ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Need a Job

superalpacca

Ok so, I got Enlisted into the military, but it turns out being a Communications Technician is really, really boring. I need something to do while I sit here in my baracks and be bored, any Moderation jobs open I can take? (I dont need paid, Airman E-1 paygrade pays enough I guess...) Edited by superalpacca

What else is, the military is reallllyyyyy weird.....I was trained to fight, Im deadly accurate and physically capible of fighting hand to hand combat...but they dont let Comm Tech's fight... Really? I mean, I know im trained to fight for different situations (Such as national defense, or Martial Law Peacekeeping, etc.) But when am I ever going to get to use this...? I wanted to be out in there in the front lines, but apperently not..

Ehh...no, Im afraid the Airforce is a bit more....humanitarian this day and age, they didnt teach us anything like that. Basically they taught us melee combat, Rifle Marksmanship, Bayonette combat, and more (Why we would need that, I dont know) We did obstacle courses, and a Hell of a lot of reading instruction books and listening to lectures from the CO.

We also did realism combat training, also field training (that was a lot of fun, grueling though...) We had to stay on a mountain and drag around a "wounded soldier" trying to get to the E-vac on time, and we kept missing it, (My unit wasnt all that quick... we almost failed) our last point and we got there juuuuuuuust on time...we spent 4 whole days on that freezing A** mountain with just our standard gear. (I dont know why the Airforce teaches us this...this is something the marines or the army would teach you, but still) besides, im a Communications Technician...Not like I fight anyway...

Ehh...no, Im afraid the Airforce is a bit more....humanitarian this day and age, they didnt teach us anything like that. Basically they taught us melee combat, Rifle Marksmanship, Bayonette combat, and more (Why we would need that, I dont know) We did obstacle courses, and a Hell of a lot of reading instruction books and listening to lectures from the CO.

We also did realism combat training, also field training (that was a lot of fun, grueling though...) We had to stay on a mountain and drag around a "wounded soldier" trying to get to the E-vac on time, and we kept missing it, (My unit wasnt all that quick... we almost failed) our last point and we got there juuuuuuuust on time...we spent 4 whole days on that freezing A** mountain with just our standard gear. (I dont know why the Airforce teaches us this...this is something the marines or the army would teach you, but still) besides, im a Communications Technician...Not like I fight anyway...

Mostly because it's standard practices. Stuff like that doesn't seem too important until you're having to bail out of a plane that is flying over hostile territory just to go on leave. It's better to have it and get signed off on it for that 1 in a billion chance that you'd need it, than to have that chance come up and have no experience to work from.

It also has this aspect of "doing stuff" that is a primary component of making bootcamp bootcamp.

That's what the military is, not just the AF, all military - 99% boredom and 1% pure terror. Be glad you are bored. It's far more fun than the terror part. (I know this from my USMC experience) When the terror happens, the ONLY thing that will save you is all of that boring training. If you have been trained properly, you will do the right thing first, then think about it later. In your case, the right thing is to stay on that radio - No matter what's happening around you - to call in reinforcements, artillery, air support & Dustoff. It's not easy when you can't shoot back. :thumbsup:

There are ways to entertain yourself, they let us take out the rifles and shoot cans and stuff for "target practice". Most of the time we just set up a huge row of cans and let loose with an assault rifle :P

I myself never had to use any of the training, but once you get out you realize that it was probably better to have suffered through boot to know everything than to have just gotten in and not know anything. (I completely agree though, boot is probably one of the toughest parts of the entire military.) And with being a comm technician, just look at it this way. If anyone (the enemy, whoever they may be) breaks in, you won't be completely defenseless if you know what you're doing. It's better to know how to fight than not, even if you won't be doing any.