[LE] Getting Close to Converted Follower Freezes Game

megatrainer

Trying to convert a follower mod, but the game freezes when I get close enough to her for her to react to my presence (normal NPCs would turn to face me or say "Yes" or something). I've doubled check all her meshes and textures. Is there anything that comes to mind with this sort of issue? It's gotta be something with the esp but I converted it to form 44 without issue.

Can anyone help me figure this out? Really want the follower in my game. I haven't had this issue before and apparently, game freezing issues aren't common like CTDs are.

Hello!

Just asking to be sure because it's an important detail -- did you use SSE NIF Optimizer to convert the NIFs/meshes for SSE?

Along with saving the 32-bit ESP in CK 2.0 to make it 64-bit (Form 44) you have to convert all the custom meshes that your follower mod is dependent on (like if it's a "standalone", meaning they are locked to their own body/head meshes -- like your otter race follower mod) using an awesome tool called SSE NIF Optimizer. Just make sure you convert headparts (ie. hair, hairlines, eyes, head, brows, mouth, and FaceGeom NIF) and non-headparts (ie. armors, body, feet, hands, weapons, etc) separately. When you convert headparts ONLY, make sure you have HEAD PARTS ONLY toggled on in SSENO. For the non-headparts, leave it un-toggled. MAke sure you have a backup of the mod's original, pre-optimized meshes beacuse once it's optimized you can't revert them back.

Edited by justinglen75

Hello!

Just asking to be sure because it's an important detail -- did you use SSE NIF Optimizer to convert the NIFs/meshes for SSE?

Along with saving the 32-bit ESP in CK 2.0 to make it 64-bit (Form 44) you have to convert all the custom meshes that your follower mod is dependent on (like if it's a "standalone", meaning they are locked to their own body/head meshes -- like your otter race follower mod) using an awesome tool called SSE NIF Optimizer. Just make sure you convert headparts (ie. hair, hairlines, eyes, head, brows, mouth, and FaceGeom NIF) and non-headparts (ie. armors, body, feet, hands, weapons, etc) separately. When you convert headparts ONLY, make sure you have HEAD PARTS ONLY toggled on in SSENO. For the non-headparts, leave it un-toggled. MAke sure you have a backup of the mod's original, pre-optimized meshes beacuse once it's optimized you can't revert them back.

Yes, of course. I made sure to do every mesh correctly. Seems like other people have also had this issue based on the comments on the mod's Oldrim page. I also ran Nifscan on all the meshes and textures and didn't get any issues. I'd like to note that if I go free cam (tfc) I can go and look at her without issue, it's only when I, as the player character, walk up to her that the game freezes. It happens the moment I enter the radius where NPCs will usually react to your presence and turn to face you

Ok, just making sure :) I've ran into a similar issue like this before and I think it might/could be a texture issue somewhere. You might be able to troubleshoot that by removing any standalone textures folder (a single folder for textures and the facetint DDS file) for this follower and trying in-game to see if you can walk up to her without it crashing.

Can maybe make sure the hard coded textures (using NifSkope) are matching the textures in the ESP. I think I ran into this once before because I was using a different complexion texture in the CK than what I hard coded in the head NIF and the facegeom NIF via NifSkope. Probably not much help there, it's something to look at I guess.