CTD When I go Outside

Kasz94

Hey guys.

I recently installed and uninstalled the Astralis mod. But now I noticed whenever I try to go outside into the cyrodiil my game crashes!

I really don't know what to do ;/

It happened when I installed Astralis but the problem remained even though I uninstalled the mod... did I uninstall it properly? I deleted all the associated files ;S

This really is confuzing me.

Did you load a save that relies on that particular mod?

Saves are not changed when you add a new mod or delete an old one. Most of the time the game can work around a removed mod - you get the message that some content may no longer be available. Other mods make unfixable changes to the game and it will be looking for things placed in the game world that are no longer there. Most often these will be seen as certain cells that cause a crash when you enter that cell. Or if the removed content is something that can be seen from more than that cell, when you look in that direction and should be able to see the content - such as a tower or house in the distance that no longer exists in the game world.

First try a very early save - preferably just after completing Helgen - If it works, fast travel to the place where you had that problem and try to duplicate it - if you do not crash, then that is most likely your problem. You can zero in on it by trying various saves - try to bracket the exact save where it changes - load a recent save and test, if it crashes try a much older save. when you find one that works you know the crash is between them. keep narrowing down the problem till you find the place where one save works, and the next one crashes - you may want to continue the game from there.

I hadn't even done anything with the mod, I just activated it and loaded a game that was already outside. It crashed.

Loading one who's in an interior cell works fine but as soon as I go outside into Cyrodill it crashes. No matter wich save game, new game, other characters, its all the same ;/

But thanks for trying to help!

Might be a little late on this topic but is it the same exterior cell you're loading into or anywhere in Cyrodiil? Just wondering if it might be a bad spawn point at all

Anywhere in Cyrodiil as far as I know.

Not familiar with that mod. Here are a couple of known general issues that cause that sort of CTD:

* Black Screen or Game Crash in Exterior Cells

Problem

The game screen turns black upon entering an external cell, or CTDs.

Cause

Bad shader implementation in the video cards drivers, mostly seen on Intel GMA X3100 integrated graphics when using Windows 7.

Workaround

Change the following values in the Oblivion.ini file:

bUseWaterShader=0

bUseWaterReflections=0

* Problem

In some areas the game crashes within seconds of entering the area.

Cause 1

Requirement for specular lighting in the areas, while it has been switched off.

Solution

Set Specular Distance in the in-game video options to minimum.

Workaround

Set the variable bDoSpecularPass in Oblivion.ini to 1 if you switched it off before. You can turn it back off after you're past the problem area.

Cause 2

Corrupted master file. Casual crashes in Oblivion are to be expected, but sometimes the crash corrupts the master file causing exceptional crashiness in damaged areas (and as result likehood for further corruption of the file).

Workaround

Be in the first person perspective mode. As soon as you enter the area, look straight down at the floor and run to the desired exit door using your feel (map, hints from the floor looks), without looking up. Of course you can't do much in such areas that way. It can get you, say, across the Skingrad castle courtyard though.

Solution

Reinstall Oblivion. Your saves shouldn't be lost but just in case back them up (My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Saves) then uninstall Oblivion (with Add/Remove Programs), reboot, install Oblivion again, possibly reboot again. Most likely your savegames are still present, if not, recover from backup. Don't start with a savegame created in the crashy area, pick an earlier one if needed. If you would prefer not to reinstall the game, you can restore your autosave. Go to your Saves directory (commonly C:\Documents and Settings\"user name"\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Saves) and delete autosave.ess. Then rename autosave.bak to autosave.ess. Occasionally, the .ess and .bak will not have been generated during the same save, so restoring the .bak will result in starting from 2nd most recent autosave point. For reasons unclear, following the steps in Solution 2 will cease corruption of autosave files also.

Solution 2

Stop overwriting existing save files and avoid using Quicksave. Disabling quicksaves will have a dramatic effect in reducing crashes. Supporting the hypothesis that corrupted saves cause game crashes rather than game crashes corrupt saves, it seems that clicking "new save" everytime will eliminate those pesky "crash on area transition" crashes. Autosave is still ok.

Cause 3

iShadowMapResolution was changed from 1024 to 256 in Oblivion.ini for patch 1.2

Solution

Open Oblivion.ini. Find iShadowMapResolution. Change 256 to 1024. Close Oblivion.ini and save changes.

Cause 4

HDR lighting is enabled

Solution

Just go into video settings and turn HDR lighting off.

Cause 5

Internal shadows are turned off. Sometimes going through a door will immediately CTD.

Solution

Turn on Internal shadows.

Good luck.

-Dubious-