Normal _n _m textures?

MasterZH

All of them are different looking textures that are being applied to the same mesh. Each one of them has a unique function. the dds file without extension is the standard diffuse map that gives the mesh it's color. The _n texture is the normal map, it decides how the surface of the mesh reacts to ingame lighting. You can create the effect of depth and structure on a completely flat surface with the normal map. The _m texture is an environment map, haven't figured out exactly what it does, not all meshes have such an environment map applied but I think it comes with reflective surfaces!?

These textures can't be combined, they must be created and assigned seperately and only work for the designated mesh. Assigning for example the normal map of another weapon to a weapon mesh would make it look very weird ingame!

Hope this helped a bit!?

Greetz *Sari-D

Edited by SariDecember

All of them are different looking textures that are being applied to the same mesh. Each one of them has a unique function. the dds file without extension is the standard diffuse map that gives the mesh it's color. The _n texture is the normal map, it decides how the surface of the mesh reacts to ingame lighting. You can create the effect of depth and structure on a completely flat surface with the normal map. The _m texture is an environment map, haven't figured out exactly what it does, not all meshes have such an environment map applied but I think it comes with reflective surfaces!?

These textures can't be combined, they must be created and assigned seperately and only work for the designated mesh. Assigning for example the normal map of another weapon to a weapon mesh would make it look very weird ingame!

Hope this helped a bit!?

Greetz *Sari-D

Can i ask about meshes? I am just modding and find mod lot of mods/items in for example OJO retext. where there is no new texture just meshes for some objects...

I'm not sure if I understood your question right but the Ojo Bueno retexture pack will most likely contain a huge amount of texture files (.dds files) and hardly any meshes (nif files) because it applies new textures to the meshes that are already ingame (that's why it's called a retexture pack ;) )