Need advice ASAP (Less than 13 hours left!)

isidore22

I am completely torn and I need some advice with only 13 hours to make a desicion!

I have Skyrim on the xbox 360 but I drool over some of the mods that are out there for PC. Skyrim is on sale on steam @ 40% off for 13 more hours.

>>>>>>>>>THE QUESTION:<<<<<<<<<<<

SHOULD I BUY IT ON PC IN ADDITION TO MY XBOX COPY?

- I have a mediocre pc. I am on a macbook pro with bootcamp.

- My specs are: geforce 9600gt, 2.66 core2duo

Is it worth the second buy for mods and will it run decent enough on low-med settings for me to enjoy the game? I dont want to pay for Skyrim again if everything is going to be choppy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BIG BIG BIG THANK YOU IN ADVANCE TO ANY AND ALL HELP! I am a fan of Skyrim and I appreciate any other peoples opinions, no matter which way they lean!!

P.S. - I know this is not posted in the right location but I need people who are actively on the forums before my time runs out and the other forum areas are dead at this time of night/morning. I dont mind if this gets moved or deleted after some given time. I just need answers within the allotted time limit. =/

edit: I want to enjoy these mods that all of you are working on. Thats why I ask if the pay is worth the mods and if my comp will run well enough to enjoy them.

Edited by isidore22

Check out youtube with "9600 GT Skyrim" and you'll find some gameplay scenes you can compare.

When it comes to mods: I think only the mods even without Skyrim would be worth to buy...there is much great stuff out there that enhances the gameplay and -time, and plenty mods to be released in the future.

And even without modding knowledge you can adjust and create many things yourself.

Edited by ghosu

Get it. I play on barely-medium settings and it's not too bad, if you're patient right after it loads up... and you know if you don't get it now you'll kick yourself later. Mods add so much replay value, too, I don't think you'd regret it.

Get it. I play on barely-medium settings and it's not too bad, if you're patient right after it loads up... and you know if you don't get it now you'll kick yourself later. Mods add so much replay value, too, I don't think you'd regret it.

Hmm, I think I'm nearing a desicion. Anymore insight and opinions are HEARTILY welcome. KUDOS to those who reply with their opinions! =)

I would probably be playing on medium settings. I am balancing this: ---=== Is $50 worth Skyrim on my PC with mods > saving $50 and playing without mods on my xbox??? ===---

It depends on what mods you're drooling over. Big graphical overhauls and mods that add many more on-screen actors won't work so well (something like Warzones is basically unplayable on my C2D 3.0Ghz/9600GT). Mods like new companions, new quests, new player houses, new armor and weapons, bug fixes--those should work fine.

Skyrim is the sort of game that will be on sale 2 or 3 times a year, so it's also a question of how badly do you want to play a modded game now.

It depends on what mods you're drooling over. Big graphical overhauls and mods that add many more on-screen actors won't work so well (something like Warzones is basically unplayable on my C2D 3.0Ghz/9600GT). Mods like new companions, new quests, new player houses, new armor and weapons, bug fixes--those should work fine.

Skyrim is the sort of game that will be on sale 2 or 3 times a year, so it's also a question of how badly do you want to play a modded game now.

Hey, thanks for the reply! =) I've got like 8 hours left to decide.

1) You pretty much said exactly what I'm interested in. I wanted to add armor, some weapons, companions, change a few of their looks, and etc.

2) 40% off is a great deal and I dont know if I'll get a better one anytime soon. There is more than likely another expansion coming this holiday season and I doubt the price will drop during that time.

3) PLEASE tell me about your gameplay experience since we have similar specs. How is your framerate / lag? Is the game fluid at semi decent settings?

I have a slightly better graphics card (9800 GT) and can play a smooth and pretty game with some tweaking. You might have to give up on some mods, etc, but there are a lot of guides that can help. However, if you want plug-and-play perfection, I don't think you will find that. It'd get it if you enjoy tinkering with your computer as much as game playing.

Edited for spelling. Derp.

Edited by Georgiegril

1) You pretty much said exactly what I'm interested in. I wanted to add armor, some weapons, companions, change a few of their looks, and etc.

I'm on a native Windows machine so don't know how much performance Bootcamp subtracts, but I wouldn't think you would have any problems.

2) 40% off is a great deal and I dont know if I'll get a better one anytime soon. There is more than likely another expansion coming this holiday season and I doubt the price will drop during that time.

Actually you can currently get it for even less than the Steam sale at Green Man Gaming: link.

And I'm not trying to dissuade you, but Steam had Skyrim on sale when Dawnguard was released for PC...it's a common tactic: sale on the core game, new DLC at full price.

3) PLEASE tell me about your gameplay experience since we have similar specs. How is your framerate / lag? Is the game fluid at semi decent settings?

A lot depends on screen resolution...I play on a 720p big screen TV and have settings at medium or high, draw distances around medium, and it works fine. Some jitters at a few specific locations (looking down on Whiterun from Dragonsreach) and some unfortunate pop-in of distant textures, but 30fps in normal play. That's with some modded armors and weapons, and two script-heavy companions, but without any big texture packs.

Edited by DreamKingMods

Hey, I say go for it. I'm running skyrim on an old laptop, barely being able to play smoothly on tweaked Med-Low settings, but I also have skyrim for the xbox.

And I have to say, I love both versions!

I'm mainly using the PC copy for modding, etc. And the nice thing is that when I get tired of playing skyrim modded and with "meh" graphics, I can just start my xbox and play a vanilla game that almost always runs smoothly. It might sound weird now, but I'm sure you'll experience the same thing ;) And just so you know, there are some fantastic mods out there that compensate for the "meh" graphics. It took a while before I decided to go the Xbox way. Im just really happy that I have both copies of the game!

I hope this helped you make a decision :)