SKSE is killing me

ironcrown9

Hello.

I got Skyrim on Steam last week and have been modding heavily since. I absolutely love mods, so when half said they required Skyrim Script Extender, I of course tried to get it.

Tried being the word.

I have had so many problems getting this thing going, it's not even funny any more. My own troubleshooting and googling ability has solved most of the issues, but there is one thing that has my brain attempting to escape my skull from fear.

Right now, the issue is that whenever I try to use the skse_loader.exe, it says "Couldn't find TES_.exe"

No, not TESV.exe, but TES_.exe.

I follewd this video for instructions

Could someone give me a hand? If I don't get an answer soon, I think I'm going to cry. I will sit in the corner and cry tears of utter despair.

I much prefer Gopher's SKSE tutorial, but it's pretty simple.

Download SKSE. Extract it to the Skyrim Folder where the TESV.exe is located. Inside you'll find a folder called SKSE then the version. Open that, select all the files, cut them. Go up to the Skyrim Folder, and paste them. Now double click the Skse_loader. That should start the game.

Download SKSE. Extract it to the Skyrim Folder where the TESV.exe is located. Inside you'll find a folder called SKSE then the version. Open that, select all the files, cut them. Go up to the Skyrim Folder, and paste them. Now double click the Skse_loader. That should start the game.

^^^ this, with the caveat that if your skyrim folder (which contains TESV.exe) now has an SKSE_[ver] folder in it, you are extracting the top-level folder when you should have extracted from within that folder.

By which I mean the skse_loader.exe should end up in the same folder as your TESV.exe. If I open the SKSE archive, the first thing I see is a folder called SKSE_[version]. I open that folder, then extract everything (the loader, the data folder, etc) to the folder where my TESV.exe is.

Edited by acidzebra

^^^ this, with the caveat that if your skyrim folder (which contains TESV.exe) now has an SKSE_[ver] folder in it, you are extracting the top-level folder when you should have extracted from within that folder.

By which I mean the skse_loader.exe should end up in the same folder as your TESV.exe. If I open the SKSE archive, the first thing I see is a folder called SKSE_[version]. I open that folder, then extract everything (the loader, the data folder, etc) to the folder where my TESV.exe is.

Um, I put it in my skyrim folder, which has the TESV.exe.

The problem is that whenever I try to use the skse loader, it says "Couldn't find TES_.exe"

Not TESV.exe, but TES_.exe

Hell, I'll attach a snip of the message.

Edited by ironcrown9