Skyrim Mods and Kickstarter

Xarrian

Hey!

I just read on the Nexus main page about Project Eternity and it being funded voluntarily via a website called Kickstarter.com - it's the first time I have heard of this kickstarter thing, and being curious, I wanted to know what else is funded there. Being an active mod author, I was also interested if mods were allowed as projects to be funded there, too - to my surprise, there indeed are a few Skyrim mods registered as projects - one even got a 2200 Dollars according to the page (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/anebriate/tales-of-the-drunken-paladin-skyrim?ref=search) - my basic question is, is that legal? From what I know of Bethesda's terms, I thought something like that would be prohibited? Or am I wrong? What do you think about funding a Skyrim mod via such a website?

With the best regards,

Xarrian

Edited by Xarrian

The Editor is and shall remain the copyrighted property of Bethesda Softworks and/or its designee(s) and You shall take no action inconsistent with such title or ownership. You may not cause or permit the sale or other commercial distribution or commercial exploitation (e.g., by renting, licensing, sublicensing, leasing, disseminating, uploading, downloading, transmitting, whether on a pay-per-play basis or otherwise) of any New Materials without the express prior written consent of an authorized representative of Bethesda Softworks. This includes distributing New Materials as part of any compilation You and/or other Product users may create. You shall not create any New Materials that infringe upon the rights of others, or that are libelous, defamatory, harassing, or threatening, and You shall comply with all applicable laws in connection with the New Materials. You are only permitted to distribute the New Materials, without charge (i.e., on a strictly non-commercial basis), to other authorized users who have purchased the Product, solely for use with such users’ own authorized copies of such Product and in accordance with and subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement and all applicable laws.

(emphasis mine)

http://store.steampowered.com/eula/eula_202480

Legalese is always tricky but the kickstarter thing you linked to is asking for money to MAKE the mod. As in "you give us some money, and we start making this thing". They're not selling the mod. Bit of a grey area there.

As for what I think of it, hey, if people are willing to pay to have content made, more power to them.

Ah, thanks for posting that excerpt. Well, in that case, it does seem to be not illegal, at least, I agree. I was just curious if asking for money to create the mod would fall under what I thought I read, but I guess I misread it instead. But yes, grey, it seems... Wonder if more mods will be listed there if more mod authors come to know that site.