Unable to find objects with Rebirth Lite

corahm

I have a Morrowind Rebirth Lite setup and like it so far. The only problem is that if I try and load a save or start a new game the following two error messages appear:

Unable to find referenced object "netch_bull_dead" in script DaedraMalacath.
Unable to find referenced object "netch_bull_dead" in script Startup.
If I try and continue after these, it usually proceeds to display "Menu Error: Memory Pointer Corrupted" at which point I have to force close the game. I'm don't have many other mods besides rebuilt installed, and I've disabled most of them in Mod Manager trying to get this problem to go away. Besides mesh and texture replacers, the only mods beside Rebirth Lite I am currently running are:
Tomb of the Snow Prince and the Rebirth Patch .esp
Signposts Retextured 1.2
Vanilla Style Body Replacer
I know I must be doing something wrong, I've been running mods on TES games since a few years after Oblivion came out, so I'm not a complete idiot, but I'm far from an expert. I'd really like to keep playing Rebirth, but having to do a wipe and reinstall would be very wearying, so I'd like to avoid that if I can. I should also mention I'm running the Steam version of Morrowind with the mods being handled by MO2. Any help would be appreciated.

1. try running a Mash "repair all" on your saved game
2. if the problem is some mod placing the netch_bull_dead or netch_bull_dead_2 creature (they are meant to be unique/placed by Morrowind.esm only) you could find it using the latest tes3cmd alpha/pre release version
with something like this:
tes3cmd.040.2.exe dump --active --type cell --instance-match "netch_bull_dead" > "out.txt"

Edited by abot

I'm not very experienced with tes3cmd, so I'll describe what I'm doing.

I run MO2, choose the explore virtual folder, and open the command prompt in Explorer++, at which point I enter the command in. After disabling Norton, which just removed tes3cmd, I try it again and get the response "access id denied".

I'm not very experienced with tes3cmd, so I'll describe what I'm doing.

I run MO2, choose the explore virtual folder, and open the command prompt in Explorer++, at which point I enter the command in. After disabling Norton, which just removed tes3cmd, I try it again and get the response "access id denied".

Dunno, MO2 makes all file access complicated/causing problems with most morrowind tools (they are, like the game, expecting to be able to read/write files in their folders, not having them moved somewhere else on the fly or not having read/write access to them), so I really think it is not worth the hassle for morrowind.

Can you/are you running MO2 with administrator privileges? maybe that could give read/write access also to programs started from MO2

[EDIT] also antivirus can just remove compressed exe files/give false alarms even on files like MGE-XE, if in doubt try checking files with something like virustotal

[EDIT2] tes3cmd executable comes with source, you could also unpack it with universal extractor, it includes the tes3cmd perl script and a perl interpreter to run it. if you manage to install/run perl under MO2, you could just run the tes3cmd source version from perl in theory, but that would probably be another level of complexity

[EDIT3] if you have very few mods in you loading list, you could also try to open them all the construction set, and check the COUNT for netch_bull_dead or netch_bull_dead_2 in Creatures TAB, it should be 1 if they are added only by Morrowind as it should else it means another loaded mod is adding a reference

Edited by abot

I'm quite certain of getting rid of MO2 will solve your issue. Try that before doing anything else.

Besides what have you got to lose, except for wasting time of trying fix your issue at the same time using MO2.