The true sequel to X-Com

Halororor

There's quite a bit of negativity on the net surrounding the new X-com, so I've decided to make this thread on what is possibly the truest X-com remake out there. Take note I haven't actually played the original X-com, so I can't compare them, but do note that Xenonauts is my first contact with the genre, and I fell in love with it. Before Xenonauts, I had no idea why people were getting so angry at the fact that X-com was being turned into an FPS. Now I understand.

Anyway, seeing as a pic is better than a thousand words, I've decided to use pics to show you why this game is worth your time.

This right here is your Geo map. Nothing fancy, certainly not able to rival the AAA X-com in graphics, but it serves its purpose.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2070ubq.jpg

This is the options you get for engaging alien aircraft. I didn't screencap the actual engagement, but you actually engage them in real-time and have tactical commands you can issue to your aircraft, such as tactical manoeuvres that allow you to evade enemy fire, etc. You can also activate and deactivate weapons on your aircraft during the engagement. Not sure if any of this was in the original X-com, so bear with me.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2s1assi.jpg

So you've shot down the ufo, now you send your team in their chopper to head out to the crash site.

http://i45.tinypic.com/idrriq.jpg

That's right, isometric 2D. Looks awesome in my opinion, but I've got a soft-spot for isometric 2D games. Just two notes that you can see on that screen;

1 - You can set how many movement points should be held out so that your units can retaliate during the enemy's turn.

2 - Movement is grid-based. You get a set amount of movement points per character and you choose whether to leave any over or use them all up.

Oh, and if you wanted to have a peek at what the enemy is doing during their turn, think again. This screen pops up when it's their turn to move.

http://i48.tinypic.com/30ddr4o.jpg

Then, as an extra, this is what the soldier screen looks like, where you equip your people. Vehicle and aircraft screens look much the same.

http://i47.tinypic.com/301knc5.jpg

And then last, but not least, there's a full xenopedia for those who love to read up on the lore of the aliens, weapons, UFOs, vehicles, etc.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2uiw775.jpg

So, that's pretty much it. Just thought that for those guys who aren't quite happy with what they're seeing in X-com: Enemy Unknown I'd post this so they know there's an X-com remake out there that's apparently a lot more true to the original game's roots.

It's only about $20 over at Desura, which is a bit expensive, but still a lot cheaper than the AAA remake. It's still in alpha, but as of two days ago it's only 2 builds away from going into beta. They're still adding a ton of stuff and are planning a lot of improvements. For now, though, the game is pretty solid. It's been eating away at the hours in which I'm supposed to be studying. A true 'just 10 more minutes' game.

Oh, and it's pretty challenging. I keep getting decimated about an hour into each game. On Easy difficulty.

Kinda pissed me off how people flipped out about XCOM. It looked kind of interesting and then everyone was talking like they had already played it and know its the worst game ever. But its not even out, and won't be until next year. Because they delayed it to satisfy the people who freaked out. But some of the changes they are making do sound interesting.

And then there is XCOM Enemy Unknown which is supposed to be more like the original.

Well, you have to understand, if a company takes one of the absolute best strategic, turn-based games ever and turns it into an FPS, people aren't going to be happy. Same as what happened to Syndicate.

Seriously though. I didn't understand the hate for the X-Com FPS either. And then I played Xenonauts and realised just how awesome the X-Com franchise was.

Nah, I think the X-Com FPS will be made. They won't just drop it. Now that there's a turn-based X-Com coming out I don't have such a big issue with the FPS also coming out.

I'm just a bit worried about Enemy Unknown, because a lot of people seem to be complaining about it being streamlined and dumbed down.

Well, you have to understand, if a company takes one of the absolute best strategic, turn-based games ever and turns it into an FPS, people aren't going to be happy. Same as what happened to Syndicate.Seriously though. I didn't understand the hate for the X-Com FPS either. And then I played Xenonauts and realised just how awesome the X-Com franchise was.

Yeah I know. I love the X-Com games, I guess I'm just more open to change than a lot of people. Kind of the same with Dragon Age 2. A lot of people got upset about that but I still loved it. What gets me the most is that they are already angry about it and its not even released.

But x-com enemy unknown is a turn based strategy game not an fps. We don't even know if the xcom fps is even gonna be made. We just saw a trailer years ago and that's it.

Actually some of the XCOM developers have made statements about it over the past two years. They've been delaying it because they wanted to add more focus on squad strategy and base control. It sounds like it may have changed quite a bit since that trailer. I've heard it will probably be released next year sometime.

Edited by K00L

I played the demo for Enemy unknown today, I liked it. It feels a lot like the original. I also don't mind if developers and publishers decide to create game in different genres, I think it expands the game's universe and can draw people into playing other genre. I also hate isometric, I find it limiting.

I also don't mind if developers and publishers decide to create game in different genres, I think it expands the game's universe and can draw people into playing other genre.
A great example is the Fallout franchise. About Xenonauts... Seems interesting, might give it a shot whenever I have enough money. :)

I hope eitehr Xenonauts or Enemy Unkown let's me edit the Soldier's names... I always like having one with mine :ohdear:

Edited by Yoshh

Guest deleted2159825

After playing a modded version of the demo, I elected to pre-order XCOM: Enemy Unknown. I may well try Xenonauts when it is finished, as I will miss certain features rumored to be absent in Firaxis' re-imagining.

I have a strong suspicion that Enemy Unknown will be a time suck on par with the original. The troop customization and ability trees for each class really appeal to my inner control freak.

Edited by someguy2000