ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Game has gone insane and there's nothing I can do about it.

Crowfar

I have played the game for quite a period of time with hundreds of mods (over 300 esp plugins; don't know how it's possible). A while ago, I finally updated to 2.0.16 and installed a few more mods. The save now insists that I am missing one major mod, but it keeps changing its mind about which one it is. First it was Ordinator. I checked and found that it was enabled and that everything was in order, but reinstalled it anyway and ran LOOT. Now, it is Imperious that is the problem. Starting a new game confirmed that it was indeed not there, and reinstalls changed nothing. I recently tried running LOOT again, and this time my efforts only succeeded in changing the missing mod to Palaces and Castles Enhanced.

It's just a symptom of something worse, I think. When I actually open a save - even ones from a new game - everything goes berserk. Notifications from various mods fire randomly, and the spell Frostbite shoots out of my character's face. I don't recall exactly which mods I added, but I remember being sure that none of them were the problem. Going over the plugin limit is possibly the cause, but then why was I able to get away with it for so long?

EDIT: Reinstalling SSE didn't work, either.

Edited by Crowfar

Have you gone back through your saves to find one that doesn't misbehave? I had to 'back-peddle' my level 52 character to level 16 (ie slowly going through the myriad of saves until I found one that worked without issue) before I got things sorted out after the 1.5.80/2.0.16 (and all the other mods that were updated) update.

A new character (now level 34) I created during the interim has experienced zero issues (aside from a very small number of CTDs)

And the original character has been played from 16 up to level 30 and is also not experiencing any "hanky panky" either.

I was hoping someone would recognize the specific issue... guess I have to bite the bullet and learn how to merge plugins. Forgot to mention - I use MO2, if by any chance that helps.

Have you gone back through your saves to find one that doesn't misbehave? I had to 'back-peddle' my level 52 character to level 16 (ie slowly going through the myriad of saves until I found one that worked without issue) before I got things sorted out after the 1.5.80/2.0.16 (and all the other mods that were updated) update.

A new character (now level 34) I created during the interim has experienced zero issues (aside from a very small number of CTDs)

And the original character has been played from 16 up to level 30 and is also not experiencing any "hanky panky" either.

As I said, the issues apply even in new games (but only once I load them; first time around they seem to work).

Edited by Crowfar

I use vortex exclusively for installing mods. Most I install "transparently" via the links here in nexus, a few (all my followers, so I can archive the mods in case the author deletes them for whatever reason) I download to harddrive and install locally, but in both cases, I use vortex to sort out the details.

SE is not oldrim and to be honest, although I'm not a long time player, I'm not too sure MO is still a valid methodology. Many if not most of the lingering, post 1.5.80/2.0.16 game crashing issues I read about are coming from those who are continuing to use the oldrim philosophy of low level manipulation using MO/loot etc. If it works for you great, but apparently it's not.