Arena Lag issues

hyperk1

Hey, i went and downloaded that arena that bethesda put out on there website, and when i got it to run it was real laggy and not very good to play, so i read the readme and it says to type arena -delay:# it says 4 is a good number so i type arena -delay:4 and thats real laggy still, it says 1 is faster and 9 is less faster so i try arena -delay:1 and it's still very laggy. if anyone knows how to help i would very like to have your help, and dont worry my system if well good enough to run the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the late reply -- I had to hit the "Format C:" key right quick and then found myself playing with Unreal Tournament 2004 and a leaked version of SuSe 9.1.

As long as you have more than an 80286, you'll probably do fine in Arena. However, if you're using DOSBox to play the game, there's a small "feature" you have to work past. Open up DOSBox (don't start Arena yet -- if you want to mount a directory or two, however, go ahead) and simply note the two key combinations that appear. After starting Arena, use those two combinations of keys to increase or decrease the amount of CPU utilization that the program can achieve and thus its speed.

Since, given you have to do this, DOSBox has its own method of CPU limitation, you won't have to pass on that CPU-limiting "-delay:4" switch to the game. So just take that off. Come on, take it off. Just... just let it go. It isn't necessary... So... Yeah, there you go.

Archived