Player Controlable City

XOMICH

I'm thinking about building a new city for the dovahkin to buy houses in and eventually own after a quest.

I will need help with this project and anyone interested should see the list below for particular things I need help with:

Quest design

Scripting

Modelling\texturing

Voice Acting

Anyone interested please please PM me I don't think I can finish this myself :laugh:

I'm hoping to be able to introduce many new things such as:

A new Mage's Guild with quests

Bring back the Fighters Guild

Third civil war option

Arena (Oblivion style including advancement)

Taxes

Investing in different areas of the city

Ability to build a personal army

Thieve's guild

Dark Brotherhood quests

Other misc quests

I will include;

Player own able castle

Player houses

Farms

Mines

Cathedral

Followers

Npcs

New guards

New city

I'm very much in favour of new cities, worldspaces, etc. to explore, and it's great to see that you have an ambitious plan like this. That said, if you don't mind a suggestion or two, I'd suggest that...:

A) ...you develop the concept a bit more, or, if you already have, that you let the community in on those ideas. As it stands, you've told us about the basics of what you hope to achieve, but the project doesn't have a "hook". How is your mod going to be different from the other city mods being developed? What's the name of the town? Where will it be situated on the map? What's going on in the city? What opportunities are waiting there for the Dovahkiin to take advantage of? Concept art is also very appealing, you might consider drawing a potential crest for the city and/or the layout, and posting them here.

B) ...you give a bit more detail about the role you plan to play in this project's development. People are more inclined to volunteer their time for projects when they have a good reason to believe that they will be completed. Quest design, scripting, modelling/texturing, and voice acting are essentially all the major roles on a mod's design team, and since you've asked for people to help out with every one of them, it kind of sounds like you're not planning on doing much of the heavy lifting yourself. I'm sure that that's not what you meant when you wrote the post, but elaborating on how you plan to contribute to the project will reassure potential volunteers that you have a plan in place.

Again, I fully support the idea... these are certainly not meant to be criticisms, just friendly advice to someone who (I assume) is a new modder. I'm sure that once you start giving out a bit more info on the city, that you'll start attracting more attention, and, hopefully, some teammates to help you build it.

Good luck!

I'm very much in favour of new cities, worldspaces, etc. to explore, and it's great to see that you have an ambitious plan like this. That said, if you don't mind a suggestion or two, I'd suggest that...:

A) ...you develop the concept a bit more, or, if you already have, that you let the community in on those ideas. As it stands, you've told us about the basics of what you hope to achieve, but the project doesn't have a "hook". How is your mod going to be different from the other city mods being developed? What's the name of the town? Where will it be situated on the map? What's going on in the city? What opportunities are waiting there for the Dovahkiin to take advantage of? Concept art is also very appealing, you might consider drawing a potential crest for the city and/or the layout, and posting them here.

B) ...you give a bit more detail about the role you plan to play in this project's development. People are more inclined to volunteer their time for projects when they have a good reason to believe that they will be completed. Quest design, scripting, modelling/texturing, and voice acting are essentially all the major roles on a mod's design team, and since you've asked for people to help out with every one of them, it kind of sounds like you're not planning on doing much of the heavy lifting yourself. I'm sure that that's not what you meant when you wrote the post, but elaborating on how you plan to contribute to the project will reassure potential volunteers that you have a plan in place.

Again, I fully support the idea... these are certainly not meant to be criticisms, just friendly advice to someone who (I assume) is a new modder. I'm sure that once you start giving out a bit more info on the city, that you'll start attracting more attention, and, hopefully, some teammates to help you build it.

Good luck!

It's true I'm a fairly new modder but I have done one mod already as a practice(Dragons Peak)

In regards to what I'll do for the mod I am going to build all exteriors/interiors which will be time consuming as much of the quest locations will be new and the whole city will need to be built. I will also do as much of the voice acting as possible myself but to keep people varied I'll need help. I'll also do NPCs and shops. The problem I have is that I'm not good at creating textures and meshes and they don't look good in game I also have no experience with papyrus and I can do quests but at the moment they are only basic.

As for more details I've not developed stories much apart from a general Idea of a civil war option and leading attacks against the thalmor. I also think a quest to become Jarl rather than just paying or being given it for nothing will be included.

You can always include a Brotherhood quest to assassinate the current Jarl... Then get contacted by the Jarl's Steward, who is actually responsible for the contract, he wants to make you Jarl, leave you the financial benefits ( i.e you get the taxes from the people) but leave him alone to administer the city so he can perpetuate his corruption.

You can continue the main questline, with things like fending off a bandit attack, and retrieve a Jarl heirloom, some sort of relic that has been long lost, at the request of your people. The more interest you grow in the city, the more tied to it you are, the more the people love you ( like when you go up to them and talk, they change attitude ).

Eventually, either because you've grown fond of the city, you like it, and want it to prosper, or because you're greedy and you want to take the whole power in your hands, you kill the steward, and start investing more in the city, build an army etc.

Here, you can have civil war options ( ally your city with either Stormcloaks or Imperials, if you haven't already, or say your city is neutral and face attacks from both sides ).

You can always include a Brotherhood quest to assassinate the current Jarl... Then get contacted by the Jarl's Steward, who is actually responsible for the contract, he wants to make you Jarl, leave you the financial benefits ( i.e you get the taxes from the people) but leave him alone to administer the city so he can perpetuate his corruption.

You can continue the main questline, with things like fending off a bandit attack, and retrieve a Jarl heirloom, some sort of relic that has been long lost, at the request of your people. The more interest you grow in the city, the more tied to it you are, the more the people love you ( like when you go up to them and talk, they change attitude ).

Eventually, either because you've grown fond of the city, you like it, and want it to prosper, or because you're greedy and you want to take the whole power in your hands, you kill the steward, and start investing more in the city, build an army etc.

Here, you can have civil war options ( ally your city with either Stormcloaks or Imperials, if you haven't already, or say your city is neutral and face attacks from both sides ).

Some good ideas there i may use some of them

If anyone else has quest ideas let me know even if they don't link to the topics already listed

This sounds like a really good plan. While I do not have the time at the moment to contribute ideas, I will be sure to post some later. I am not a modder atm (while I would like to learn), but I can be pretty decent at contributing concept ideas. What would be really neat is if you could somehow incorporate the functions of Hearthfire into building/modifying your castle. Now that would be pretty sweet. Any modders know if that function would be feasible?

This sounds like a really good plan. While I do not have the time at the moment to contribute ideas, I will be sure to post some later. I am not a modder atm (while I would like to learn), but I can be pretty decent at contributing concept ideas. What would be really neat is if you could somehow incorporate the functions of Hearthfire into building/modifying your castle. Now that would be pretty sweet. Any modders know if that function would be feasible?

Its definatly possible I've already seen modders using this but I have been unable to get the ck to work properly with hearthfire to see how to do it

Edited by XOMICH