Latest SKSE Crash to Desktop

SpadesNeil

Since nothing seems to work, start over

first validate your game cache files through steam - this fixes a lot of problems. Especially with some of those who tried to get Skyrim to work without steam first. Link: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

Then reread the install instructions for SKSE - they have changed recently

[ Installation ]

1. Copy the .dll and .exe files to your Skyrim directory. This is usually in your Program Files folder under Steam\SteamApps\common\skyrim\. If you see files named TESV and SkyrimLauncher, this is the correct folder. Do not copy these files to the Data folder as with a normal mod. The "src" folder is only useful for programmers, most users can ignore it.

2. Copy the .pex files in Data\Scripts\ into the Data\Scripts\ folder of your installation. The .pex files are needed by all users of SKSE.

3. Copy the .psc files in Data\Scripts\Source\ into the Data\Scripts\Source\ folder of your installation. The .psc files are only needed if you have the CreationKit installed and intend to create or compile Papyrus scripts.

If any of these folders do not exist, you will need to create them.

Launch Skyrim without SKSE and with no mods to verify that it works.

Now, with no mods active try launching with the SKSE launcher. It should launch.

With no mods that require SKSE it still should launch,

If it does not launch, troubleshoot without mods until you get it to work. Then add mods one at a time so you will know which one causes problems.

At that time you will need to start learning about BOSS if you want to add more mods.

• 1 year later...

I also had some crashing due to SKSE. Which did not surprise me.

I ran it to try to make it so my hair mods would not crash the race change menu....which it did fix with the pre-cache killer mod fix.

But then I started getting a crash to the desktop at weird points.

No longer running SKSE fixed the issue.

Since I have no mods that require it anywise I only had to have it to fix that race menu thing...which I guess I will suffer with.

• 4 weeks later...