Blindness and Alternative Vision

DanteWrath

This idea may not appeal to all, however I thought I would post it up here because lovers of roleplaying, new magic and new challenges may share my view.

I understand that this mod would be extremely difficult to make, however I still feel that it is worth seeing if any modders are up for the task as I believe it would add something really unique to the game.

I have a lot of semi-formed ideas for this mod, however will try and stick the the basic to avoid overwhelming modders who may consider the project.

In short, the mod would bring three things to the game; Blindness, Enhanced Vision and Alternative Sight.

I will take apart each section to describe what they would consist of.

-Blindness-

The ability for the players eyesight to be effected and reduced based on stacking effects, allowing it to get worse.

The effect would start with very slight blurring and darkening, but would amplify each time something else caused the effect.

I have a few ideas of what could begin to cause blindness, but I'm sure there are many more.

My thoughts so far would include; (I am not sure if Skyrim has any way of differentiating between different types of weapons, so some of these may not be realistic) low chance for 'blunt force' attacks to slightly damage eyesight, low chance for 'slashing' attacks to greatly damage vision, high chance for sun magic to slightly damage vision, Mid chance for fire to cause medium damage to vision. Also there could be more difficult to implement methods such as attempting to read elder scrolls, spells specifically designed to damage sight ect.

Blindness could be cured in the usual way diseases are, or if you were feeling creative perhaps require an NPC healer or powerful potions/restoration spells

-Enhanced Vision-

This is already done by many mods, such as the highly rated 'Predator Vision' mod, however it would probably need to be specific for this mod to correctly work with the blindness system.

The effects could be simple, such as life detect, or greater matching some of the amazing vision mods out at the moment.

However the two differences with this mod would be first that any effects gained through enhanced vision would not be effected by blindness. To give an example, say the enhanced vision you were using was a simple life detect spell and your character begins to suffer from blindness. As the world grew darker and blurrier the glow from 'Detect Life' would remain clear and bright, unaffected by the blindness.

-Alternative Sight-

This would be the highlight of the mod. As apposed to just adding blindness, which your character would suffer with until it was too much of a problem and then you would seek a cure, this mod would add ways the player could see once blinded.

Allowing for players who've always wanted to play someone blind or blindfolded but would be disheartened by the obvious lack of depth to playing as a blind character. At the moment it can't really be done without making your character aimless wander around like an idiot for authenticity.

There are many mods that make the world appear differently and this would simply be the same effect, only activated by specific events.

The ideas I have for this at the moment are limited by not knowing what's possible, however if the basic idea is possible, coming up with as many forms of alternative vision as possible would be where the modder could have fun and show creativity.

The ideas I have so far are as follows;

Spells: These would reveal the world to the player for their duration. The two obvious ones that stand out to me would be a heat sensing spell, making the world appear as if through a thermal camera and 'Aura', which would show the world in the same manor as life detect (Glowing shapes).

Enchantments: These would be similar to the spells, but applied to special objects (enchanted blindfolds for example) and will work indefinitely while worn. They would include the two previously mentioned effects, as well as the possibility for others for example; Sonar, the player would see the world by its edges, representing knowing the world via hearing noise reflections.

Shouts: Specifically a new shout that would cause the sonar effect for a short duration.

And of course, all the Alternative forms of Vision could be used when not blind to provide new ways to navigate in the dark.

Anyway I know it is a huge request, but one that I think would really add a lot of replayability to the game. So let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance for any response.

Edited by Dante Wrath

if you go very blind you could add visuals on things when they make sound, so a white glow for half a second when they swing at you. and when you collide with a wall too it'd glow. that'd be awesome. you could even add perks and constant-spells to enhance the visuals. you could add visuals for all kinds of situations to indicate when things are happening, like walking into objects makes the screen blur red for a time, or sloshing in water might make the screen go increasingly white or blue. so a kind of sound+pain/touch sense through screen effects and auras.

you might end up being super capable at fighting, but ruining stealth because you didn't notice you're walking over a sleeping bandit.

you could have blindness and sight work separately for each eye, so the blur goes across the screen instead of covering the whole thing evenly.

• 6 months later...

I want to RP a character who was born to a vampire and is completely blind in direct sunlight and relies purely on sound, at dusk dawn time he would be able to see relatively normally and at night, detect life becomes freely available. but the blind mod would be a great start, is anyone getting anywhere with this?

• 8 months later...

I'm currently playing an old breton mage who was imprisoned and tortured in High Rock, I wanted to play him as though he was blinded by his tormentors and got the blindfold mod. As there is no mod out there to mimic the effect I'm playing it normally and have even removed the blindfold as his vision returns haha I'd love a way to work this concept into the game, there are plenty of effects already in the game that could come in useful and the effects could be removed with potions and magic etc. Obviously the game can be gorgeous so I don't necessarily want to play with the black screen but some visual disturbance so that detect life becomes really useful would be great.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

All these years later...

I wonder if anyone ever got around to playing with Skyrim's foundation in order to only render select things at certain distances. Imagine, walking through a dungeon, and every step you take, the walls around you rez in for a few seconds, and then disappear. If you stop walking, you're left in a black void. If an enemy stirs and begins to move, you could see the area around them shimmer and render as long as they're making noise. Passing by a torch, the area immediately next to it would stay rendered, but beyond a small spot on the wall, there'd be nothing but more void where nothing is visible. Combat erupts with a Drauger, and it has the Voice to shout at you. As it mutters the first word, the whole room falls silent before rendering everything around you as the shout bursts forth, bouncing off the walls, urns, and levers.

I've only got a couple more years of my eyesight left, so I think it'd be cool if a game could pull off something like that.