correctly when my animation files are in use for the weapon. I cant guarantee any animation replacements will line up the weapon correctly unless the user was to edit those animation files to line up to the weapon bone positions I placed. This happens with any custom animations for any custom weapons really, replacing animations from one weapon to another (especially made from different modders) generally will cause weird placement positions if the files were not edited to fit the other custom weapon.

Was asking @mauskal about the modifications. IMO, its better to get the model done properly before animation. On the very basis, the right hand should hold the weapon grip and if the left hand does not line up properly, the constraint can be disabled and line up manually thru animation.

Was asking @mauskal about the modifications. IMO, its better to get the model done properly before animation. On the very basis, the right hand should hold the weapon grip and if the left hand does not line up properly, the constraint can be disabled and line up manually thru animation.

what i did was copy the .hkx files of misriah armory and use those to replace the .hkx files of found in the br77's animations directory (that way users dont need to download the misriah armory pack, only the br77). Then I took the .nif files of the br77 alongside the .nif files for the dmr in misriah armory, and lined up the grip of the br77 with the dmr, like N7R detailed, and since the models are similar (the br77 even has a dmr configuration) this ended up with the animations lined up perfectly...but only in first person. Third person started having all the issues i've been trying to resolve lately.

My most recent attempt to fix this was me looking through the subgraph files of the br77 alongside the dmr's subgraph files, searching for anything that wasnt either a reference to the br77 or the misriah dmr. Anything that was a vanilla animation path I changed in the br77's files to match what it said in the dmr's files. For example, the br77's files make reference to the submachine gun for any unaltered animations, whereas the dmr's files make reference to "gripriflestraight". So i searched for any mention of "submachine gun" in the br77's files, and replaced it with the appropriate "gripriflestraight" reference instead. When all that was done, i just added the anim keywords found in the dmr to the br77 weapon in CK. This resulted in the hands now lining up with the weapon, but instead causing the new problem with the restricted range of motion where I drew this sketch https://imgur.com/a/TTk8jLN

also does this seem like the right thing to be running to generate the metadata?

D:\Program Files (x86)\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\CreationKit.exe -GenerateAnimInfo:BR77.esp ..\Data ..\Data\Meshes\AnimTextData --speed --stance

I've been trying to do that, but it isn't generating new animtextdata. I unpacked the br77 main ba2, replaced the relevant files with the altered versions, deleted the existing animtextdata, moved the br77 main ba2 to a backup folder, and ran that command like the subgraphs wiki page suggested, but no new data was generated.

What I might be able to try doing is just replacing the keywords instead of the .hkx files, and make misriah armory a master of br77, but I'd like to avoid that if i can, to minimize the required mods for people to get this. Plus i have no idea if that would even work.

Edited by mauskal