Animations

silerfire

Take this with a grain of salt 'cause I've only played for about a half hour now, but my only major disappointment so far is the animations.

I've always preferred my RPG's in 3rd-person and my shooters in 1st-person, but I was astounded with how well Mass Effect blended the two. I'm happy to see that FO3 has followed suit, but the immersion is lost when you watch the animations. Stick figures on a screen. :blink:

I don't want to be the first to start demanding radical changes to a game we've been waiting ten years for, so I'll say that if somebody can help me learn how to do this myself or at least point me in a good direction, I'd be more than happy to fix it.

As I've been wandering around Vault 101, the running and walking animations are WAY off. The limbs move too slow and the movement is too fast when running and vice/versa with walking.

The vault suit isn't spandex-tight anymore so you'd think it'd move a little... maybe that's asking a lot, but it looks like the Vault 101 laundry operators need to cut down on starch. :pinch:

As a side note: automatically slowing down running when in the cramped spaces of the vault would be sweet. Not so much that you're not running, but most people aren't going to be at a full sprint down narrow corridors and in tiny cafés.

Also agreed, all the animations suck big time, they are needed to fixed into more natural styles..

Once again I realized how well animations are implemented in Mass Effect.

Bethesda must learn from Bioware. :verymad:

p.s: I also wish to see improved female character meshes.

IMHO this game doesn't really have that good graphics.... but its the game play that i love.

When oblivion came out i was like WTF!!!!!! the textures are poo and the people walk like they have a pole up there ass.... and the jump animations......OMG the jump animations.

While allot of this has been fixed up in this game it is still terrible and as of this i always play in FPS..

Yes they can make an awesome game... but they should really fire and then hire new animators... and while there at it... make the textures blend better..... some rocks really look like there the same texture on all sides that dont line up

Unfortunately, due to the 3D scope of the game (and others like it) it has to take a hit on textures because not everyone has a great computer. Bethesda's textures and animations are like Budweiser. So much effort and money is spent on quality-control that actual quality is drastically lowered.

That's why the mod community is so important to a game's success these days. Everyone wants a unique and engaging experience tailored to their style and capability... not a homogeneous run through a vending machine.

I've got a lot of my settings cranked up, so the textures don't bother me too much, but even though most of the animations are smooth, they're not real. Walking and running (both the animation and movement) is too slow, though it'd be nice to auto-slow down in narrow areas like I said before. Ever held a paintball gun (or something similar) in one hand and run with it? You don't keep your arm cocked out to the side with little movement (like you see when holding pistols).

For that matter, in 3rd-person view, you hold guns at your waist (unless you want to use your aim and walk slower than a baby)... who does that? If your shooting something, you're going to have your gun up and extended from your body. It's a subconscious show of aggressive defense that people do. Make yourself look bigger and keep the threat as far from your body as possible. Large guns like the minigun are the only thing you don't do that with because it's to heavy to lift yo your shoulder.

In short for that last bit... When you've got the "danger" flag (try sneaking during combat if you don't know what I mean), weapon comes up and you don't walk like you're trying to pinch one off. Otherwise you manually aim.

Have to admit that while the animations are a drastic improvement over oblivion, with some very nice touches, i.e on the jump animation, when in single handed mode a character might slightly trip after jumping (something i missed in ESIV) or puts a hand out to gain balance sometimes, i also loved the fact that when close to a shelf or rock u might sometimes see the character raise one leg to lean, there's loads of little touches like that that i really appreciated; that said a lot of the anims like running, holding a single, handed weapon and the pole vault ending of the jump really do need some attention, oh yes and the female run's hip sway looks a bit weird too.

The 2 things i really missed in terms of animation:

1. Hair and clothes movement (Assassin's Creed and Witcher style respectively)

2. Injured animation, (damn it I just took a 12 gauge to the shoulder and didn't bat an eye)/ weapon recoil needs a bit of TLC

"IMHO this game doesn't really have that good graphics" I second that, while the graphics in many respects are great, they could have been a stunning (I play ultra settings and cant say it blew my mind)

What about:

Diagonal movement anaimations. I hate how your character moonwalks when you move forward-left or forward-right. That's so 1990's.

When you rotate the camera (and not aiming), your character remains facing in the original direction, instead of spining on the spot like Micheal Jackson. Maybe just have his head move to look in the direction.

Archived