[WIP] - Destroy the Thieves Guild

bruce142

It bothered me that you can destroy the Dark Brotherhood but not the thieves guild. Well now I was so fed up with this that I've decided to make my own "Destroy the Thieves Guild" quest. I've made a lot of progress (Made Brynjolf non-essential and non-invulnerable, made the thieves guild members non-essential, added (not so great, you will never be able to do this without new voice acting) duplicated and edited guard dialogue lines when you've completed Destroy Thieves Guild quest, copied most of the stuff from the DBDestroy quest). But there are still a few things that needs to be done :

- Make the Thieves guild members attack you on sight when you have killed Brynjolf. (I've tried anything but with no result)

- Spare Galathil (she attacks you if you attack any of the thieves guild members, she is still essential but I've to disable her manually if I want to kill the others), as players may want to change their appearance after this quest.

- Fail the No Stone Unturned quest or make a new actor which can start/finish this quest.

What I may consider to add in the future :

- A new questgiver (now it's still commander Maro). Need voice actors for this. (Mjoll as questgiver in the final version)

- Any suggestions except for those that are listed in the list (may be updated) below.

The following ideas will not be possible as they interfere with the normal gameplay of Skyrim (aka break lore):

- Possibility for the player to kill Maven Black-Briar as she's needed for the main quest "Season Unending". (included in version 1.1)

Ideas/suggestions and feedback are welcome.

You can follow the progress here (but I've asked the moderators to lock this topic as I don't need it anymore) : http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/796096-need-help-with-the-conditions-for-the-destroy-the-dark-brotherhood-quest/

Edit : all thieves guild members except for Galathil (this is intended) and Etienne Rarnis (this is a bug, I've checked the script lines they're the same as anyone, so why won't he attack seems a mystery) will attack the player on sight after killing Brynjolf. Etienne Rarnis fixed, only had to add a script line that modifies his confidence (from cowardly to foolhardly) after killing Brynjolf "Setav/modav/forceav (confidence,4)" Script lines don't seem to work, I'll change his confidence in the actorbase.

Final version released : http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/28880

Edited by bruce142

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds great! I hate the lack of choices in Skyrim and the lame ass fact that you're basically forced into thieves guild.

I hate ... the lame ass fact that you're basically forced into thieves guild.

To be fair, you're not actually forced to join. During my first playthrough of Skyrim, I finished the MQ without ever joining the Thieves' Guild. Even though the quest markers direct you to join, you are told (by Delphine, I think) that Esbern is located in the tunnels beneath the Ratway, and nothing stops you from going down there without speaking to Brynjolf.

That said, this is certainly a good idea. More freedom is never a bad thing, and helps to define your character. I'll likely download this when it becomes available.

I hate ... the lame ass fact that you're basically forced into thieves guild.

To be fair, you're not actually forced to join. During my first playthrough of Skyrim, I finished the MQ without ever joining the Thieves' Guild. Even though the quest markers direct you to join, you are told (by Delphine, I think) that Esbern is located in the tunnels beneath the Ratway, and nothing stops you from going down there without speaking to Brynjolf.

That said, this is certainly a good idea. More freedom is never a bad thing, and helps to define your character. I'll likely download this when it becomes available.

I always hated how Brynjolf sneaks up on you and tells me that I haven't done a day's work for all that gold i'm carrying, btw you can also ask Keerava for the location of Esbern.

Edited by bruce142

I was thinking to make Maven Black-Briar the quest giver when she's a jarl (makes sense as she uses the tg to gain power and she doesn't need the tg no more if she's a jarl). What do you guys think?

I actually think that doesn't makes too much sense for her. If she destroyed the Thieves Guild she would still lose influence with the criminal scum of Skyrim, I think she'd still like to have them there so she can pull on their strings and have both the law and the lawless under her thumb.

Also doing it that way makes it so that you can't destroy the thieves guild without going through the main quest. I have a level 50 character who is doing the main quest but hasn't gotten to that point. I don't want to wait that long to destroy them.

I was thinking to make Maven Black-Briar the quest giver when she's a jarl (makes sense as she uses the tg to gain power and she doesn't need the tg no more if she's a jarl). What do you guys think?

I actually think that doesn't makes too much sense for her. If she destroyed the Thieves Guild she would still lose influence with the criminal scum of Skyrim, I think she'd still like to have them there so she can pull on their strings and have both the law and the lawless under her thumb.

Also doing it that way makes it so that you can't destroy the thieves guild without going through the main quest. I have a level 50 character who is doing the main quest but hasn't gotten to that point. I don't want to wait that long to destroy them.

I was thinking about having two questgivers, you will be able to destroy the thieves guild regardless of your progress in the Main Quest. But maybe you're right, she has a lot of influence in the thieves guild and she won't give this up so easily.

An other suggestion, you will be given a letter form an anonymous person (maybe he will wear a Guy Fawkes mask :wink: ) who want to see the thieves guild gone. So you would be more of a bounty hunter then a quest slave :laugh: .