ENB Ambient Occlusion: yes or no?

Modd3r

144 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use ENB ambient occlusion?

Hello guys, this is actually my first "real" topic (besides the pics I regularly upload) and I want to discuss about something that really bothers me.

As you can read in the topic title I'm talking about ENB ambient occlusion.

I suppose most of you use or at least tried an ENB configuration and you've surely noticed how it lowers the framerate from 60~ to 40-45, but I've noticed that ambient occlusion is the main cause when it comes to my pc.

But my question is: ambient occlusion is really worth this framerate drop?

I've done some tests (+comparison screenshots) and to be honest I don't see that huge improvement to sacrifice 15~ fps, Am I the only one who thought this?

What do you think about ENB effects and framerate drops?

P.S sorry for my bad English, I hope it's understandable

The ENB SSAO is much better than Nvidia's in my opinion. But you are right, it is also the most fps intensive setting as well. There is a mod that allows you to toggle SSAO and/or DOF ingame while still keeping the other effects and boost your performance dramatically. When you want to take a screenshot simply hit the button to toggle them back on for a gorgeous pic. This way you still get the performance you want for gameplay and the beauty you want for screenies all at the touch of a button without having to Alt+Tab out and change the enbseries.ini manually. As far as the SkyLighting, not a big fan of it myself and don't use it in my game.

This little beauty should be a must have for every ENB user who doesn't have a monster rig. :thumbsup:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/13306

I've tried three different configs and have never really been happy with SSAO. Besides the huge fps hit, it darkens the environment and makes my characters look old and haggard. I can probably fix that by tweaking the settings. Until I find the time and inclination to do that, it's SSAO: off.

@Staind716, Nice find.

Edited by Ragicka

@Staind716 that's a very useful utility but it doesn't work very well, it disables SSAO/DoF but it doesn't re-enable them O.o

However, here's a comparison screenshot with(left) and without(right) SSAO:

http://imageshack.us/a/img826/8034/ssaocomparison.jpg

This is my config (I use trustinall's ENB):

[sSAO_SSIL]

UseIndirectLighting=false

UseComplexIndirectLighting=false

SamplingQuality=1

SamplingRange=0.4 //ROUGH 0.2 //0.25 //DESAT 0.3

FadeFogRangeDay=10 //DESAT 12.0

FadeFogRangeNight=10 //DESAT 12.0

FadeFogRangeInterior=10

SizeScale=0.5

SourceTexturesScale=0.5

FilterQuality=1

AOAmount=0.6 //0.7 //1 //ROUGH 0.75 //DESAT 1.0

ILAmount=1.4 //2.8 //3 //2.5 //2.75 //DESAT 3.0

I mean ok, there are some complexes shadows but I don't see it worth big fps losses, I would only switch it on/off just when I'm doing screenshots and I'm not even sure the difference would be that great. (I will find out thanks to the utility post by Staind doing 2 screenshot of the same subject)

P.S What about skylighting? I don't even know what "really" does, anyone so kind to explain?

Edited by Modd3r

Interesting topic ;)

Im playing on a mid lvl PC so usualy i have about 30fps.

But when i saw the beautiful screenshoots from other players and the ENB tools, i just wanted the same experiences. Than i found this ENB tool and i can confirm, its dosn't have any fps lose.

Not as shiny than other ENBs but this is the deal :sleep:

Stakado Cinemascope ENB - Near to zero performance loss

I have to try a "soft" ENB config, maybe with Imaginator for contrast-saturation stuff :)

Oh and I'm testing ENB without skylighting but I don't see improvements in fps, so I think I will leave it enabled :)